• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Great Jahy Will Not Be Defeated!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:04 am Reply with quote
Would Jahy-sama in the alternate universe where she draws a manga about herself have difficulty meeting her deadlines because she's also drawing The Maid I Hired Recently is Mysterious and Breasts Are My Favorite Thing in the World! concurrently plus the occasional side project, anthology contribution, and live art drawing streams on Youtube?

(Wakame Konbu does all that, usually at least two regular-length chapters of her three concurrent series per month, with her Oppai yuri manga being one chapter every other month I believe, plus short side chapters of the Maid manga on her Twitter. I often wonder if she gets enough sleep.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:43 pm Reply with quote
So Jahy discovers cosplay, and that it can be seriously, umm, spoiler[ "mentally stunning."]

Then she gets a bonding experience, of sorts, with her hosts in this world.

At last, the magical girl appears. Seems to me that she is a little bit out of touch with things in this world herself.

I wonder if the cops will ever figure out what's going on, or if they think this much weirdness is normal, somehow. Smile
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:40 am Reply with quote
We finally get a substantial appearance of the Magical Girl in the anime but this episode really only scratched the surface of the character who might be the most well-developed character in the manga after Jahy.

Landlady (and her Manager sister) taking care of a sick Jahy reminds me so much of candy store-owner Kaede Kagayama doing the same to Renge Miyauchi in episode 10 of Non Non Biyori Repeat especially since Landlady and Kaede have quite similar appearances and personalities (although Kaede's tsundere wrath is generally reserved for Natsumi instead of Renge).

I'm seriously predicting that we may sooner or later get a crossover appearance from Lilith from Wakame Konbu's other Square-Enix Gangan manga The Maid I Hired Recently is Mysterious in a post-credits short since those shorts aren't canon and, while Lilith hasn't shown up in the Jahy-sama manga yet, Wakame Konbu draws Jahy and Lilith together quite often in cross-promotional art (often exchanging costumes with each other).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrdb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:18 pm Reply with quote
For some reason this show reminds me of Dropkick On My Devil! which I also found to be funny as hell. Jahy is minus the gore for comedy trope that Dropkick had so much of though. I really look forward to watching Jahy every week.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7 was already jam-packed with segments based on three different chapters, I don't know why they crammed in the boy beyond the need to justify showing him in the opening. The boy, who is not a recurring character in the manga as far as I can remember, was from a portion of the original Jahy-sama one-shot and they only half-adapted that sub-chapter. spoiler[In the manga version, the boy actually did find a Mana Crystal (it wasn't just a random red rock) and he didn't willingly give it to Jahy, even after running off due to being freaked out by Jahy's scantily-clad adult mode. The sub-chapter continues with him running into Druj (you can guess where his head ended up because this is a manga by Wakame Konbu). Druj bribes him to give up the gem by offering him a handheld game console, which is something he is willing to trade the gem for, but, after making the trade, Druj immediately shifts to sadistic mode and considers ways of torturing the boy for being rude to Jahy-sama and Jahy has to tell Druj to let him go.]

Quote:
We also get the first earnest boob joke in the series this episode, and while it's played for some quick fan service, it's surprisingly not bad. It helps that Jahy is kind of weirded out too, which like… mood sis, didn't get the point of actual titillation in the cold open, but hey: you do you,

The boob shot at the beginning of episode 7 was definitely one of those "keep in mind that nearly the entire creative team behind Jahy-sama on both the manga and anime side are women" kind of deals. And that boob shot was tame by Wakame Konbu standards, considering that she's also the creator of a yuri manga called Breasts are My Favorite Things In the World!
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What I ultimately can say is that the show most likely won't ever “lewd” Jahy's kid form. I appreciate that decision, and while that might not be the same as the source material, I feel like it's a smart choice here in the anime, and heightens the slice of life-ness of the backhalf of this episode.

