• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tenchi Muyo! GXP Project Gets New Paradise Shidō-hen Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:12 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Did...did anyone ask for this? Ever? I still haven't recovered the brain cells I lost watching that trainwreck.

Whoever did clearly has a grudge against you. Rolling Eyes

That said, rugged Seina kind of disturbs me. I like that he still has his trademark bandage, though.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:14 am Reply with quote
Last I remember Tenchi was part of that mountain of sold out AIC franchises Toei acquired (and sounded like the contents of a local video store). Is someone still investing in this franchise? Last I heard the 5th OVA came and went with it being incomprehensible, and the lore at this point makes Kingdom Hearts look simple.

If the light novels still sell well, well enough that anime adaptations make sense, then here’s my question. Why not just reboot the whole thing from scratch? That’s becoming increasingly popular, and Toei has the international partnerships to make it work. “Tenchi Muyo reboot on Netflix, no censorship, using the light novels as a base instead of jumping back and forth to different versions of the franchise.” As it stands this is a contextless thing from a franchise that has some goodwill (honestly I could write an entire paper on it) but seems unable to capitalize on it.
merr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:29 am Reply with quote
Are the Tenchi light novels like the later OVAs? By that I mean do they totally abandon the original cast in favor of Tenchi’s confusing extended family?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:33 am Reply with quote
I like GXP and Seina Yamada is one my favorite protagonists. I'll welcome a sequel... but this loos and sounds like a reboot so it could get messy.

I'll be honest, If I had to choose with Akane or without Akane, I'll go "with".
Retrosofa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:03 am Reply with quote
I haven't enjoyed a single Tenchi property since the 90's.

I found the later OVAs and the first GXP series to be atrocious. I know it's his baby but Masaki Kajishima really made the Tenchi franchise a big ol' mess.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:38 am Reply with quote
As someone who has made the effort to keep up with the franchise, have read the fan translated novels, and knows most of what's going on in the most recent OVA. I am quite happy with this.

Yes, it's a continuation of the GXP story of the light novels, not the anime. There will be no NB.
It's a story to fill in some gaps.
You see, even novel readers are in the dark about what happened between Novel 17 (the article gets the number of the last novel wrong) and OVA5/Paradise War. Like, no one knows how Jovia actually joined the group (but there are hints- she seems to be genuinely married to Seina, for one)

As teased in Kajishima's most recent doujin afterword- the story will evidently focus largely on Tsukiko, Kiriko's mother. This makes sense as the deeper lore strongly suggests Kiriko's father was killed (or went missing) while investigating something in Renza space.

And though it's never mentioned, Tsukiko does not appear in OVA5, despite living on Earth in OVA4 and her grandson being born in the last episode. Also, two of the three other "younger" Masaki girls that appear in OVA4 are not in OVA5, suggesting Mizune and Fuka will be featured too.

I mean, you have to realize that the production of Japanese properties do not necessarily revolve around the opinions and limited knowledge of what the U.S. anime audience has been given.

17 GXP novels + 3 Paradise War novels is nothing to scoff at. Just because we have not officially gotten any of it doesn't mean that there isn't an audience that wants anime that supports and expands on it.

Retrosofa wrote:
I haven't enjoyed a single Tenchi property since the 90's.

I found the later OVAs and the first GXP series to be atrocious. I know it's his baby but Masaki Kajishima really made the Tenchi franchise a big ol' mess.

No, the western market is at least as responsible for your confusion.
Kajishima's writing has its problems, but the franchises biggest problems has to due with an audience that cannot accept that there's stuff that they've missed and connect what they know from unconnected spin-offs into Kajishima's story.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:35 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind seeing a remake. By that I mean throw away this whole OVA continuity and start over from scratch. Don't rush things or skim details. Pretend this is the first time Tenchi is ever being made into an anime and make it understandable to a new audience.

Of course, I don't think they'll do that, but it would be nice and might give Crunchyroll some incentive to dub the parts of the franchise that haven't been dubbed, or redub the whole series with a new cast (not that I don't love the 90s dub, but if you're remaking the series and adding a new cast, it might be good to have consistency, with future releases carrying both dubs for the sake of oldtaku dollars). I'd love to see a good dub for Pretty Sammy TV or a GXP dub where the returning Tenchi cast doesn't have laryngitis.

