• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: McDonald's Turns Its Fictional Anime Counterpart WcDonald's Into Reality

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yeehaw

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Boo, way to ruin the fun by making it corporate, mcdonalds! Maybe if it was an april's fool thing it could have been a lttle funny, but I'm sick and tired of corporations trying to be funny and personal. Just like the kfc dating sim and biden's birthday cake.
Corporations are only funny when they're the butt of the joke!

Also someone already asked this but does this mean they trademarked WcDonalds?
juaifan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:47 pm Reply with quote
yeehaw wrote:
Boo, way to ruin the fun by making it corporate, mcdonalds! Maybe if it was an april's fool thing it could have been a lttle funny, but I'm sick and tired of corporations trying to be funny and personal. Just like the kfc dating sim and biden's birthday cake.
Corporations are only funny when they're the butt of the joke!

I don't think legally distinct McDonalds popping up in a bunch of anime was ever meant to make McDonalds the butt of any joke. And official corporate-sanction McDonalds things in the past were beloved and revered like those cute art pieces McDonalds Japan put out last year as well as the old days of the internet with crazy Japanese Ronald McDonald commercial memes. McDonalds and Japan coming together seems perfectly natural to me

A better example of official sources ruining memes would be like Big Chungus, Ultra Instinct Shaggy, and Leeroy Jenkins since they have to sanitize the heck out of them to make them officially "canon".
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:14 pm Reply with quote
First saw WcDonald’s in Uta∽Kata, but I’ve also recorded it in:

Accel World
Anthem of the Heart
Anohana
Asterisk War
Onimai (manga at any rate)
Hensuki (manga)

Also have a few others where I’ve neglected to note the series. Images are all in here, somewhere: https://goo.gl/photos/HBHMxJbAcUufEuo6A
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Varkias

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of surprised that they don't seem t be selling any actual merchandise, even on their website. They might not think there are enough anime fans to sell souvenir cups in store, but I think they'd do well enough to sell online.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Israeli McDonalds gives away free food to Israeli soldiers, just like any other company would do to their own nation's military who are at war. I am not even going to unpack anything about the war, as no one wants to argue about it here on an anime forum.

As to the boycott, never heard anything about it, till your mention. Reading back, seems like McDonalds isn't the only American company (CocaCola, for one..), that some people are not happy with. But that is just par for the course, when things happen in the Middle East.

WcMondalds is a major anime tie-in, so it is only natural for ANN to cover it. Not covering it would just be political grandstanding.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2