• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st Dog Days BD Listed With English/French/Chinese Subs in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:33 am Reply with quote
No, I think your impression is correct, asimpson2006. I don't think Dog Days had too many champions here at ANN. Which is too bad, because I think it is a hugely under-rated series myself.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:43 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I wonder who subbed it. Was it some official paid subber? Some random intern in the office, stolen fansubs? Will they be literal, liberal or just Engrish?

"Stolen fansubs" gave me a chuckle.

I suppose the fansub group could always meet them in court and demand compensation for their work that had been appropriated and distributed without compensation. Wink
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Actually, I think Dog Days was a very good series. I just think some people were put off by its cutesiness, which is fair enough. I liked that aspect and I like how they used the fantasy elements to good effect.

This is from the staff that did Nanoha, so I really doubt the cuteness is why people don't like the show. From the big Nanoha fans that I have talked to, they were really disappointed in the battle system of the show. That and the characters were pretty stale (there was no 'Fate' adoration or anything like that).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Actually, I think Dog Days was a very good series. I just think some people were put off by its cutesiness, which is fair enough. I liked that aspect and I like how they used the fantasy elements to good effect.

This is from the staff that did Nanoha, so I really doubt the cuteness is why people don't like the show. From the big Nanoha fans that I have talked to, they were really disappointed in the battle system of the show. That and the characters were pretty stale (there was no 'Fate' adoration or anything like that).

I thought the battle system was hilarious. Turning into a cute dog or cat pillow instead of actually being killed or maimed? Seems like a good deal to me. And yeah, the characters were straight from the anime animal database as opposed to unique creations ... and that made this series different from 99% of all light comedies how exactly? Still I thought the characters generally had their own charm despite their adherence to well-worn tropes. I still love Princess Floppy Ears inspirational speech to her troops before the beginning of a big battle: "Did everybody have a good sleep? Did everybody have a good breakfast?" Laughing It was adorable.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:09 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
Blood- wrote:

I got the impression from others that it wasn't that great, of course not everyone is going to feel the same way about the series.
I'll say this much, it was a damn sight better than [c] ever was.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2