• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best LGBTQ+ Characters of 2019

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:06 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Off topic, although it's good to see LGBTQ representation, but I'm sad to see there are still no characters with disability in animes

This season didn't have many, but there has been some "real world" representation out there, including a team manager in Ace of Diamond's second season and Togo Mimori in Yuki Yuna, who were both paraplegic. I know I've seen other wheelchair users in anime, as well as blind characters, and maybe one or two deaf characters, though A Silent Voice is the only one I can remember of the latter right now. And Ginga e Kickoff!! had an episode showing how blind soccer is played.

Of course there dozens and dozens of anime characters who are missing an eye or limb (especially hands), but they tend to be in shounen action series and usually have some exotic prostheses for limbs (like Violet Evergarden or Edward Elric) and eyes (if they're not sporting a chic patch instead). The currently running Blade of the Immortal has such characters, including the lead Manji, who has lost an eye. There are also a lot of characters described as being "sickly" or "bedridden" or have "a weak heart," which to me just means they have hidden disabilities that go unnamed or undiagnosed. So I'd say physical disabilities at least have not been ignored in anime.
Akamaru_Inu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm just a bit confused why the author kept using they/them pronouns for Luca though, I know he says in the manga he sometimes doesn't feel totally male or female and doesn't really care either way, but wanted others to keep treating him as a boy. I know it's rather pedantic but was still jarring to read considering not once are those pronouns used in the manga or the anime for Luca.
jymmy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:31 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
I'm sad to see there are still no characters with disability in animes, including those with autism

There are a couple of manga that have this kind of representation. I'm no expert, but one that immediately came to mind was Asuperu Kanojo, which you can read the first chapter of officially here: https://comic-days.com/episode/10834108156628963503

I liked it quite a bit and one of my friends who has ASP herself found it sensitively written. I've only read a couple of chapters myself, but will be buying the published volumes.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:34 pm Reply with quote
This is not remotely true. I'm not sure if I'd be brave enough to put them on a best lgbt+ characters, list, but they are far more blatantly romantically tinged than any one of those shonen ships. spoiler[The thirty second long 'kiss', the narrative framing of Lio and Galo as actual soulmates, and the heart shaped puff of smoke didn't give that away?]

I like Carole and Tuesday but it does not belong on this list imo. The best rep in the series was a pair of women who had like three lines in one episode. I'm actually glad to see that this list didn't fall into applauding C&T for something it doesn't really deserve to be applauded for, considering its messy portrayal of sexuality and gender.

That being said, it was disappointed that there was only one female character on the list. They're already often considered 'lesser' when it comes to representation in series (i.e. shows starring men who love men are almost always considered a bigger deal and more 'groundbreaking'), so could you have found at least one more to put? But maybe there really wasn't one this year. I'm not sure.

Last edited by kazenoyume on Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In any case, the sheer volume of Lio/Galo fanart I've seen on Twitter and pixiv speaks to the impression they made on audiences both domestic and international, whether intentionally or not. Now there's only the question of who's on top: is the robot Lio de Galón or Galo de Lión?

I can totally hear Micchy fan-girling and fantasizing while writing this line. It's glorious and I love her for doing it Cool Cool

PS: Serious question, while the increase of LGBTQ awareness in anime community is quite pleasing to see, I am now to starting to wonder, can anyone name some characters who are great representations of Bisexual characters ( without falling into the trap of "oh he/she just want the best of both worlds!") and Asexual characters (without labeling them into "oh I am just too cool for sex")? I just couldn't name one without seriously stretching it or being plagued by various common stereotypes
Kuroi Ren

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:27 pm Reply with quote
gacha wrote:
Expected a real thought-out article, got a weird attempt to paint characters gay... because they have a few fujoushi-aimed fan-service scenes? Even for ANN this article is incredibly low quality.

IKR? LOL

Promare's characters were not gay (unless you count FREAKING CPR).

Waver saw Iskandar as a king and teacher. Again nothing confirms or implies ROMANTIC feelings (Except crazed fujoshis)

Luca doesn't count since Intersex is something separate from sexuality

Honestly, trying this hard defeats the point, no?
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
PS: Serious question, while the increase of LGBTQ awareness in anime community is quite pleasing to see, I am now to starting to wonder, can anyone name some characters who are great representations of Bisexual characters ( without falling into the trap of "oh he/she just want the best of both worlds!") and Asexual characters (without labeling them into "oh I am just too cool for sex")? I just couldn't name one without seriously stretching it or being plagued by various common stereotypes

See what I can think up for bisexuals, as my mind's drawing blanks on asexuals...

