• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Elliott Advisors Buys Barnes & Noble Bookstore Chain for About US$683 Million

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:39 pm Reply with quote
njprogfan wrote:
Yeah...internet, preview pages, series you would never see...blah, blah, blah. I get it. Instant gratification. I'm sorry, but there's nothing the internet and all it's obvious other positives can do that will replace the feel one gets when walking into a B & N. I don't mind saying, but I get a bit giddy at the sheer size of the place and all they hold. And when you walk in it may not be manga you're interested in buying that day, maybe it's a birthday gift for a loved one. Then you walk by the graphic novel section and spot something intriguing, thumb through it and discover the next great series/book, it makes all the difference. That's the reason why I love the place. You just never know what you'll find.

When I heard about this my heart sank. Crappy capitalism at it's worse. I will eat my Doc Marten's if they don't do a slow destroy. BTW, I wish there was an Indie bookstore by me. I'd pre-order books just to spread the wealth, but alas, there's nary a shop around where I live or work. UGH!!!

Okay but you don't have to dismiss me by saying "bla bla bla". That's unnecessarily rude. I grew up going to a massive Borders, it was right down town and easily within walking distance. Then one day it was just gone. I get exactly why people love physical stores. I'm trying to say that utilizing technology and the likes of the internet a person can get great things from both it and physical stores. It has nothing to do with instant gratification for me, it's just nice that I can read and watch a ton of foreign content that I never would have been able to without the internet.

Here's something else. I have a friend that was born in China and now lives in Canada, thanks to the internet he's able to enjoy a far wider selection of series in Chinese. Especially because of fan translations, since there are many series that just aren't going to be officially translated into Chinese because of how many series the Chinese government bans.
Ushio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
If Barnes and Noble ends up going out of business I'll be pissed, I hate this whole modern "just reading books on phones/computers/digital/online shopping" technology BS thing that's out there today, what's wrong with just reading regular books? Technology "improving our lives," my ass. Rolling Eyes

Plus it's the place where I get most manga/light novels and such nowadays, along with I assume a lot of other people. Where would we be able to get them if there's no way to preview them?

Go away grandpa time to move on or are you still upset that cars replaced horse drawn carriages too. [/img]
gaptoothsailor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:09 pm Reply with quote
My issue with B&N potentially going down as a result of venture capitalism is, like others said, one or more publishers going down with them. I myself buy a LOT of digital titles, manga and light novels alike. But owning a physical book is still different because of how DRM works, and I don't want to be at the mercy of rights holders and pay retail prices for renting a sublicense that can be taken away forever. I'm still wary of what happened to Steam with the Scott Pilgrim game, and I don't look forward to the possibility of that repeating with tons of digital only licenses.
bones2039

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I hope this isn't the end of B&N. I get the majority of my manga from my local B&N. I don't care that I could save a few bucks ordering online. I like to support my local stores(even big boxes) as they provide local jobs and pay local property and other taxes which means my community benefits some from my silly hobbies. I do try to spend at local small business places first, but at least the local big box provides more to my local community than the online retailer 5 states away does.

That's not to say I don't order online. I do, but usually only things I can't get locally. Online shopping is great for those that live in areas without easy access to certain products. I also feel that buying what's available locally helps me curve my own foolish impulses when it comes to collectables. Can't find it locally, I guess I don't need that $200 masterpiece transformer anyway.

I'll admit to being a angry old man yelling at you kids to stay off my lawn because I like physical books over digital ones. I get digital's appeal but it just isn't my thing. I spend my working hours staring at a computer screen, watch tv on a screen, and look at a screen to browse the internet and post about things I enjoy. An actual book is a nice disconnect from all that screen time for me.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Again I get where people are coming from. I should also clarify by saying I prefer print over digital, I like to actually own what I buy. I simply appreciate that the internet allows me to enjoy reading series where that's not an option. My main point in this entire thread is that I personally like leaving my options open even if I prefer bookstores & print releases. I do think people limit themselves to only things they prefer and what's comfortable for them, however that's their own choice and I'm not trying to change anyone. People here can read stone tablets by candle light for all I care. I genuinely don't want B&N to close like Borders did, I don't want any brick & mortar stores to close.

Being able to read stories that don't get licensed online, and being able to discover niche manga that bookstores often don't carry that I can buy in print online. While also being able to go into a bookstore and browse. That's for me the best of both worlds. Oh and libraries as well, so many libraries are really beautiful.
darkestabsol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Oof. I don't know what to make of this, though I'm not sure how I feel about someone buying up two large bookstore chains in two different countries. That said, I have never seen a B&N in Canada, so I have little stake in this.

I guess I'm just wary. Here's hoping Elliot leaves Indigo Books alone, since B&N sounds similar to Indigo.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:00 pm Reply with quote
meruru wrote:
LOL? Back in the nineties, people were alarmed that the "big, souless bookstores" like Barnes and Noble and Borders were killing all those independent bookstores which had "wholesomeness and character." How the tides have turned.
Indeed, that was the reaction back then, but at this point, we'll take what we can get, even if it is a "lesser of evils" situation. At least B&N provides some kind of physical space for book retail, with cafés and other touches of comfort. They provide some amount of local-area employment, and most would rather have B&N in their communities, contributing to state and local tax revenues, than a bunch of vacant big boxes with more Amazon Flex drivers clogging the pothole-ridden roads.

