• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: RetroCrush's Magical Idol Pastel Yumi Stream Credits Unauthorized Fansub

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:26 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
At least they owned up to it. RetroCrush still the best legal streaming service we have.

Indeed, and for all we know, they might even address this. From what I've seen, they've been pretty good about rectifying various problems with their service, if a little later than usual.
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:58 pm Reply with quote
They should've just asked the subber beforehand.
If it was my sub, I would've happily let them use my work without any compensation.
Because I only sub anime or live action that's not legally available in english, so english-speaking people can give it a chance and maybe it even helps the work getting better known in the west. So by providing my subtitles to a licensor that wants to officially bring the work to the west, I would feel honored to be part of the reason the work got a proper release and having my name appear in the official credits of a work I am dedicated to.

A bunch of years ago, in germany we even had some cases where a licensor was openly working together with fansubbers, so they could make more obscure stuff available for streaming.

I also heard that Crunchy likes to hire german fansubbers to translate subs from english to german. I don't have a proper source for that but based on how terrible some german subs are (looking at you Wake Up Girls), I wouldn't be surprised if this is true.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Have to wonder what "on time" even means for a streaming a show from 34 years ago.

invalidname wrote:
Terrible decision, and RetroCrush is getting well deserved flak for it. But it’s kind of interesting to think that they probably were within their legal rights to do so: a fan translation is a derivative work, so Johnny English Subs and its members would have no legal recourse against RetroCrush, since they can’t claim copyright on a completely derivative work.

Of course, IANAL, etc.

Indeed, we saw (as you may recall) a [url=animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-09-28/singapore's-odex-subs-haruhi-with-similar-text-to-fansub]similar situation[/url] with Odex using fansub scripts for Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. It was generally agreed upon that a.f.k. wouldn't have legal standing to take action against Odex for using their translations without permission, since they didn't have the authorization to create those translations in the first place. Though maybe there is some law or ruling that requires the fansubbers' permission, as samuelp states above.

We've also had at least one case of fansubbers being officially credited on a legal release, with AnimeNation's Risky/Safety attributing translations to VHS fansubbing group Sachi Gumi Distribution. Presumably those usage rights were duly requested from the group, and the scripts were approved by the Japanese side.
Swissman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:07 am Reply with quote
Narutofreak1412 wrote:
A bunch of years ago, in germany we even had some cases where a licensor was openly working together with fansubbers, so they could make more obscure stuff available for streaming.

I also heard that Crunchy likes to hire german fansubbers to translate subs from english to german. I don't have a proper source for that but based on how terrible some german subs are (looking at you Wake Up Girls), I wouldn't be surprised if this is true.

Sound terrible. Things like this happen when a company wants to maximise its profits while keeping the expenses as low as possible. A german manga publisher once put some character introductions in the appendix of a certain manga which were heavily "inspired" by character introductions I wrote two years earlier for a review of the same manga which I put on an old website of mine. I wasn't particularly pleased with this, but also not pissed of. I just wish the publisher had the decency to contact me and ask for my permission to use my writing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:57 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
We've also had at least one case of fansubbers being officially credited on a legal release, with AnimeNation's Risky/Safety attributing translations to VHS fansubbing group Sachi Gumi Distribution. Presumably those usage rights were duly requested from the group, and the scripts were approved by the Japanese side.

I did a quick search, and AnimeNation's John Oppliger actually talked about his time with AN Entertainment back in April! Here's what he had to say about Sachi Gumi's credit in Risky/Safety:

Quote:
When Animation began to seriously consider licensing anime, we quickly narrowed our targets to a pair of short series from Pony Canyon. Having no prior experience in translation, video mastering, replication, or distribution, we wanted to cut our teeth on something of manageable length: a single series of 13-minute episodes. I suggested Omishi Mahou Gekijou Risky Safety and D4 Princess because they were both short series, and I’d watched the entirety of both: Risky Safety via VHS Sachi’s fansubs and D4 Princess via untranslated VHS copies of Japanese TV broadcasts. The AnimeNation staff collectively and distinctly preferred Risky Safety. As of today, D4 Princess remains unlicensed for American release.

I received permission from “Sachi” to use her fan translation of the series’ dialogue as the basis for our official script.

There we go, definitive proof of an official anime release using literal fansubs (as a base, at least)!
hikura

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Most fansubbers do not own any rights to what they are fansubbing. It is a work of passion.So unless the fansubber had some rights to be fansubbing it he can not really complain. It is like if someone stole a car.Then modded a car and then someone else then stole that car.The first thief can not complain about the second thief.
Now do not get me wrong retrocrush does not come out of this looking good at all.They are in the wrong too for this situation.They knew what they did was wrong.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:40 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
But it’s kind of interesting to think that they probably were within their legal rights to do so: a fan translation is a derivative work, so Johnny English Subs and its members would have no legal recourse against RetroCrush, since they can’t claim copyright on a completely derivative work.

This is not correct.

Translations are very interesting copyright cases. The copyright for the derivative work itself belogs to the creator of the derivative. ie: The copyright for the translation belongs to the translator. Distributing it without their permission is copyright infringement.

So Johnny English does have legal recourse. Assuming they're American, that legal recourse is limited to about $500 per episode, assuming that they didn't register the copyright with the US Copyright Office (I think the number is $500, but don't quote me... it's a small amount).

That said, translations are derivative, but not fair use*, so while the copyright of the translation belongs to the translator, the copyright of the original also still applies. Distributing a translation without permission of the original works copyright holders is infringement.

I assume that the copyright for Magical Idol Pastel Yumi is registered, so the copyright holders would be able to sue Johnny English for significantly more than $500 per episode. If Johnny English were to be so foolish as to sue RetroCrush, he would likely immediately face a much more significant counter suit. It would be like lobbing a 1-kiloton nuke at the US, much worse would come your way very quickly.

So, tldr; version is exactly what Sam said:
SanmuelP wrote:
f you want to use fansubs, you need to get permission both from the fansubber AND from the Japanese licensor and sign contracts to get the rights to the translations cleared up.

Longer and more technical explanation (it's worth a read): https://copyright.uslegal.com/enumerated-categories-of-copyrightable-works/translation/

* Regarding copyright of derivative works. Derivative works that involve significant creativity are often considered fair use if they are transformative enough. If the resulting .work is a whole new work. The law/precedent in the United States is very liberal in terms of allowing derivative works to be fairuse. Most other countries aren't nearly as liberal on this aspect of copyright.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2