• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Launches New Beta Website in U.S.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I thought these kinds of changes and updates weren't possible as long as exclusive licenses were a thing! Have various YouTubers been lying to us??
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:06 pm Reply with quote
@paulchaested - thanks for the info!
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:56 am Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Wish there was a way to opt-in. I'm in the US and have premium but have never gotten an email or pop-up/header on the website asking to try it.

I've had a paid membership continuously since January 2009 and didn't get in on the beta either. Not sure how testers were chosen, maybe it's random? I did get the email detailing all the stuff in this article, but that's it.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:27 am Reply with quote
Given that the queue used to work this way until Crunchyroll deliberately broke it with their 'updates', it's a bit rich that when they finally get round to fixing the multitude of things wrong with their website, they make it an exclusive upgrade, limited to a small subset of customers while in beta.
chronium

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:21 am Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:

Personally, I blame the CRTC and can-con regulations. Just like your butter issue is the fault of supply management.

Canada will get the changes as well. News articles typically forget about Canada and since Crunchyroll has nothing separating the two countries we'll get the same changes. The CRTC has no say on what a site design is going to look like so you blaming them makes no sense.

You have the same flawed logic with supply management as well. SM doesn't determine what types of food you can make with milk just how much milk can be produced with the type of foods that are allowed to be made. Our butter issue is more a problem with our government food safety regulator being behind the times and limiting what type of foods we can make like not allowing patisserie quality butter being made in Canada.
NimbusRain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:50 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
The Roku interface has been completely unusable since they rolled out a "new" version a while back. We let our subscription lapse because it was just unwatchable; wouldn't stay logged, wouldn't load shows, wouldn't remember the last episode watched or how far had gotten in an episode, took an extremely long time loading and scrolling, terrible sorting, difficult to find shows, bad user interface. Literally one of the worst apps of any sort I have ever used on any platform.

Any change there couldn't possibly be worse.

I've had the same problem with the PS4 app - every time I go to boot it up it seems to have logged me out. If I pop around on some of the menus for a bit it will suddenly remember that I'm logged in and sort of refresh itself. I've never seen another streaming app behave that way so it's really bizarre. Despite all that though, it still seems to run better than the awful Funimation app. I'm not sure how they seem to have so much difficulty doing the most basic features of their apps, but here's hoping some of that big Sony money will bring about some big changes in both of the services soon.
Alanherf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:31 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately, it is not the only app that has such problems. Recently, I have discovered a site that shocked me with the creative design, but at the same time upset me with the design of cookies. It was very annoying and I don't understand why they didn't pay too much attention to it. It is not difficult to make a cookie banner that will not disturb anyone, as I also do when I am creating a site. And I found about this here https://sitebuilder.reviews/web-design/designing-a-cookie-consent-banner-the-ux-way/.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2