• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NHK: act-age Manga Creator Tatsuya Matsuki Arrested on Suspicion of Committing Indecent Act wi

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:48 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

Three reported. Japan's not good about policing sex crimes.

Who is the third one? I only know of this and the Kenshin creator.

The creator of Toriko.
Also, I believe there was another.
wewhomustnotbenamed

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:50 am Reply with quote
Albion Hero wrote:

At the very least its gonna go on hiatus while they figure this shit show out. I doubt its coming back though, Act Age isn't popular enough that it can survive this kind of blowback.
shimabokuro series previous work is cancelled, for less when it was way more popular than act age. would be weird if shueisha tolerate this.
harminia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:03 am Reply with quote
I'd like him to get in trouble but I bet this hardly impacts his career at all.
Feel bad for the artist, especially as she's apparently pretty young.
BlueBeast33

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:12 am Reply with quote
It's pretty sickening how in Japan smoking weed can end your career but soliciting minors or owning CP can just get you a slap on the wrist. It's completely ass backwards.

Also keep in mind the artist Shiro Usazaki is completely innocent in all of this and deserves people's support. Japanese twitter wants her to continue the series, but I don't think she can do it alone.

Then again, this may just be another Rurouni Kenshin or Toriko situation, and Matsuki really will just get that slap on the wrist and things will continue on a few months from now as if nothing happened. That wouldn't surprise me at all.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:04 am Reply with quote
All I can really say is "yikes". If he's guilty (which by his own admission is seemingly likely) then get him tf up out of here, if he's not then hopefully he can pick the pieces back up. Heard good things about this series and was going to get around to reading it, but its gonna be odd with that stigma hanging over it.
Violet Park

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:27 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
All I can really say is "yikes". If he's guilty (which by his own admission is seemingly likely) then get him tf up out of here, if he's not then hopefully he can pick the pieces back up. Heard good things about this series and was going to get around to reading it, but its gonna be odd with that stigma hanging over it.

I love the series and, on one hand, I feel the same way. On the other hand, the artist doesn't deserve to pay for her coworker's bullshit.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:33 am Reply with quote
Didn't this manga just get a review here on the site not too long ago? Man, talk about harsher in hindsight. I hope the guy pays for what he's done (Though considering Japan does jack shit about sex abuse cases, I doubt he will), and I certainly hope the artist won't have to spend her life having to deal with this. As far as we know, she is completely innocent in all of this.
Junko666

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:55 am Reply with quote
I...I just can't believe it. This man was on track to make the next hit of weekly shonen jump. Even if he gave up and half assed it, he would still be on track to get a anime or live action adaptation. He was going to become multi-millionaire, he was going to reach the heights of success most mangaka can only dream of. He destroyed it all, not for love, not for money, not for pride, he destroyed everything just to assault some random school girls while riding his bicycle for literally no reason. I just don't....I....why?
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:16 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed Act-Age as it is one of the most original Jump series in ages and is good. Hearing this is kind of disappointing...

Shame some of these talented writers are atrocious people
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:50 am Reply with quote
Albion Hero wrote:

At the very least its gonna go on hiatus while they figure this shit show out. I doubt its coming back though, Act Age isn't popular enough that it can survive this kind of blowback.

This is where I feel utterly split. First, I would say good riddance against the writer for even doing that indecent action. I await whatever punishment is brought upon him.

Second, and I've mentioned this many times, but we FINALLY have a current, long-running Weekly Shounen Jump title with a female lead with a good number of female secondary cast and a unique premise. It's going to be one of the biggest shame to lose Act-age like this. But the hell with the writer though!

Last edited by darkchibi07 on Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:16 am Reply with quote
Apparently, what I've heard of the rumors online, the artist and author didn't get that well along lately, so much so they unfollowed each other on twitter.

Considering the artist, Shiro Usazaki, is only 23, I can think of a few worse case scenarios the author may have tried to pull toward her, in light of this all...

Shame, it was a great manga, definitely a fresh breath of air in WSJ, with a female lead on top of it...
AtelierTohka

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:48 am Reply with quote
I'm still processing it. I was only just getting into the series last month, so learning that the author isn't actually a good person just stings. That being said, though, I can't help but feel concerned about the artist. Usazaki-sensei was only 18 when she started working with him. And the context surrounding Matsuki's arrest gives me reason to shudder at the possibility of what might've happened to her during that time. I can't help thinking "Is she okay?" What must she be going through now, and what must she have been going through during production on the manga?
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:57 am Reply with quote
#810704 wrote:

.....they’ve literally confessed that they DID in fact do it, but go off I guess lmao.

It certainly sounds like they have him dead to rights, but it's worth remembering that the Japanese criminal justice system is even more of a horror show than the US. Their claim to have him on video is more compelling than the fact that they got him to confess.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:10 am Reply with quote
BlueBeast33 wrote:
Also keep in mind the artist Shiro Usazaki is completely innocent in all of this and deserves people's support. Japanese twitter wants her to continue the series, but I don't think she can do it alone.

True, but she also needs to cut ties with the mangaka ASAP, if she hasn't already. If act-age really does continue with Matsuki's involvement, then the artist shouldn't continue to draw it.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:12 am Reply with quote
#875573 wrote:

2) wait till the guy at least gets convicted before throwing stones and setting up the cross.

Don't need to wait when he got caught on camera.

Utsuro no Hako wrote:

It certainly sounds like they have him dead to rights, but it's worth remembering that the Japanese criminal justice system is even more of a horror show than the US. Their claim to have him on video is more compelling than the fact that they got him to confess.

It's hard to say if Japan is really worse than us in regards to being a "horror show". They generally don't even arrest people unless there's evidence, unlike the US where they arrest the first person that's the matching race and force them to confess.

https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/abs/10.1086/468111?journalCode=jls

"We suggest an alternative explanation: the high conviction rates reflect case selection and low prosecutorial budgets; understaffed prosecutors present judges with only the most obviously guilty defendants."

On the other hand, some people argue that Japan scares people into confessing a lot. But there's no a lot of ways to prove that. Either way, with video evidence, this guy is screwed. Rightfully so.

In regards to Toriko's author, I heard that he was given only light punishment because he legitimately thought the girls were 18.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5