• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Misfit of Demon King Academy II

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:08 pm Reply with quote
ryonomiko wrote:
Glad this is being reviewed because I don't think I'd have understood as much otherwise... glad I wasn't the only one feeling lost/confused over ALL of what was in Ep1.

I'm still a bit lost after Ep2 and 3 though, but much better off than before.

Thank-you, Richard.

Eight episodes in and I'm still in total agreement with every word in this post. Of course the long break didn't help matters for my goldfish brain either. That doesn't mean I'm not enjoying it, just that I have no idea what's going on. The names alone are enough to break me. I'm going to have to start over with Season 1 I think. Oh noes. Wink

Speaking of names, while reading the review, I was thinking what a field day the Harvard Lampoon could've had with these, given what they did with Bored of the Rings. Laughing

Also, lol at the caption for the thumbnail!
Kamijou Touma

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I was in tears after Saturdays episode 9. I read the novel in advance but it still hits hard. But all that Asumi Kana is not bad.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:05 pm Reply with quote
It's kind of amazing that a tragic love story between two side-characters has been the most compelling and well-executed aspect of this entire season. I really became invested in Shin and Leno's relationship and I thought they did a great job developing it. Better than some other anime romances.

(Also, Misha panties...)
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:18 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
It's kind of amazing that a tragic love story between two side-characters has been the most compelling and well-executed aspect of this entire season. I really became invested in Shin and Leno's relationship and I thought they did a great job developing it. Better than some other anime romances.

(Also, Misha panties...)

it also shows how much of an ass hole that god of order truly is.

he clearly said all of that bullshit to get under her skin which sadly worked in the end!

i for one do hope anos gives that bastard the jerga treatment & erase his entire existence from creation itself
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:41 am Reply with quote
Intellectually I kind of get what's going on where Anos' effect in the past seeded sleeper agents who could act up and turn the tide, but it feels a little too...clinical, and like Avos is already losing weight as an antagonist.

But the scene between Anos and Shin was great, showing how Anos has developed as a character since his reincarnation, his bond with Shin, and how Shin has become a father that deserves to fulfill that duty to Misa.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:21 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Intellectually I kind of get what's going on where Anos' effect in the past seeded sleeper agents who could act up and turn the tide, but it feels a little too...clinical, and like Avos is already losing weight as an antagonist.

But the scene between Anos and Shin was great, showing how Anos has developed as a character since his reincarnation, his bond with Shin, and how Shin has become a father that deserves to fulfill that duty to Misa.

thought from the looks of the subtitles, it feels like anos is trying to turn him back into a love less sword to free him from his guilt.

Richard Eisenbeis wrote:

Suffice it to say a lot is going on and frankly, this is one of the weaker episodes in the series because of this. There is almost zero hand-holding here—nothing is explained in any detail and you just have to figure it out on your own or be left in the dust.

this shoould not be a surprise! ALL MANGA/LIGHT NOVEL ADAPTATIONS does this on purpose (and without fail) for two main reasons!

1) to get anime only viewers to read the source materials to know more.

and 2) f they had included the parts of this chapter that were cut out, it would probably go beyond past their 12/13 ep limit for this series which is a no no for these studios!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:38 am Reply with quote
All the romantic reunions in this episode and Nousghalia finally getting a proper beatdown was very satisfying.

I'm going to miss Avos if this is really the end for her, but she doesn't seem like she's completely done.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What exactly was Anos doing during the fight between Nous Galia and Shin?

Right? He's just... hanging there, with magic? It was a very odd visual, I hope he was just setting up something for later, it was so strange.

Quote:
I hope the final episode has some more Sasha and Misha—Sasha especially really got put on the back burner this season.

I was really hoping they'd crack out Dino Jixes one more time, but they were never involved in any battles big enough to bring out Aisha.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I can't say I enjoyed this season as much as season 1, since it was so filled to the brim with jargon and lore that it was hard to follow at times unless you read certain Reddit posts that explained everything, yet I can't say I didn't end having fun and enjoying myself. Especially watching Anos pull an Anos on both Avos and NousGalia.

And it was really nice to see Misa, Shin, and Leno reunited as a family. And Misa having to deal with having parents while having a boyfriend.

Sasha and Misha showing up at the end to remind you they're ostensibly the Main Heroines even though they've barely done anything this season (especially Sasha). I hope that improves next cour.

Overall I also feel like Yuichiro Umehara did his best but he just didn't quite capture Anos the way Tatsuhisa Suzuki did.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:21 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I can't say I enjoyed this season as much as season 1, since it was so filled to the brim with jargon and lore that it was hard to follow at times unless you read certain Reddit posts that explained everything, yet I can't say I didn't end having fun and enjoying myself. Especially watching Anos pull an Anos on both Avos and NousGalia.

And it was really nice to see Misa, Shin, and Leno reunited as a family. And Misa having to deal with having parents while having a boyfriend.

Sasha and Misha showing up at the end to remind you they're ostensibly the Main Heroines even though they've barely done anything this season (especially Sasha). I hope that improves next cour.

Overall I also feel like Yuichiro Umehara did his best but he just didn't quite capture Anos the way Tatsuhisa Suzuki did.

now all that is left is for anos to take both of them as his brides! though i highly doubt that. especially if the reviewer's theories about misha and sasha being the reincarnations of the goddess of creation and destruction end up being correct!

i wouldnt know for i haven't reached that far in the light novels!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2