• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Afro Samurai Ratings Report

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lyrai

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:59 am Reply with quote
I watched it with a glass ofspoiler[lemonade. Ice cold. ]

Hate the plot, love the art style.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:03 am Reply with quote
I place the blame solely on Ninja Ninja's feet. His annoying attitude, the steriotypical "Token Black Guy" type of deal, heck, even the fact that he spends more time yapping his mouth off than Afro has to be the most stupidest aspect of the show.

The show should focus on Afro, not Ninja Ninja.
miji

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:46 am Reply with quote
I don't see this as bad ratings. UFC is supposedly widely popular and established and got .9, in a better timeslot. Afro Samurai is an anime, playing on a station one would assume wouldn't cater to anime fans and got a .6.

I think it did relatively well, as it is obvious that less and less people will be watching anything as the night rolls on.

And personally, I thought Afro Samurai looked fricken awesome, and for a Gonzo show titled Afro Samurai I'm not expecting much more than awesome animation and badass fight scenes, and it definitely delivered.
Akukame

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:09 am Reply with quote
I don't know why people are ragging about Afro Samurai getting a .6.

Searching ANN alone, you'd see back in 2003, Adult Swim recieving a .6 was seen as a big success. -> animenewsnetwork.com/news/2003-03-31/toonami-ratings-information

Even during its peaks, I don't think adult swim broke much above a 1.0 if even above a 1.0 (and thats for its non-anime days. Its anime days are significantly lower). If adult swim can't even pull much more than what its getting, then how can people rag on it so much? This is just people discriminating against Afro Samurai.

Now, I will admit its not as good as some of Spike's other programming. But its by no means bad.
master asia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:37 am Reply with quote
I was just about to ask how Afro Samurai's ratings compared to those of anime series on Adult Swim. Based on that post, it seemed that Afro didn't fare any worse or better than what's on AS.
herbkir

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:58 am Reply with quote
The "badness" of the rating is relative. It's a bad performance in light of the resources poured into making it and the expectations for it.

Viewed another way, however, a 0.6 rating among men 18-34 isn't bad, particularly given Spike's pitiful promotion. And in comparing Afro's performance as an anime on Spike against how anime fares on Adult Swim, remember that AS' ratings cover young adult women as well as men.
emory

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Akukame wrote:
I don't know why people are ragging about Afro Samurai getting a .6.

Searching ANN alone, you'd see back in 2003, Adult Swim recieving a .6 was seen as a big success. -> animenewsnetwork.com/news/2003-03-31/toonami-ratings-information

Even during its peaks, I don't think adult swim broke much above a 1.0 if even above a 1.0 (and thats for its non-anime days. Its anime days are significantly lower). If adult swim can't even pull much more than what its getting, then how can people rag on it so much? This is just people discriminating against Afro Samurai.

You're not making a good comparison, because you're comparing the rating of one show to the ratings of every show that's on Adult Swim averaged together. It's hard to say whether or not that would be adequate for total day ratings these days, since a 0.6 was worth more back in 2003 than it is now. But the point being, brand new shows to the network are expected to perform significantly over the total day average. Sites like medialifemagazine.com report total-day averages on a weekly basis.

herbkir wrote:
The "badness" of the rating is relative. It's a bad performance in light of the resources poured into making it and the expectations for it.

Viewed another way, however, a 0.6 rating among men 18-34 isn't bad, particularly given Spike's pitiful promotion. And in comparing Afro's performance as an anime on Spike against how anime fares on Adult Swim, remember that AS' ratings cover young adult women as well as men.

Yes. Spike does not target women. Their primary demo is men 18-49.
Riyousha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I see why it had low ratings. It was on too late. So I agree with v1cious. Mabey they should've put it on [adult swim] on 11:30.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Riyousha wrote:
I see why it had low ratings. It was on too late. So I agree with v1cious. Mabey they should've put it on [adult swim] on 11:30.

How is 11 pm, "too late?"
Riyousha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Oh, sorry. I thought it was 12:00 p.m. in where I live. Embarassed

Then I guess I don't know why it had low ratings? Mabey it should've been showing on Friday night.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
mufurc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:24 am Reply with quote
Whatever the case is, I really wouldn't mind if bad ratings discouraged the producers from making more of Afro Samurai. Really, this stuff is a bloated, horrible waste of resources. I hope that whatever the next project is, it'll be more than "Ninja Scroll Extreme with Samuel L. Jackson, oohh isn't it haaardcore!"
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't call 1.6 million viewers "low ratings," thank to ANN's updated status on the rating. Sheesh, people quickly jump the gun on it "being low ratings" despite the fact that just one demographic had 600,000 viewers, more than anime on Adult Swim. And combined with the other demographics, it has 1.6, that is GOOD, in my opinion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2