It's the exact same as the manga as far as any "lewding" or "fanservice" goes. As an adult her clothing of choice shows a lot of skin and... that's basically where it starts and stops.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:04 am Reply with quote
I thought "Jahy and Public Speaking" is the funniest Druj chapter in the early part of the manga, especially how she invited Jahy over to give an impromptu speech only for Druj to barely let Jahy speak at all and instead Druj just talks over Jahy with some generic corporate inspirational babble, and I was worried that they weren't going to adapt it due to many chapters that came later on already having been animated.

It's a little weird that nobody in the audience noticed "Nana Doujima" (Druj) teleporting but there's a quite-probable in-universe explanation, spoiler[Druj may have been using her "heart control" (heart as in spirit) powers to influence their minds to ignore anything supernatural].

While the Sisters have already mentioned in passing that they are aware that Jahy can switch forms (rather than being selectively oblivious to Jahy's powers), I like that Landlady explicitly told Jahy not to transform when other people are looking. It's never really explained in the manga why Manager and Landlady are so non-chalant about Jahy's transformation ability but they're aware that other people might not be so open-minded about an adult woman suddenly becoming a child and vice-versa.

If you look carefully in the bathhouse scene, there's an Easter Egg which ties-in to the next episode.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I expected some commentary on Jahy's loneliness and sense of helplessness during the cold chapter. I found it pretty touching.

My first reaction to the show was during the OP
"That's Ogura Yui. I wonder if she's the mahou shoujo"
But she wasn't.
"I guess she isn't in the show. That's rare"
But of course she was the Very Nice Little Girl.
q_3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What we get of her in this episode is nice, but I think it's a bit misleading to name the episode “Saurva Can't Catch a Break…” when the bulk of the episode really is spent watching Jahy make a string of very poor purchase decisions.

I think it's fitting that Saurva can't even manage to get top billing in an episode titled after her! Laughing
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:18 pm Reply with quote
There were two other segments of episode 9 not mentioned including Jahy's ill-conceived home defense plan against the Magical Girl, leaving Jahy with no way to leave the apartment without triggering a trap herself, and chibi Jahy and Saurva (who don't recognize each other) bonding on the bench, with Jahy encouraging Saurva to "fight on" (not realizing that it's Jahy herself that Saurva wants to defeat).

I like the small detail that pale-skinned Saurva is drinking chocolate milk and vice-versa for Jahy.

I think that's the third "Jahi-in" skeleton so far in the series.

That's two devil girls voiced by Naomi Oozora who have had their "Melon Pan" bread stolen by animals (for Satanichia/Satania on Gabriel Dropout, the thief is a dog, and, for Jahy, it's crows).

I wonder if the next episode will adapt chapter spoiler[40, "Jahy-sama and the Final Battle"] considering the title makes it seems like it might (and it would be an obvious place to end the first slightly short cour) but, on the other hand, they'd be skipping over a fair number of chapters spoiler[including the beach restaurant arc not to mention Saurva's dog transformation, as seen in the opening]? On the other hand, the title may only be referring to chapter spoiler[28, "Jahy-sama and the Magical Girl's Desire"]
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:06 am Reply with quote
Naomi ŌZORA is just knockling it out of the stadium with her voice work on Jahy. I would have thought I'd been sick of hearing that voice, but hot meatloaf, I lose my mind laughing, (her little body upset voice...HAAA!...). I can't recall at this particular moment what series took me by surprise how much I'm enjoying it AND how the quality each episode is holding up, (Hinamatsuri , maybe?) but I'm loving it and look forward to it every week!
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:35 pm Reply with quote
The anime version of Kyouko Jingu had a relatively more gentle time on her way to school compared what she experienced in the manga version of this story in chapter 28. spoiler[In the manga version, she got hit by multiple cars, got struck by lightning, and, after arriving in school, instead of a signboard falling on her, she got hit by a giant concrete chunk of the floor above her complete with steel rebar sticking out of it.]