-Utena Tenjou (Revolutionary Girl Utena)- Her male love interests vary between both the TV series and movie, but she becomes strongly drawn to Rose Bride Anthy Himemiya throughout both adaptations.
-"Ranka" Fujioka (Ouran Host Club)- Haruhi's father who works at an okama bar as despite his lifestyle, had a strong love for his deceased wife as such where he can't find himself loving another woman.
-George Koizumi (Paradise Kiss)- While focus is mainly on his attraction to Yukari throughout Parakiss, there are scenes showing that he has attraction to both genders.
-Rin Asogi (Mnemosyne)- Has shown attraction toward her assistant Mimi and a few male characters throughout the series.
-Suruga Kanbaru (Monogatari franchise)- While claiming to be a lesbian, has shown signs of attraction toward Araragi as she's teased him at varying points throughout the franchise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:29 pm Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:

That being said, it was disappointed that there was only one female character on the list. They're already often considered 'lesser' when it comes to representation in series (i.e. shows starring men who love men are almost always considered a bigger deal and more 'groundbreaking'), so surely you could have found at least one more to put? But maybe there really wasn't one this year. I'm not sure.

Compared to 2018 where there were few number of titles that would fit the bill (mainly Bloom into You and Kase-san), 2019 was absolutely PITIFUL of anime offerings in comparison. Even stuff like Manaria Friends or maybe Jet Girls are stretching it. I'm really hoping 2020 picks up the slack.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:32 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:

Off topic, although it's good to see LGBTQ representation, but I'm sad to see there are still no characters with disability in animes, including those with autism(like me). I would be pleased to see disabled people, including an autistic people in animes. I feel like people with disabilities are ignored and forgoten. Like in all of countries, people with disabilities are exist in Japan but not in many animes.

There are some, kinda. With the Tokyo 2020 Paralympics coming up

https://www.nhk.or.jp/anime/anipara/en/

Like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsvkGe2cgDY

Last edited by enurtsol on Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
MasterGhost

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Some of the picks are less outright LGBTQs and more "they are LGBTQs because the author of this article decides to interpret them as such". Which I think is really disrespectful to the fanbases of these characters who think otherwise, given the position of ANN as an official source for anime news in the West.
Aaronrules380

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:49 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Off topic, although it's good to see LGBTQ representation, but I'm sad to see there are still no characters with disability in animes, including those with autism(like me). I would be pleased to see disabled people, including an autistic people in animes. I feel like people with disabilities are ignored and forgoten. Like in all of countries, people with disabilities are exist in Japan but not in many animes.
There are a number of anime characters who I feel are at least written as autistic but never explicitly labeled as such. Like I'm fairly positive Mob from Mob Psycho is written to be autistic, and the main female lead from Relife also struck me as someone on the spectrum as someone who personally has been diagnosed with asperger's syndrome
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Kuroi Ren wrote:

Luca doesn't count since Intersex is something separate from sexuality

Even if what you were saying here weren't completely wrong, did you miss the big where Luca is bisexual?
Axbox360

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:22 pm Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:
Jen Bigby wrote:

No, not at all. I'd put them on the same level as Naruto and Sasuke, or Zoro and Sanji.

This is not remotely true. I'm not sure if I'd be brave enough to put them on a best lgbt+ characters, list, but they are FAR more blatantly romantically tinged than any one of those shonen ships. spoiler[The thirty second long 'kiss', the narrative framing of Lio and Galo as actual soulmates, and the heart shaped puff of smoke didn't give that away?] lot of hearsay.

I like Carole and Tuesday but no it does not belong on this list imo. The best rep in the series was a pair of women who had like three lines in one episode. I'm actually glad to see that this list didn't fall into applauding C&T for something it doesn't really deserve to be applauded for, considering its messy portrayal of sexuality and gender. .

What was wrong with the way Carole & Tuesday portrayed Gus’s ex wife? She is bisexual and that had nothing to do with the Martian environment on mars? Or Desmond who is Androgynous or pytor who sang a coming out song “Love you’re self”

People Applaud Steven universe for its LGBT characters when most of it’s characters are not even human and don’t really have a gender so they can’t be homosexual

Last edited by Axbox360 on Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
FlareKnight

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Ok, this article was pretty darn bad. A lot of reaching when it wasn't even necessary. Why not actually focus on characters and shows that had characters you could easily use for this kind of article? Instead pulling options like Waver in order to get attention from the Fate crowd when that's a pretty uncertain one to go after. And the fact that the author admits to it being a weak pick doesn't make the article any better.

And to avoid offering anything solid myself. Just go to Symphogear! You literally have 2-3 lesbian couples to work from in that show! Could have made half this article with that franchise and avoided having to reach for choices.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Axbox360 wrote:

What was wrong with the way Carole & Tuesday portrayed Gus’s ex wife? She is bisexual and that had nothing to do with the Martian environment on mars? Or Desmond who is Androgynous or pytor who sang a coming out song “Love you’re self”

People Applaud Steven universe for its LGBT characters when most of it’s characters are not even human and don’t really have a gender so they can’t be homosexual

Nothing is wrong with Gus's ex wife. She's great. What I was saying is that she's extremely minor, and the characters with larger roles that are not cis and/or het are done much more sloppily, and I don't think I'd really count them as good representation. I'm just not big on the idea of awarding a really bit part character for best LGBT, especially when the show didn't do great with its other LGBT characters.

I can easily see Pyotr as GBT, but that's very much subtext.

And lol I'm not into Steven Universe so I can't comment on that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7