• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Stream Chainsaw Man Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustMonika

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
So, honest question.

Has there ever been a non-sequel anime that was more anticipated than this one?

Just to name a few for this year

Aharen-san wa Hakarenai
In the Heart of Kunoichi Tsubaki
My Dress-Up Darling
Akebi's Sailor Uniform
Summer Time Render
Spy X Family
Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie
Love After World Domination
A Couple of Cuckoos
When Will Ayumu Make His Move?
My Step-sister is My Ex-girlfriend
Engage Kiss
Call of the Night
Shine Post
Extreme Hearts
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 3:55 pm Reply with quote
We sure are getting a lot of news for this series without actually seeing anything new or even getting a set date, huh? I'm more excited about this than almost anything, but still, they've been pretty vague.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 4:54 pm Reply with quote
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
Shay Guy wrote:
So, honest question.

Spy x Family comes to mind. My Hero Academia was pretty hyped as well.

Even those I don't know about, at least in America. MHA had been making waves among American manga readers already (including me), but the anime and manga industries here are both bigger than they were in early 2017. I don't think MHA was doing this kind of performance here before the anime came out. A quick Google Trends comparison also seems to suggest CSM has already passed MHA's pre-anime popularity in the US.

Even Spy x Family wasn't on this level, I don't think. The Google Trends chart bears that out, as do this year's Bookscan numbers:

January: 7 volumes CSM, 1 volume SXF
February: 7 volumes CSM, 1 volume SXF
March: 5 volumes CSM, 1 volume SXF

It wasn't until April, after SXF's anime started, that it flipped.

For one more comparison, let's look at how many members were listed on each anime's MAL page shortly before the anime started, compared to Chainsaw Man now:

My Hero Academia: 30,670 members
Spy x Family: 192,455 members
Chainsaw Man: 399,315 members

This is a hell of a lot of hype we're talking about.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I can imagine how hotly contested the licensing for this might've been, but I can't argue it's not for the best that this isn't getting locked in Netflix/Disney+ jail.

Considering they're already announcing the English dub ahead of time, I wonder if the plan is for them to get the material early to be able to do a same-day simuldub.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 6:23 pm Reply with quote
A highly anticipated anime not licensed by Netflix, Disney+ or Apple is always good news.
Dynamo-

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Don’t really understand the hype around this, seems like a strange concept I’d probably not like if it takes itself to seriously.

Also don’t really understand why every other platform is called jail, is it just a problem with getting your own copy?
RockSplash

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Dynamo- wrote:
Don’t really understand the hype around this, seems like a strange concept I’d probably not like if it takes itself to seriously.

Also don’t really understand why every other platform is called jail, is it just a problem with getting your own copy?

Historically, anime that is popular in the west is action oriented, and Gory as well. AOT, Demon Slayer, cowboy bebop, etc. Chainsaw man is a hit due to its social themes(heavily inspired by devilman) and its great characters and action. Also, this is purely speculation, but chainsaw man blew up in the last 2 years. The story's pessimism may felt relatable to many who really did not see the positives In.humanity to a degree.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Dynamo- wrote:

The only "jail" people complain about is Netflix, as it's a mixture of a very future for home video (and as some recent Sentai acquisitions show, you're not even guaranteed the same English dub sometimes) & the fact that the service is extremely stingy on releasing newly airing anime on a weekly basis, instead doing chunks that have large gaps in between, which in turn kill any of the usual weekly conversation they'd otherwise get.
ssjtennis1

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:
A highly anticipated anime not licensed by Netflix, Disney+ or Apple is always good news.

Okay Disney+ I knew had entered the game with their confusing anime streaming strategy, but Apple+ is doing something now?
GNPixie

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:

I dunno about that, given the things that have come out from Crunchyroll lately, especially regarding how cheap they've been regarding their translators and voice actors. Nothing's been said about how well Netflix pays for their dubs of foreign media but I doubt it'd be as bad as Crunchyroll.
Dynamo-

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Dynamo- wrote:

The only "jail" people complain about is Netflix, as it's a mixture of a very future for home video (and as some recent Sentai acquisitions show, you're not even guaranteed the same English dub sometimes) & the fact that the service is extremely stingy on releasing newly airing anime on a weekly basis, instead doing chunks that have large gaps in between, which in turn kill any of the usual weekly conversation they'd otherwise get.

Well in this topic people have already called other platforms jail besides Netflix so I was curious. I actually like certain shows released in chunks especially miniseries etc but I notice they are doing more episode releases like Komi can’t communicate as a current example. In terms of acquisition that kind of answers my question but is just the physical media market? I have no idea how they do release or who they use.
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Dynamo- wrote:

The manga exists and is "complete", so people know what they are getting. A new manga sequel has also been announced since then.

It is an action/horror/comedy. Similar to something like Hellsing. Or Dorohedoro. So there is plenty to levity if that floats your boat.
Lord Seth

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 1:08 am Reply with quote
JustMonika wrote:
Shay Guy wrote:
So, honest question.

Just to name a few for this year

Aharen-san wa Hakarenai
In the Heart of Kunoichi Tsubaki
My Dress-Up Darling
Akebi's Sailor Uniform
Summer Time Render
Spy X Family
Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie
Love After World Domination
A Couple of Cuckoos
When Will Ayumu Make His Move?
My Step-sister is My Ex-girlfriend
Engage Kiss
Call of the Night
Shine Post
Extreme Hearts
While some of those had some anticipation, the question was what other series was more anticipated than Chainsaw Man. The only one on that list that could plausibly be considered to be even close to the amount of anticipation that Chainsaw Man is getting, let alone being more anticipated, would be Spy x Family.

For some objective data, the number of "members" for series on My Anime List can help gauge popularity. Obviously this isn't so useful for comparing current series to much older ones, but right here we're talking about just the recent past so it's fine. Chainsaw Man (without having aired) has 400k. The only non-sequel series from this year that have more than that are My Dress-Up Darling (653k) and Spy x Family (656k), both of which of course aired which gave them a big boost in popularity. No other non-sequel series from this year, even after airing, is close to that number for Chainsaw Man. In case anyone is wondering, looking up older versions of the pages, My Dress-Up Darling had less than 100k before airing while Spy x Family had a little more than 200k, so both were still less than Chainsaw Man.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 1:29 am Reply with quote
Has there every been an official CR anime simulcast that was worldwide minus Japan and China?
Sarcataclysmal

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 1:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The company shared screenshots from the anime.

?
These are screenshots from the PV, it's not anything new.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3