The moment where spoiler[the Magical Girl saved Kokoro from getting isekai'ed by a truck ] was original to the anime and a nice addition.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
The anime version of Kyouko Jingu had a relatively more gentle time on her way to school compared what she experienced in the manga version of this story in chapter 28. spoiler[In the manga version, she got hit by multiple cars, got struck by lightning, and, after arriving in school, instead of a signboard falling on her, she got hit by a giant concrete chunk of the floor above her complete with steel rebar sticking out of it.]

Hmm, I wonder why they changed it. spoiler[Too extreme maybe?] I'm guessing her "self satisfaction" was about the same though? Laughing
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:46 pm Reply with quote
It could just be that the scene in episode 6 with various dropped/fallen objects (including the UFO) piling up on Kyouko was absurd enough so they toned down the absurdity (and, therefore, the pain) compared to the manga for episode 10.

spoiler[I'd like to think that, if a high school was crumbling to the point that a large section of floor can just drop down on to the floor below, it would be closed for quite a few weeks while they investigate it and repair the damage rather than just have the school day go on as though this is something normal that happens because one particularly unlucky student is enrolled.]

And, yes, spoiler[Kyouko was quite a masochist in the manga. The self-satisfaction she gets from taking on everyone else's misfortune reminds me a bit of Kyle Broflovski in the South Park episode "Ginger Cow" where, at first, Kyle just took Cartman's abuse for the sake of religious peace but, after a while, Kyle started getting smug about it.]
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:13 pm Reply with quote
(I guess it's been several weeks so this shouldn't count as double-posting, right?)

I'm glad they finally got around to the long-awaited (since it was teased in the first opening animation) anime adaptation of Saurva accidentally turning herself into a dog. I feel bad for Ryou (Landlady) since she actually seemed to want to take in the "stray dog" but couldn't (possibly because Ryou lives with her sister above the Izakaya Maou tavern and there might be sanitary reasons why having a dog in a restaurant would be a bad idea?). One minor nitpick I have with the way this story was animated was that the manga telegraphed the obvious upcoming gag by having a teacup marked "tea" right next to the similarly-sized beaker containing the "Wan Wan/Woof Woof DX" potion. In the anime, you can briefly see the teacup in the pan shot before Saurva picks up the wrong liquid but it's easy to miss and I think the way the manga telegraphed the obvious upcoming joke was funnier.

Saurva is, in some ways, the most mysterious character since we really don't know much about what she does on Earth outside of scheming against Jahy and setting up pratfalls just to be hoisted by her own petards as though she's Wile E. Coyote. Saurva seems to be doing okay since she has what I presume is an apartment large enough to have her own laboratory dedicated to the development of anti-Jahy countermeasures but it's never explained (including in the part of the manga still to be animated) how she can afford to live there. My best guess is that, considering that Saurva's regular clothes are a stylized Taishou-era gakuran school uniform anyway, Saurva might have enrolled herself at a university and got lucky by being assigned a nice-sized dorm room without even having to share it with another student. Or perhaps Saurva works for a company that gives her easy access to chemicals, especially if it's in the pharmaceutical industry.

The anime added Jahy's attempt to run away from the police. Jahy using seemingly every piece of equipment in the playground to evade the cops reminded me very much of Eric Cartman's frantic spree doing everything fun there is to do at Casa Bonita before being arrested and taken to "Juvie" for a week.

In regards to the beach episode, SilverLink animated chapter 37 because Jahy finding all of the small Mana crystal shards in the ocean is a major plot point for her gaining more power, but they skipped over chapter 38, the other chapter in the beach restaurant arc, probably because there are only seven episodes left and they want to animate all of the remaining major events (probably all of the way up to chapter 67).

It's a bit of a shame, though, because chapter 38 had some wonderful insight into Jahy's feelings. spoiler[I won't go into specifics but Jahy was worried about the Manager/Owner seemingly "betraying" her, and Manager seemed to have a darker agenda for a few pages, even though it turned out to be just another misunderstanding].
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3