• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Bottom-tier Character Tomozaki

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I'm expecting this to adapt up to the end of volume 3, given the pace so far.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Me: "Mimimi, why?"
Mimimi: "I don't know, because it was there?"

I didn't like her to begin with so if they're trying to endear her to me by making her a sexual predator, it's not going to work. I've been ignoring the social self tiering offered to girls by allowing them to choose to wear either long ties- the popular girls- or bow ties- the "less" popular ones- which leads to all sorts of "But... what?!" questions... but having the second top long tie wearing girl out and out molest one of their subjects...
Ehhhhhh.....
Mimimi: "It's good to be the king."
Ehhhhhh.....
And we're supposed to support this character ganiing more popularity and power?
Ehhhhhh.....
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:45 pm Reply with quote
The first thing we see Mimimi do is actually pull almost the same move on Hinami, so it's definitely not about hierarchy with her - that's just how she is with her friends. Just to make it clear, this is more pointed to your 'subjects/kings' line of thinking on the post, I can understand not liking a character because they're too physical with people who don't seem to be into it.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:15 am Reply with quote
So we're now up to the point of "Accidental groping is not funny... but practiced molestation is a sign of affection." I see it as a Sempai/Kohei relationship gone wrong. Mimimi knows what power she holds over her underclass-mate and with that position comes opportunity.

I know the theme of the series is "Fight against 'know your place and stick to it' thinking" and no one is more abhorrent benefitting from that than Mimimi... oh right, "me me me" is her name and "me me me" is her game... but it doesn't mean I have to accept her as a "fan favorite".

I should have known things like this was coming as part of the series is that the Alphas get to declare their position outright because the Betas are doing their part by their declaring who they are, only behind them. Where they belong.

Yeah, I want to hear some reaction when people learned about the tie/ bow tie arrangement as I really was taken aback by it as it's the most socially Darwinist thing I've seen in a High School anime "comedy"; One way of looking at it is that it's just taking the san/chan honorific, that is how you see someone else compared to you, and flipping it to how you see yourself through other people. Which just makes it worse:

"I'm not a chan, I'm more of a sama."
stilldemented

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:02 am Reply with quote
It's not a one-to-one comparison, but Mimimi's issues reminded me a lot of Natsuki Subaru from Re:Zero. Both of them feel as though they aren't amounting to the lofty expectations they've set for themselves and the effort they put in seems to go frustratingly unnoticed. Biggest difference really seems to be that Mimimi's antics to get people to notice her end up being seen as endearing whereas Subaru's antics to get people to notice him ended up backfiring.

The biggest thing I see about Hinami is that she seems somewhat fixated/drunk on self-improvement. I don't think she's really doing any of this to better herself so much as she's doing it to be better than others. She's never satisfied. Always striving. And so far, it has worked out in her favor. But...oof...that kid is in for a world of hurt somewhere down the line. Because as popular as she may become, whatever achievement she garners, ultimately, she's running away from her old self in such a way that reflects that she feels she will never be enough.

There's a reason she wanted to meet up with nanashi. I figure she wanted life advice from someone she couldn't defeat in Smash Bros. If he can beat her at her favorite game, then maybe he could tell her what she was doing wrong in her personal life. Something like that. Which is why meeting up with Tomozaki of all people had to be a kick in the face. Half the reason I suspect she took it upon herself to teach Tomozaki is because she's now trying to prove to herself that her excruciating lifestyle is the optimal way to live life.

