• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:09 am Reply with quote
RegisterJustForComment wrote:
Wow! It really feels weird when a novel or other things you think are very good and assume popular (based on a lot of the reaction you find in the internet) then got another media form and then people just throw a very 'different' reaction about it.

I think it's fairly common for LNs in particular to have sort of a bubble. Everyone who's reading this or that is into it, so that's all you get to hear about it, whereas an anime you get a lot more people to watch the beginning of, and thus more dissenting opinions. This does have the 'problem' though of those specific problems people point out at first actually being addressed in the show/novel but they'll never get to see it, because it'll be in episode 12 and they've already dropped the series at that point/in a hypothetical second season
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Problem for me with these stories is that the authors are just... not learned/cultured enough, as if they're like the protagonist that read some book one time and believes he knows "things".

I think the genre has a lot of potential if written by the "right" persons.
Makes me remember Juuni Kokuki. In one of the books that was not animated the protagonist tried to implement some ideas from the real world on her kingdom and it went really bad. It's not easy to convince people about new ideas, to no mention that the idea may actually be bad in the other world and just because she is Queen isn't guarantee that her policies will actually be implemented. Very different from how things work in these new isekai where they can do anything they want. While is not an isekai, Seirei no Moribito shows a really very well realized and convincing fantasy world that also serves as an example that these stories have so much potential if written by people that are actually learned. Probably because Moribito's author is an ethnologist, but here all we get are references to other anime and manga.
kgw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:42 am Reply with quote
The "hey, I just came here but I know how to fix all your problems because you are too dumb to know it" it is a bit patronizing. Specially when is taken for real and he DOES know it all.

At least in the food part, the different characters get a chance to say each time "we eat this at home, you don't?", which is somewhat realistic. I mean, there are people who really do not eat octopus... Shocked

Last edited by kgw on Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I was also going to remind before some start in with " oh, no, veering into food anime with a stupid filler episode, the hero is an Iron Chef now, the writer is as incompetent as he is unlearned..." that this aside is directly germain to the world building and how the "hero" is saving the world here. Not by saying how it's done, but by using the resident gourmet expert of last week to highlight foods that are readily available and possibly plentiful because parochial people won't eat certain things. Now they see how it's done from the resident chef and since the King ate it, it must be really good. This Ep also shows that this will stimulate a new economy where those foods came from as well which is quite "realistic". And it isn't hard to see how that info and ability of the Wolf Child can change the dynamics of their world. Can't wait for next week...
Casval Rem Deikun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I prefer 'The Ideal Sponger Life' compared to this series. Hopefully we'll get a anime of it one day since Realist has one now.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I thought that how foods were prepared was a part of the broadcast in the manga, but it's been a while since I read the early chapters, so I may be misremembering...

I don't have an issue with the idea of an outsider being the one to change things. Sometimes it takes an outside perspective to point out something that would normally be obvious but isn't because that's just how things have been.

Casval Rem Deikun wrote:
I prefer 'The Ideal Sponger Life' compared to this series. Hopefully we'll get a anime of it one day since Realist has one now.

I'd love to see that animated as well =)
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Casval Rem Deikun wrote:

Third vote for that; it's a much more intricate story than its title would suggest. Honestly, with 13 (I think?) volumes of it out, I'd be a bit surprised if we don't see an announcement about it before the end of the year.

As for ep 4 of this series, my reaction to it was almost precisely the same as Grant's. I like what the series is doing in concept, but the execution is a bit lacking. (On the art, too; watch carefully and you'll see Tomoe's tail shift locations on her backside.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:52 pm Reply with quote
My only real issue with this story that makes me roll my eyes is the constant wanking off of Japan that the author does. Why I like stories like Bookworm so much more since Rosemyne isn't trying to turn the world into Japan when she does do new inventions.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:41 am Reply with quote
Ep 5

Well, that went off the rails in a hurry in the second half. Why would he throw in infidelity when making up a story about his parents?

I wonder what the nutritional value of slimes is. The noodles seemed more like shirataki (konjac) than udon or kudzu noodles.

I am astonished to learn that Poncho's seiyuu voiced Diablo in How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord.

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Duck Du Normandie
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:26 pm Reply with quote
From some of the comments from those that have read the books, it sounds like there is some interesting detail into the hows and whys of running a country and saving a world without just using a really big sword. But, particularly after this last episode, I'm not getting the impression the anime is all that interested in focusing on any of that. The anime seems to be leaning more heavily into the wish-fulfillment angle than is my taste.

But, for the sake of my sanity, someone please, please, PLEASE, tell me that Tomoe (? The young puppy-girl "little sister" character) is not going to end up as one of the King's "days of the week". I am so very done with that trope.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Duck Du Normandie wrote:
But, for the sake of my sanity, someone please, please, PLEASE, tell me that Tomoe (? The young puppy-girl "little sister" character) is not going to end up as one of the King's "days of the week". I am so very done with that trope.

She won't
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Covnam wrote:
Casval Rem Deikun wrote:

Third vote for that; it's a much more intricate story than its title would suggest. Honestly, with 13 (I think?) volumes of it out, I'd be a bit surprised if we don't see an announcement about it before the end of the year.

As for ep 4 of this series, my reaction to it was almost precisely the same as Grant's. I like what the series is doing in concept, but the execution is a bit lacking. (On the art, too; watch carefully and you'll see Tomoe's tail shift locations on her backside.)

4th vote.

Sponge's main character actually behaves like a human, he doesn't have all the answers but has normal logical knowledge, like Arabic numbers, that gives him an edge, he is just a normal guy that can use an excel sheet, his wife, the one who actually knows how the world they are works, is the one who calls the shoots.

Besides, let us be honest here, different from what the average target audience for these types of power fantasies think, most males would reject the idea of spoiler[having an harem.

It's way too overwhelming and troublesome outside the obvious moral connotations of course]
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:58 pm Reply with quote
^Harems are an obvious fantasy that some (maybe a lot) of guys think would be great, but I can't imagine a more perilous, anxiety generating and unfulfilling relationship if encountered IRL. It only works if the ladies act like bodies almost devoid of emotional makeup save "I love him regardless of everything". At least Alicia isn't like that and neither seem any other ladies (except Miss Dark Elf?).

I agree that the "gelin-udon" seems like it would be more like konjak but with the way it is behaving when cooked, there might be some protein in there and assuming it is like most cells, there are likely metabolized carbohydrates so it might actually be like udon nutritionally

With the cooking class out of the way, I hope we get back to Hakuya and what he's about. I can't help thinking of the Chinese proverb "keep your friends close and your enemies closer" because he gives off an untrustworthy vibe to me.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:44 pm Reply with quote
For those concerned about the harem: At least as far as the manga goes,spoiler[ he hasn't even married anyone yet, so I wouldn't be too concerned about it being a focus], though from what I've heard in the LNsspoiler[ he does eventually marry a bunch of them]
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
For those concerned about the harem: At least as far as the manga goes,spoiler[ he hasn't even married anyone yet, so I wouldn't be too concerned about it being a focus], though from what I've heard in the LNsspoiler[ he does eventually marry a bunch of them]

As for the people who haven't read the Light Novels (source) spoiler[He ends up marrying like 7 different women, so if you really cant stand harems, I advise just dropping the series.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8