Morry wrote:
Let's be honest here. Barnes and Nobles is in this situation because they're in massive debt. That didn't happen by accident or because of "capitalist vultures". If they go under, it's because they haven't adapted to the market, just like when smaller mom-and-pop bookstores went under when they couldn't adapt to B&N stealing their competition.
There's some truth to that, but B&N's existential threat got to where it is by evading those state and local taxes. Failure to adapt to markets is one thing; playing by the rules and failing to overcome cheaters is another.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to try and keep a positive outlook that this new purchase is going to find a way to save Barnes & Noble. I usually go in there 1-2 times a month, and probably 80% of the time I walk away with a new volume of manga. I greatly prefer buying things in store over online purchases, especially when it comes to manga. So I hope that it'll be around for a long time. It sucks that a lot of the things and places I grew up on are going away, and there's not going to be a way for my future children to end up loving them the way I did. I know that's just the way of the times, but still, doesn't make it any less sad.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:17 pm Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:
I don't get either extreme because here's the thing, I love reading physical print manga but thanks to the Internet I've been able to read manga that will never get licensed. The internet has allowed me to find so many great series that I would have never known about otherwise, series that I often then pick up in paper print if it's an option.

What I meant to say is, I don't want certain things like physical prints to just become obsolete and disappear, I do understand the ability of being able to find manga that don't get licensed in the US.

Well, if Barnes & Noble's saved by this, I'll be glad.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:38 pm Reply with quote
While I order almost all of my anime DVDs and BRs online these days, I still prefer to get manga and LNs in person whenever possible, so it's an odd month when I'm not hitting one or more of the three Barnes and Nobles in my general area at least once or twice. I am definitely not a fan of reading manga or LNs electronically and only resort to that when I don't have a choice about it. (Sadly, I may not have a choice about it eventually, as shelf space is starting to become an issue.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Something else to keep in mind: As much as the narrative is that everything's going Digital these days, basically every interview or Q&A with manga and LN publishers I've read or listened to has mentioned directly that physical sales, from bookstores, are still a sizable portion of their model. B&N going under would massively cut into that and could indeed cause publishers to either close shop or severely restrict their releases.

It would also be a decent hit to niche or lesser-known titles, especially series that don't have anime adaptations. While most digital retailers do offer previews and the like, there's still a larger hurdle to climb for a reader with digital storefronts. Generally if you're looking at a manga or LN listing, it's because you searched for that title or it was directly suggested to by some kind of ad. I doubt there are many people who will just search "manga" on Comixology and sift through every title and description until something catches their eye the way they might when browsing the manga section at B&N or their local library
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:19 pm Reply with quote
From what I hear from some industry insiders, this was the least worst option for Barnes and Nobles, and the one that has the best chance of getting the company profitable again.

There might be some store closures and sell offs of land, but there is also going to be a focus on empowering the stores to tailor to their local market and make them more community focused (at least, that's what they did with the UK store)...

I think most of the manga/light novel companies are less exposed to the kind of returns that happened in the original manga bubble collapse, so although there might be a slowdown if B&N starts massively shrinking it wouldn't result in any companies going bankrupt this time.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:00 am Reply with quote
Not liking the fact that B&N, Borders, and B. Dalton drove out many of the indie bookstore companies many years ago. I feel the same should the last major brick and mortar American bookstore, for all practical terms, die out. 146 years of bookstore history could be tarnished if they fold. There are pluses/minuses of favoring digital versions vs. the physical version of a book. I think one reason why B&N has been able to last so long is because they utilize both the e-book and physical copy purchases. Also, buying a physical book on-line means that some of the money can go to B&N and/or the 3rd party they are working with to deliver the book.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:30 am Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
Go away grandpa time to move on or are you still upset that cars replaced horse drawn carriages too. [/img]

Cars don't suddenly vanish if a company goes out of business, or your license expires, or they just don't like you and ban you from ever buying their brand again and take away your car in the process.

Although just because Barnes and Noble might shut down in a few years doesn't mean physical media dies. You can buy physical books from online stores. That's honestly how I buy everything these days anyway. Haven't been to a book store in over a decade. Same with a video game store, video store, or really any kind of store that didn't involve food or furniture.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:28 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Something else to keep in mind: As much as the narrative is that everything's going Digital these days, basically every interview or Q&A with manga and LN publishers I've read or listened to has mentioned directly that physical sales, from bookstores, are still a sizable portion of their model. B&N going under would massively cut into that and could indeed cause publishers to either close shop or severely restrict their releases.

It would also be a decent hit to niche or lesser-known titles, especially series that don't have anime adaptations. While most digital retailers do offer previews and the like, there's still a larger hurdle to climb for a reader with digital storefronts. Generally if you're looking at a manga or LN listing, it's because you searched for that title or it was directly suggested to by some kind of ad. I doubt there are many people who will just search "manga" on Comixology and sift through every title and description until something catches their eye the way they might when browsing the manga section at B&N or their local library

I'm pretty sure I remember hearing that publishers were being more cautious with the Borders incident happening and Tokyopop closing up shop. I don't want to see Denpa, Vertical etc dying off from this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3