• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Reveals Sailor Moon Eternal Films' English Dub Trailer, Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:45 am Reply with quote
The voice of Helios reminds me of the guy who voices Falco in Attack on Titan. Forget his name, tho
Matros

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:47 am Reply with quote
jppcouto wrote:
I'm still the only one who think that Toe Animation invested more budget on One Piece episodes than in this movie?

It's not a question of more budget, OP is made inhouse, Eternal was outsourced to Studio Deen and directed by S3's director Chiaki Kon. S3 quality is what you should more or less expect. There are still some stand out animators including Yuu Yoshiyama.

NJ_ wrote:
It was confirmed through the movie pamphlets that these films didn't go into production until 2019 (Part 1) & 2020 (Part 2) so yeah, they were rushed and thanks to the virus outbreak last year, they didn't finish Part 2 in time for it's theatrical premiere, thankfully Netflix got the finished version for that film (not sure if Part 1 had any changes though).

Still, the lack of Toei's line filters is annoying to me since it helped their other productions in recent years since late Dragon Ball Super.

>didn't go into production until 2019
>rushed
Any other production would love to have this kind of schedule. Usually it's about 6-8 months for a shonen film.

Anyway Toei aren't using the line filter just for the sake of it. World Trigger S2 didn't have it either. And as already mentioned the movies weren't made inhouse and Kon was going for a similar aesthetic as S3 in terms of compositing.
Oggers

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
Kinda of wierd hearing al that "dramatic trailer music" for a Sailor Moon movie, I don't remember the original show being this serious.

That's because this movie, like the rest of Sailor Moon Crystal, is more closely based on the original manga. The 90s anime was very much its own series, and it had a lot more jokes and slapstick compared to the manga.
1dbad

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Mamo-chan wrote:
Well, better late than never Smile

That's one way of looking at it! Razz

I don't mind Mamo-chan since it's a nickname, but I hope the rumors about them retaining all of the honorifics aren't true. Hearing things like Haruka-san in a dub would be weird. Laughing
Watanabefan

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Is Xanthe Huyhn coming back as Palla-Palla?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I don't think they would use honorifics for everyone in the dub but I won't be surprised if they also use "Mako-chan" for Mako.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Also, that’s definitely Barbara Goodson back as Zirconia, no doubt about that.

I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
The dub sounds alright I have a very casual interest in these films hell it would of been nice to see the original dub cast take control in a uncut form but that ship has sailed.

Technically, the original dubs for the movies and S and SuperS seasons were uncut (albeit slightly cut for time and content on Cartoon Network), but a lot of the dialogue was heavily localized. It was basically like FUNimation’s DBZ dub. A lot of the original cast didn’t return for S/SuperS though, and the dubbing was handled very sloppily compared to the DiC seasons.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
So is that a different actor for Helios? It's hard for me to tell from that one clip.
Sounds like it could be? I guess I'm not familiar enough with the Sailor Moon dub to tell either lol. So while by all accounts, that original actor seems to have been making active steps to better himself/seems to be supported by his peers, I could see that being a decision left up to the studio/director's discretion. And I don't necessarily think I'd fault them for re-casting if they felt at the time it was the best choice moving forward. Plus like you said, the dub could have been recorded a while ago, so its not shocking.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:31 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
So is that a different actor for Helios? It's hard for me to tell from that one clip.

I haven't heard his dub voice in the series proper, but the voice in that trailer sounds a lot like Brian Beacock of Digimon fame. He hasn't outright said anything, but he has retweeted news about the movie quite recently.
1dbad

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:50 am Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
I haven't heard his dub voice in the series proper, but the voice in that trailer sounds a lot like Brian Beacock of Digimon fame. He hasn't outright said anything, but he has retweeted news about the movie quite recently.

Could be! He voiced Ail in R's redub. Would be nice for him to get a role in Crystal, too!
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Liked him in R as Ali, so all good if its him.

If it was possible, I would totally buy DiC Sailor Moon R dub, just for the lols and genuinely like some of that cast.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2