• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sonny Boy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
demondownload

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Anyone else find it a little odd how Noriko reacted to seeing spoiler[that she'd died back in the real world]? She looked disappointed, but not surprised.
moroboshi-kun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:15 pm Reply with quote
This is one of the weirdest shows I've ever seen, and I mean that in a good way. I also feel like this is going be a very rewarding rewatch, especially if I can binge it.

I don't know that the principle looking like Dr. Strangelove had much significance, but Peter Sellers, who played the character, played 2 other characters in the same movie, so...maybe some foreshadowing?

Another movie that may or may not have been referenced here was After Life (1998, original title Wonderful Life, and I'm sure I don't have to explain why that got changed) where after you die, you have to pick one memory to take with you into eternity. Once you pick that memory, the staff recreate it for you in film. And writing this, if you're digging Sonny Boy you would probably like After Life for much of the same reasons. If it hits you in the right way, it'll make you think. A lot.

I still find this show a bit unsettling in a good way - I've always liked the "what if your reality got turned upside down" types of stories, and I like the surrealness of it all. Here's to hoping they stick the landing
OshiyamaFan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:08 pm Reply with quote
have to say this is my favorite review to read every week. You can feel the passion, has the right approach to the series, and something will 'click' for me that I might have overlooked. I also learn new things every week which is great. Keep up the excellent work.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
War ... who looks and acts like he walked straight out of Belladonna of Sadness

War definitely struck me like a character from a completely different show, genre, or even period, but hadn't put my finger on what he reminded me of. So I totally get that reference!

I have no idea where this show's actually going in the end but I'm very glad a show this unusual exists.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:08 pm Reply with quote
OshiyamaFan wrote:
have to say this is my favorite review to read every week. You can feel the passion, has the right approach to the series, and something will 'click' for me that I might have overlooked. I also learn new things every week which is great. Keep up the excellent work.

Absolutely agree, and worth bringing up since I don't really comment on the reviews (partially because its not the easiest show to summarize my thoughts on week to week haha).
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Latest episode may be one of the most uncomfortable and unsettling things I’ve watched in a while. The soundtrack filled me with dread throughout the episode and I loved it. It’s hard to find entertainment that can make me feel this way.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Ep 11

Interesting, but...? I like to support shows that try something different. And this show has been very intriguing to me before this. The part about Nozomi and Nagara was touching. Building the ( minor spoiler[ride home] ) was offbeat. Mizuho can look forward to a career in heavy construction, at least, if that's what she wants. (minor joke ) Or in spoiler[ rocket building].

The dialog during the last half, well, that was where they pretty well lost me; for me, it is just too vague.

I hope others can find something interesting to discuss about it. I'd really like to hear it.

PS Any guesses why it was named 'Sonny Boy'? I can't see any connection to the anglo song of that name, except there are versions of it that are wistful and/or melancholic, and even that is a very slight connection.
ab2143

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:40 pm Reply with quote
series finale? There's one more episode left

EDIT - they fixed it

Yeah, Rajdhani's one of my favourite characters in the series. Sad we won't be seeing him anymore(?)

Last edited by ab2143 on Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Matros

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:51 pm Reply with quote
"Series Finale" lmao
For a second I thought I was tripping, but apparently it's the reviewer. Someone is in for a surprise.
Dayraven

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:07 pm Reply with quote
The review talks about the next episode, it’s just the headline that’s wrong.

(On the other hand, if you told me the end of this episode was the real finale and next week was a clipshow, it’d seem like a reasonable ending.)
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Sorry~ Google lied to me about the # of episodes. I've corrected the headline.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I really liked Ep 11, but I think I liked the review even more. Unlike Steve, I didn't cry during the episode, but I did get a bit misty reading his take on it. Smile
maric

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:37 pm Reply with quote
ab2143 wrote:
Yeah, Rajdhani's one of my favourite characters in the series. Sad we won't be seeing him anymore(?)

Honestly, Rajdhani might be one of my favorite characters in any series lol

I can't wait to see what the finale will bring; I feel like this will be a series that will stick with me and many others for a long time to come. They've pretty much already done it, but a strong final episode would just be the thing to elevate it even more, and I have full confidence that this team can pull it off.

Also, just wanted to say that these write-ups have been so insightful and well-written! Definitely enhanced my experience of the show to read along after every episode.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Not ready to write about how I feel about the final episode.

In the meantime, I did come across an interesting article (written in 2014) about the band that performs the ED: https://razorcake.org/archive-the-bizarre-life-and-living-death-of-the-ging-nang-boyz-i-dont-wanna-die-forever/
The story seemed weirdly appropriate for Sonny Boy.

Also, I couldn’t find any info (no doubt YouTube will have it by week’s end), but I LOVED the insert song towards the end.
maric

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:53 pm Reply with quote
blameitonStarBlazers wrote:
Also, I couldn’t find any info (no doubt YouTube will have it by week’s end), but I LOVED the insert song towards the end.

The whole OST had been up on YouTube for a while; that one is called Sonny Boy Rhapsody:
https://youtu.be/HSDdRxAEdcs

Seriously amazing track and scene to accompany it. I still need to rewatch to fully process this final episode, but this show might be one of my all-time favorites. It's just such a beautiful raw display of creativity and artistic vision. Shingo Natsume is definitely one of the most exciting directors in the industry right now, and of course credits to the rest of the incredible team that made this rare gem of a show happen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3