• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Lycoris Recoil Anime Changes Episode 11 Eyecatch Illustrations to Discourage Fans from Imi

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaoru G

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Fugaz-Star wrote:
Todays generation has turned into a bunch of pampered little babies that need to be reminded every second of their lives what's ok and what's bad. It'd say is sad, but to me it's more like anger within (bc I'm an artist) This and cancel culture are hurting art and comedy in ways that it will take decades before things go back to normal.

Correct
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Putting aside weather changing the art was a good idea or not, it's a really weird take to change one segment because it promotes something dangerous but leave in the exact same thing in the OP to preserve artistic intent. That really seems like it should be an all or nothing scenario if you're going to do it at all.

spoiler[It's also 11 episodes in, so it seems super late to consider anyway.]
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:31 pm Reply with quote
While I'm not sure it was necessary to outright replace the original eyecatches, I can certainly see why they were wary of it.

People trying say "well why aren't you worried about viewers recreating all the violence???" seem to be forgetting (or pretending to forget) how hard it is to get guns or live ammo in Japan. If somebody wanted to copy anything like that, they'd have to actually break the law to get anything besides a prop gun or paintballs.

Meanwhile red spider lilies are pretty easy to come by, so it's a lot more possible for some cosplayers, not knowing the flower's poisonous, to stick the thing in their mouth or try lighting it up for a photo. That's why the powers that be would have concerns.
lazerem

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Fugaz-Star wrote:
Todays generation has turned into a bunch of pampered little babies that need to be reminded every second of their lives what's ok and what's bad. It'd say is sad, but to me it's more like anger within (bc I'm an artist) This and cancel culture are hurting art and comedy in ways that it will take decades before things go back to normal.

This isn't a new "today's generation" problem, the phrase "kids, don't try this at home" has existed for ages for a reason, people have always attempted to do stuff they see on TV/in movies/etc.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Kaoru G wrote:
Fugaz-Star wrote:

Correct

No one is stopping you from eating all the paint chips or drinking all the antifreeze you like. Feel free to keep being angry about basic safety information tho.
JustMonika

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:47 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
Just add a warning disclaimer text to the bottom.

Thus preserving the art. Informing people about something they didn't know. AND adding more thematic depth to your show's visuals and title. Everybody wins!

"But, nooooooooo...!", the PR department went...

BioShock reference? Very Happy
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I don't remember the original eye-catch for episode 11, but the new one is great.

The eye-catches in this show have been uniformly wonderful --- I hope an art-book comes out that includes a collection of them.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:02 pm Reply with quote
At first I was annoyed, but then I had to remind myself that I actually am a member of a species capable of committing idiotic stunts in the name of imitating their favorite characters. Ugh.
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Kinda torn over the change, 'cause on the one hand, keeping the original imagery makes a lot of sense thematically for the series (at least in my opinion).

On the other hand... I totally get why they changed it, because it's not the most obvious thematic element, and better to be safe than sorry or some such.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:07 am Reply with quote
After the Tide Pod challenge I can see this being a concern. Lol
Aerdra

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:05 am Reply with quote
Fugaz-Star wrote:

Well, we humans are very stupid actually. We have warnings on coffee cups to remind us that hot coffee may, indeed, be hot.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:25 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
At first I was annoyed, but then I had to remind myself that I actually am a member of a species capable of committing idiotic stunts in the name of imitating their favorite characters. Ugh.

Oh?

People doing dumb things for clout on social media is dead?
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:36 am Reply with quote
Aerdra wrote:
Well, we humans are very stupid actually. We have warnings on coffee cups to remind us that hot coffee may, indeed, be hot.

Technically we have warnings on coffee cups so that fast food companies can attempt to waive liability after McDonald's was correctly sued for their employees heating their coffee well above safety regulations and scalding an elderly woman's legs and genitals to the point that she required surgery.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Parents in the 1950's wanted the Three Stooges serials (made in the 30's and 40's) off of television because they thought kids would imitate them.

This isn't something new, folks.

flamemasterelan wrote:
Aerdra wrote:

Technically we have warnings on coffee cups so that fast food companies can attempt to waive liability after McDonald's was correctly sued for their employees heating their coffee well above safety regulations and scalding an elderly woman's legs and genitals to the point that she required surgery.

Please read up on the case. It's more nuanced than you think.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wing-zero-strike

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:32 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:

No one is stopping you from eating all the paint chips or drinking all the antifreeze you like. Feel free to keep being angry about basic safety information tho.

The quoted poster doesn't seem angry about safety information being provided. In fact, it's not clear that any basic safety information is being provided directly as part of this change. Instead, the poster quoted seems concerned about censoring art in lieu of providing basic safety information.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3