• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Entertainment District Arc Anime Premieres This Fall in Half-Ye

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Changeman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I didn't hear about the second change, but ANN reported on the first change.

Yes, but not about the second one, which is the definitive one. It was a hot topic in the Japanese media and says a lot about Fujimoto as an author: https://togetter.com/li/1768892
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Posts removed. Stick to the topic please.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ninten

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:22 pm Reply with quote
#Immie93 wrote:
perroloco wrote:
Mmmm.. i am curious, seeing that demon slayer is a shonen that ran in WSj.. what exactly where they planning on censoring? Or what was the supposed outcry for? (Without much spoilers please)

Think it's to do with the arc being set in the red light district.
As others have said I don't see why anything needs censoring as it's not a show children should be watching. Perhaps it was felt it was aimed at that demographic but anyone in their right mind would know from the first episode of season 1 it's not for a young audience.
I was in Japan last year and remember seeing a very young girl talking to her mother about how she loved Nezuko, and when I went to watch the movie there were a lot of families and young children in the public. I would like to say that it's a cultural thing but then the same japanese people ask for censorship so honestly it's all a bit confusing to me
BonusStage

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I didn't think anything would be censored, outside the usual manga to anime changes of some things being toned down, but it's nice to have confirmation. I was a bit worried on the English release though, since "Entertainment District" is a bit of a whitewash translation of Yukaku but I guess it's just for marketing reasons and getting the series on shelves.
09jcg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:11 pm Reply with quote
There does seem to be a little bit of funny business with Demon Slayer here in the west, now that everyone realizes its gotten so popular. Not so much with censorship but how its rated. When the anime was first put up for streaming the show was TV-MA and the movie was released as Rated R. Now that it's entered the main stream the show has magically been re-rated as TV-14 as has the movie.

https://www.funimation.com/shows/demon-slayer-kimetsu-no-yaiba/

If you google "demon slayer TV-MA" you can even see old cached descriptions of the show with TV-MA but once you click the links, the show then says TV-14.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:53 am Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:
There does seem to be a little bit of funny business with Demon Slayer here in the west, now that everyone realizes its gotten so popular. Not so much with censorship but how its rated. When the anime was first put up for streaming the show was TV-MA and the movie was released as Rated R. Now that it's entered the main stream the show has magically been re-rated as TV-14 as has the movie.

https://www.funimation.com/shows/demon-slayer-kimetsu-no-yaiba/

If you google "demon slayer TV-MA" you can even see old cached descriptions of the show with TV-MA but once you click the links, the show then says TV-14.

Nice to have someone else record that, because I thought I was going nuts when I saw it as TV-14 on Netflix a few weeks later.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2