• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Digimon Tamers 20th Anniversary Stage Show Features 'Cancel Culture' Villain

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:02 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:

Is it "political"? I guess being against "PC culture" could be considered political in a way in America these days, but a lot of anime and manga creators are like that. They're very heavy into freedom of expression and against censorship. Like all the creators and industry folk who recently spoke out against the Kadokawa CEO saying manga should censor stuff for Apple and Google.

Considering Digimon is one of those franchises that got hit with huge censorship and changes in the American dub and it's still happening to this day (Cyber Sleuth 2 removed Sistermon Noir) I think it's pretty fitting. Digimon was never 'politically correct' by western standards so it's Konaka's known for writing about the dangers of the internet and its affect on culture, so talking about censorship and cancel culture seems only natural

Except that most of the loudest voices whining against "cancel culture" are really saying "I want the freedom to act like a massive **** without facing any societal ramifications for it." Speech without consequence has always been a complete myth. "Freedom of speech" only guarantees that a government cannot censor what you are trying to say. It does not guarantee you a private platform to say something, or that anyone has to take you seriously, or that you won't be ostracized if what you're saying is really shitty. That goes double for anti-vax bullshit that actively puts people's lives in danger.

KefkaesqueXIII wrote:
"I know writers who use subtext, and they're all cowards."

Ah, a person of culture I see. Very Happy

Last edited by Top Gun on Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:03 pm Reply with quote
KefkaesqueXIII wrote:
I mean, Jesus Christ, there's baking your viewpoints into your work and then there's literally naming your villain "Political Correctness" and giving it a super attack named "Cancel Culture".
He maybe a celebrated writer, but we can all agree that he isn't exactly subtle in his works.
#Bird_Black

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I'm not seeing anything in the article that indicates 'cancel culture'. Fake news has nothing to do with cancel culture. Now if the villain had been all about digging up something on social media and blowing it up and telling people to no longer have anything to do with the lifetime's body of work then that would be a cancel culture villain. I'm not sure if the article just failed to describe accurately or if the headline simply got it wrong.

https://twitter.com/TheBrando2/status/1422565888981708805
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:08 pm Reply with quote
It's certainly disappointing to hear, although actually not that surprising given the pseudo-scientific themes found in many of his works were always just a skip and a throw away from the kinds of fringe science, spirituality, etc. that traps people in conspiratorial circles. Add to this his obvious suspicion and paranoia over digital information, despite being extremely entrenched in online culture, & it's honestly a little odd that it's taken this long to come out in a public space.

Perhaps the reason for that & indeed the underlying root behind his frustrations, is that, certainly in terms of modern culture, he's largely no longer seen as important, or at the very least marketable to audiences. I mean what was the last major project he was heavily involved with? Ghost Hound back in 2007? If you've spent the better part of 15 years having your works passed over (just think of the unholy saga that is Despera), I can almost see the resentment over being told that his tastes and trends don't match up with the sensibilities of the current market manifesting into more toxic accusations and resentments that the fandom is too sensitive & retaliatory to accept his bleaker and often nihilistic leanings. If so, it's a shitty and misguided attitude to blame audiences over cynical business decisions, or perhaps just gracefully accepting that there isn't enough interest in his style of writing at this time.

At the very least, using an established & beloved & children's franchise like Digimon as a pulpit for your edgy views is an extremely tacky move on Konaka's part.

Last edited by fathomlessblue on Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:14 pm; edited 4 times in total
Amiantos

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Was pretty cringe to use Tamers as a vehicle to push cancel culture stuff I don't really disagree with him. Just a shitty boomer take to use a franchise people liked to push his political message.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Our War Game was basically a thin allegory to Y2K and how that the Internet was always going to go all SkyNet on everybody come 2000. Appmon's second half was basically about things like the Dark Web and Deep Web.

Digimon HAS always been political so this isn't surprising. Could it have been handled better? Absolutely! Is it wrong for a franchise who's very roots has always been based on the internet and its evolving presence in daily lives? I don't think so.

This isn't even that far out of Konaka's wheel house where he tries to talk about something using a show, movie or project and only simply fumbles really hard with there being that huge gape in miscomunication and translation of intent. Armitage III, Devil Lady and Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040, anybody? I don't think it was done completely with ill intent but oof.

Last edited by GNPixie on Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Not gonna lie, I find the idea hilarious in a so-bad-it's-good way.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm genuinely surprised people are shocked by this. We had people like Ken Akamatsu, Taro Yamada, Takeshi Nogami, and dozens other creators and Japanese politicians publicly denounce censorship and attempts by the UN, the BBC, Australian government, and tons of other foreign groups trying to police Japan's media and tell them what is and isn't acceptable to portray in fictional media. Do people really think many, if any at all, anime creators or mangaka would actually support political correctness and their work being altered or censored? Go Nagai's been saying this stuff since at least the 60s when he made Harenchi Gakuen specifically to give the middle finger to these kinds of people.