Again, it's extremely unlikely that we'll start getting more Tenchi installments on a regular basis (and even more unlikely that they'll be any good), but I can dream. The 90s installments are, in my opinion, amongst the most timeless and watchable 90s anime, even if you don't like harems.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:57 am Reply with quote
Tenchi, the franchise where the western fanbase cares about 25% of the Anime. I assume it does well in Japan.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:04 am Reply with quote
Meh, I've long ditched the Tenchi train with recent installments of the franchise acting as if you've read light novels, doujin, or other supplementary materials to follow what's going on with the recent two OVA series when much of that's never been released outside Japan. If those materials were adapted into anime form earlier on for the sake of accessibility for audiences outside Japan or who don't dabble into the extra non-anime material, I probably wouldn't mind how the OVAs turned out. But kind of feel alienated watching recent installments since my only reading of non-anime sources for the OVA continuity are the True Tenchi Muyo novels that were released by Seven Seas from a few years ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KaidoYuji8Shinji

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:18 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I wouldn't mind seeing a remake. By that I mean throw away this whole OVA continuity and start over from scratch. Don't rush things or skim details. Pretend this is the first time Tenchi is ever being made into an anime and make it understandable to a new audience.

Of course, I don't think they'll do that, but it would be nice and might give Crunchyroll some incentive to dub the parts of the franchise that haven't been dubbed, or redub the whole series with a new cast (not that I don't love the 90s dub, but if you're remaking the series and adding a new cast, it might be good to have consistency, with future releases carrying both dubs for the sake of oldtaku dollars). I'd love to see a good dub for Pretty Sammy TV or a GXP dub where the returning Tenchi cast doesn't have laryngitis.

Again, it's extremely unlikely that we'll start getting more Tenchi installments on a regular basis (and even more unlikely that they'll be any good), but I can dream. The 90s installments are, in my opinion, amongst the most timeless and watchable 90s anime, even if you don't like harems.

Honestly I agree with you 100%. I would love to see a more accessible and redone show. Kinda like Tenchi universe.
Casval Rem Deikun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:46 am Reply with quote
It's always great to see more Tenchi! I'm very excited for this. With this GXP I think it's going to slowly tie in more of the light novels so the 4th and 5th series will make more sense for fans who don't follow the novels. Really looking forward to this!
Cyan Bloodbane

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
As someone who has made the effort to keep up with the franchise, have read the fan translated novels, and knows most of what's going on in the most recent OVA. I am quite happy with this.

Heya, maybe you can help me out a bit. I'd like to fill in my Tenchi lore knowledge. What would you determine would be essential LN reading? Assume that I've watched every and all animated Tenchi and animated Tenchi spinoff content, and just needs to fill the LN gap.

Personally, it's been very strange to watch the Tenchi series bounce around so much in timeline and in content. Geminar is farthest in the timeline but it was made a decade ago, while OVA's that fill in the gap "before" Geminar are still being made now to catch up to it, then we get odd things like "Ai Tenchi Muyo" which I assume was just Kajeshima trying to raise money. Besides all that, I'm not sure where else the franchise can go. GXP seems to be the best avenue or a sequel to Geminar. Like others have said, I am almost wishing for a full and complete reboot of the franchise. With Toei now in partial control, I feel like this might be a possibility (if Kajeshima signs off on it).

It's hard for me to Defend OVA 4 and 5 because I found them incredibly dull. However, I realized the last two OVA's are very similar to the 1984 Japanese Film "The Funeral" by Juzo Itami.[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Funeral_(1984_film)[/url]. It's sort of a somber comedy about the process a family goes through while prepping a traditional funeral for a family member. Most of it is people sitting around, talking/discussing and family planning. VERY familiar to the OVA4 and OVA5 which had to do with weddings, and family planning + mostly just sitting around discussing family direction. If you've seen "The Funeral", OVA 4 and 5 make a LOT more sense in terms of what Kajeshima was going for. That doesn't mean that I care for it much as I prefer when the series was a comedic space fantasy/harem, but it looks like Kajeshima is doubling down on harem + family tree fanfic.

I dare say he is reaching his Prequel Era George Lucas age, or if we're keeping this in the realm of anime, he's going Tomino post "King Gainer" in terms of his storytelling ability sort of falling off the wagon.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I know people always joke that Dragon Ball or Naruto are always getting milked, but this franchise easily beats both of those in pure "why?"
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:25 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
I'm one of the few who liked GXP and even I know this won't be as good.
Yea, a fellow GXP fan~

https://imgur.com/a56mY74

Seems there's a lot of us GXP fans here :)

Side note, either am doing it wrong or, the img bbc tags aren't working... least the link to the pics works...
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:14 pm Reply with quote
War on Geminar season 2 instead please.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4