• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 5 Unrealized Western Anime Movies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Just re-title this: "5 Near Misses we luckily dodged."

As for the snobbery, of which I join you all, it seems to stem from some idea that our niche nerdy hobby can be validated when Hollywood sanctions us. I remember talking about a NGE movie decades ago now. "How cool would it be?"

But not i see it was just my own insecurity with the medium.

Hoping that Live-Action will come by and validate Anime is giving undue primacy to that medium.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:36 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Ah, the Voltron film. Universal was so dead set on it being a franchise in 2016, then Legendary Defender happened, and that did so badly the merch sales and $3 will buy you a cup of coffee. Small wonder it was quietly shelved.

.....Did you really just copy and paste the same comment you wrote in another thread from about 2 weeks ago?

NiPah wrote:
Honestly the only good thing IMO to come from a Hollywood remake of an anime is how much money they pay for the rights that go to the Japanese rights holders, the movie itself is best ignored completely.

Outside of the royalties the original creator gets which is probably less than what they get combined with all the royalties they make in Japan alone I don't know how it's a good thing exactly.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:37 am Reply with quote
While everyone talks about the infamous Toon Makers Sailor Moon, one planned remake that isn't talked about as much was when Disney tried to make a live action film remake of Sailor Moon in the 90s. No plot details ever surfaced and I don't know that it's known how far they ever got into writing a script. The only thing we knew about it was Geena Davis was cast as Queen Beryl and she was a big driving force of the film. I also remember rumors of everyone from Melissa Joan Heart to Lindsay Lohan being cast as Serena. More recently, whatever happened to that live action Sword Art Online TV show Netflix had planned?
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:27 am Reply with quote
Suxinn wrote:
Surprised that there isn't at least a small mention of Urasawa's Monster. Wasn't there a Hollywood film in production that fell into development hell a while ago? (Not to mention how del Toro's vision for a live-action TV series is still not off the ground yet, either.) It's one of those series that I'm surprised still hasn't gotten at least one attempt at western live-action, considering that it's actually set in, you know, Europe.

And, speaking of Urasawa, wasn't there some talk about Pluto getting a live-action film too?

Having said that, I've never been a fan of western (particularly Hollywood) remakes of overseas properties, anime or not. So I doubt I'll ever buy tickets to these things even if they do actually surface. (Though I might catch them streaming out of morbid curiosity.)

The problem is that it would probably have the bass ackwards "we need a white guy!" mindset despite Tenma being Japanese in Germany is very integral to the plot (seriously, Hollywood has enough trouble get white women into big roles; putting a Japanese guy in would be an even worse uphill battle). Furthermore it's also based in a lot of European mindsets post-Cold War. So they would HAVE to set it in Europe and Tenma couldn't be whitewashed.

As for my top picks about anime-to-Hollywood film they would be:
-Black Lagoon
-Lupin III
-Hellsing
-Claymore
-Vampire Hunter D
Denys Lalande

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:30 am Reply with quote
Meanwhile, if one wants to see a live-action "magical girl anime" which has everything *except* an actual anime or manga it's based off, there's _Sucker-Punch_.... (Is *that* the secret to getting Live-Action Anime made, then?)
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:20 am Reply with quote
Because Tiger & Bunny is that one Sunrise anime to have product placement since Code Geass, I can only wonder how many sponsors have been gathered for a live-action form that could have been.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:16 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
While everyone talks about the infamous Toon Makers Sailor Moon, one planned remake that isn't talked about as much was when Disney tried to make a live action film remake of Sailor Moon in the 90s. No plot details ever surfaced and I don't know that it's known how far they ever got into writing a script. The only thing we knew about it was Geena Davis was cast as Queen Beryl and she was a big driving force of the film. I also remember rumors of everyone from Melissa Joan Heart to Lindsay Lohan being cast as Serena. More recently, whatever happened to that live action Sword Art Online TV show Netflix had planned?

Geena Davis dodged a bullet there, especially considering the director was responsible for the live action Mr. Magoo, so you know it would have been a train wreck.

The last we heard of the SAO series was early 2018 when the production studio sold the rights to Netflix. It took Bebop two years from the rights being bought to begin production so who knows?
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:33 am Reply with quote
Lament of the Lamb? That manga was the dullest thing I've ever read. Surprised to see it on this list. Maybe a movie adaptation would have injected some life into it.....(drum roll....and cymbal crash...)
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:55 am Reply with quote
Not interested in watching whitewashed stuff. When all they do is take an Asian character and turn it into milquetoast white to appease the masses of a single country, it's not worth it
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:13 am Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
Not interested in watching whitewashed stuff. When all they do is take an Asian character and turn it into milquetoast white to appease the masses of a single country, it's not worth it

The funny thing about that is the live action SAO in development hell is that when Netflix did buy the rights, the producer (same production company as Friday Night Lights) made a public pledge to cast Asian leads for Kirito and Asuna. That may be why it’s stalled.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:10 am Reply with quote
Errin: Yeah, you’re right. But might as well use this thread as an excuse to bring up the question of whatever happened to that live-action Fruits Basket?

Aiddon: Actually, a live-action Lupin not from Japan’s been in development hell for 15 years. Gerald Mulen.

Beat: Not the official LW+C remake. More like an homage.

Last edited by GATSU on Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:16 am Reply with quote
Dang, I thought the poll would let you suggest what anime you wanted to see a live-action movie of.

So much for High School of the Dead...
timber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:11 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
It’s only a manga, but if it had an anime, Lone Wolf and Cub would be in there, too.

Also, surprised Noir didn’t make the cut.

Well, they are Japanese ones instead of Hollywood ones, but there are 6 life movies dating back from the 70s. There is also some TV series, but I have never seen them.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:

To be pretty fair Japan itself isn't too much better with their live action adaptations that have japanese actors playing characters that aren't asian in the source material.
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:05 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

NiPah wrote:
Honestly the only good thing IMO to come from a Hollywood remake of an anime is how much money they pay for the rights that go to the Japanese rights holders, the movie itself is best ignored completely.

Outside of the royalties the original creator gets which is probably less than what they get combined with all the royalties they make in Japan alone I don't know how it's a good thing exactly.

There’s always the danger that a bad movie will hurt the brand, but most fans should know these days that a bad Hollywood adaptation does not reflect quality of the original content, just how inept Hollywood is at making quality adaptation of anime.

But even if the original creator doesn’t get a huge paycheck (which I would hope they get a good paycheck in reality) a paycheck is still a paycheck, and like I said that’s the only good thing coming from Hollywood adaptations.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4