I mean, I guess naming your villain Political Correctness is probably a bit too on the nose, but then again so is naming your evil villains Devimon, Demon, Death Reaper, Minervamon, and other on-the-nose names we've gotten over the years so it's probably not exactly out of place either. It's a kids show. All I know is all this outrage is just proving them right, ironically.
Ming Yi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I'm not seeing anything in the article that indicates 'cancel culture'. Fake news has nothing to do with cancel culture. Now if the villain had been all about digging up something on social media and blowing it up and telling people to no longer have anything to do with the lifetime's body of work then that would be a cancel culture villain. I'm not sure if the article just failed to describe accurately or if the headline simply got it wrong.

The villain is literally called "Political Correctness" and one of their attacks is "Cancel Culture." This is spoken word-for-word in English.

AmpersandsUnited wrote:
I'm genuinely surprised people are shocked by this. We had people like Ken Akamatsu, Taro Yamada, Takeshi Nogami, and dozens other creators and Japanese politicians publicly denounce censorship and attempts by the UN, the BBC, Australian government, and tons of other foreign groups trying to police Japan's media and tell them what is and isn't acceptable to portray in fictional media. Do people really think many, if any at all, anime creators or mangaka would actually support political correctness and their work being altered or censored? Go Nagai's been saying this stuff since at least the 60s when he made Harenchi Gakuen specifically to give the middle finger to these kinds of people.

The problem isn't because Konaka is criticizing "cancel culture." The problem is that he is being very black-and-white about the situation and stating that "cancel culture" is being used to stifle freedom of speech when in all actuality he is upset that people making harmful conspiracy theories, as well as anti-vaxxers, are rightfully being deplatformed for spreading misinformation.

I have not seen anyone directly campaigning to call his employers to have him removed from his current projects, so no one is making an effort to get him "cancelled."

Quote:
On Wednesday, he tweeted in English: "I'm going to write my view for overseas fans in 9/8 or later."

He later corrected himself in a tweet stating that that he was going to make an announcement on August 8 instead of August 9.

Last edited by Ming Yi on Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:21 pm Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:
It's certainly disappointing to hear, although actually not that surprising given the pseudo-scientific themes found in many of his works were always just a skip and a throw away from the kinds of fringe science, spirituality, etc. that traps people in conspiratorial circles.

This actually reminded me that there was a scene in Shinreigari where a character randomly starts denying climate change. It's been about a year since I watched it so I can't remember the context, but at the time I just thought "Oh it was 2007 I guess those theories were more popular back then". I guess this isn't as much of a shock as I thought then.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:23 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
All I know is all this outrage is just proving them right, ironically.

I honestly haven't seen any "outrage" over this. I've seen people disappointed with Konaka, I've seen people finding it cringy, I've seen people wanting to give up on Digimon (after several Adventure-related disappoints, as it is). I have not seen anyone, anywhere mention to kick Konaka off Twitter, or any literal freak-outs over this. Disappointment over this =/= "outrage". I HAVE however, probably seen more "he's been proven right by outrage" comments, more than anyone actually trying to legitly "cancel" him.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:25 pm Reply with quote
ZephyrVayu wrote:
I don't care where he sits on the political spectrum, I hate it when people take shows from our childhoods and use them as a platform to preach their own personal political beliefs, basically weaponizing nostalgia against us. Whether it's the Powerpuff Girls being used to spread left-wing woke ideals, or Tamers being used to spread right-wing reactionary ideals, it's just really scummy. Shame on Konaka. He's defiling the Digimon franchise with this nonsense. The villain is "Political Correctness" taking a physical form? This sounds like an episode of South Park.

Well, the Powerpuff Girl reboot was pretty bad all around. The Digimon Tamers could be good (the way it sounds, I doubt it). It could be like the Dark Knight Returns, a good book but I disagree about everything about it. Whatever he writes, won't affect my enjoyment of Tamers or Digimon on hold. Unless he has the ability to magically replace my memories with this nonsense than I would have a problem
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:25 pm Reply with quote
There’s a significant difference between past seasons and movies of Digimon addressing real world political commentary versus Konaka using the Tamers characters as a mouth piece to promote dangerous debunked conspiracies particularly now in Japan when they’re still dealing with a pandemic state of emergency and I wish people would stop trying to draw false equivalencies because someone they liked said something awful and people have to justify it somehow. It’s fine to still like Tamers without trying to justify Konaka and I tire of having to have this conversation every time.
Meowtain Duwu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I’m severely disappointed in Konaka right now. I really enjoyed his writing from Serial Experiments Lain, but like another user noted earlier, he has definitely ironically become one of the people from the series that he was criticizing.

This is one of the most disappointing things I’ve heard about this entire year so far. I feel so bad for all the Digimon fans out there who are currently reevaluating how much they like the franchise (Tamers in particular).
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
I honestly haven't seen any "outrage" over this. I've seen people disappointed with Konaka, I've seen people finding it cringy, I've seen people wanting to give up on Digimon (after several Adventure-related disappoints, as it is). I have not seen anyone, anywhere mention to kick Konaka off Twitter, or any literal freak-outs over this. Disappointment over this =/= "outrage". I HAVE however, probably seen more "he's been proven right by outrage" comments, more than anyone actually trying to legitly "cancel" him.

There have been people calling for Konaka to never work on another Digimon product again, but it's certainly not enough of a presence to warrant the "proven right" response.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11