• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Releases Makoto Shinkai's Suzume no Tojimari Film Outside Asia in Early 2023

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 3:24 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty much over the Oscars and all award shows at this point. I'm more disappointed this likely means Shinkai's next movie won't get an LA dub. I've enjoyed GKids dubs and Weathering With You was a really solid dub.
AZLeafCat

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
My main concern is Oscar nominations. I know they don’t really matter too much, but now that Hosoda has one (in addition to most of the Ghibli folk), you gotta have the next biggest name in there. Weathering With You actually got close too thanks to GKIDS, and I’m
hoping for a more successful repeat (not counting the time Funimation butchered the Your Name campaign).

Funimation wasn't owned by Sony at the time of Your Name's Oscar qualifying run in late 2016. Hopefully, now that Crunchyroll, LLC has offices located at/near Sony Pictures Entertainment's Culver City headquarters and jobs dedicated to theatrical distribution located there, hopefully they do campaign for any anime films worthy of award consideration.

Although I know that its unlikely that any anime film will actually win a Oscar, earning a nomination does allow for others not typically into anime to recognize its potential.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 2:41 am Reply with quote
Gurren Rodan wrote:
Gemnist wrote:

My main concern is Oscar nominations.

Okay, totally honest question here: how much do we actually care about the Oscars? If an anime film were to win "Best Animated Picture" or some other award, how much impact would that really have on the industry and medium anymore? Does the Oscar win have any real pull on the regular market these days?

It should open business opportunities for them - like having "Dr." or "Sir" in front of one's name
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2