The long and short of it is that I think Hinami is more self-loathing than Tomozaki ever thought about being. Needs to learn to love herself.
EdoardoDesu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Quite sad to see that this anime is not that popular here.
Considering that it's for fifth consecutive time in the 'Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi!' , one would expect that some fanbase would arise. But I have to admit that I didn't even know this one; just a week before the airing I grasped this one. Have to say, each week surprises me for the better.
This episode, for one, it's quite good. As it's obvious, Kikuchi prefers something closer to the 'real' Tomozaki, not the Hinami 'helped'/fabricated version. Also, we see that, surprisingly, she answers quite fast to Tomozaki's texts. But I'm saying 'surprisingly' because Hinami established the narrative that Kikuchi is not prone to fast replying. So here's the thing that also Kim pointed out: maybe Kikuchi it's not comfortable with anything related to Hinami and her points of view. Maybe the two have very different ways of living, and she's not in the same 'wavelenght' of Hinami. This will prove interesting if (I don't know what happens) Tomozaki and Kikuchi start a relationship and eventually Hinami starts being the third wheel of the whole thing, and he gets into a scenario where having to choose between the two.
About Mizusawa, considering also that we have the unresolved plot of 'is he dating Hinami?', it's difficult for me to say if he's posing as a friend for someone's (Hinami) sake, if he's just being real, if he's trying to play his own 4D chess... No idea what to feel about him, but I'm thinking about some hide motivation.
Still, I believe that he noticed something in the controller's scene. But the thing is: what? I'm thinking a lot of things I, maybe, proyect on Hinami, but I'm pondering: is she really that manipulative, putting people into dates and changing their lives? Maybe she just want to do it, but not necessarily succeed. Like Mimimi, that put a lot of effort and not necessarily makes it to the top, Hinami is longing for some answer for a question we can't see...
Probably, Misuzawa realized what we know: Tomozaki is the student of Hinami, yes, and he shares a similar approach to people, but still he gets his personal POV, for example when he got honest with Kikuchi about not knowing the author Michael Andy. Eventually, they will diverge. And what will happen then?
Also: still interested if, idk, Misuzawa, or Erika (remember her?) put in the light the Hinami-Tomozaki relation, and what will happen about that. Not all, for example Kikuchi, will take it good...
Sorry for the rant and keep enjoying this series like me-
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:36 pm Reply with quote
There he is. My boy

Forget best girls, I'm here for the Mizusawa x Fumiya ship
Kuzu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:19 pm Reply with quote
stilldemented wrote:
It's not a one-to-one comparison, but Mimimi's issues reminded me a lot of Natsuki Subaru from Re:Zero. Both of them feel as though they aren't amounting to the lofty expectations they've set for themselves and the effort they put in seems to go frustratingly unnoticed. Biggest difference really seems to be that Mimimi's antics to get people to notice her end up being seen as endearing whereas Subaru's antics to get people to notice him ended up backfiring.

The biggest thing I see about Hinami is that she seems somewhat fixated/drunk on self-improvement. I don't think she's really doing any of this to better herself so much as she's doing it to be better than others. She's never satisfied. Always striving. And so far, it has worked out in her favor. But...oof...that kid is in for a world of hurt somewhere down the line. Because as popular as she may become, whatever achievement she garners, ultimately, she's running away from her old self in such a way that reflects that she feels she will never be enough.

There's a reason she wanted to meet up with nanashi. I figure she wanted life advice from someone she couldn't defeat in Smash Bros. If he can beat her at her favorite game, then maybe he could tell her what she was doing wrong in her personal life. Something like that. Which is why meeting up with Tomozaki of all people had to be a kick in the face. Half the reason I suspect she took it upon herself to teach Tomozaki is because she's now trying to prove to herself that her excruciating lifestyle is the optimal way to live life.

The long and short of it is that I think Hinami is more self-loathing than Tomozaki ever thought about being. Needs to learn to love herself.

The latest episode just kind of reinforced that given that Kikuchi is implied to have already liked Tomoazaki before his transformation, and only really connects with him when he's being his normal, awkward self as opposed to the idealized version of himself that Hinami is turning him into.
jaldaen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Such a great series and it only gets better. I really hope more people will discover that their first impressions were right in the short term (for the initial cringe)... but wrong in the long term (for all the character development). This is one of those stories that truly shows character growth... sometimes painful... for almost all of the characters.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:24 pm Reply with quote
We've finally gotten here. Now, the real conversation about this anime starts
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Not to get too deep, this anime is sneaky good. It's my kick back and just watch; I'm just going along for the ride.
TichoSlicer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's always the quiet ones, I swear.

I wish man... I wish... NotLikeThis
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the novels Tomozaki actually has to tell Hinami about the dick teasing for him to 'pass' his "3 ribs on Nakamura" test. I remember thinking that's the funniest part of the whole thing, and unfortunately that didn't happen here (I guess the implication was the girls were overhearing in their bath? It's just not the same as a dude just sitting down across from his teacher and saying very earnestly "I told him his dick is small" with a smile on his face)

Last edited by killjoy_the on Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kuzu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:30 pm Reply with quote
How many novels has the Anime covered so far?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:31 pm Reply with quote
It's in the middle of the 3rd, we can expect it'll fully adapt the first 3 novels
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3