• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: VIZ Media Acquires Blue Dragon Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Son-kun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:05 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
If they're gonna get more Toriyama, I'd rather they pick up more of his one-shots like Go Go Ackman.

Yeah, they really need to release his One Shot Collections & the Neko Majin Kanzenban.

GATSU wrote:
Anyway, I'd figure they'd have learned from Dr. Slump that not everything from the guy's gonna be big here.

Yeah, but at least it's doing well with those that are fans of his works & not only Dragon Ball.

GATSU wrote:
Plus I don't see the point in getting the rights to an anime based on a game for a system from a company which continues to rank third in the console wars.

It's definitely an odd move for Viz considering the anime came out just recently. As mentioned before, they should've definitely licensed Buso Renkin first.

GATSU wrote:
Is Viz hoping that the same user base which only makes games like Halo and Gears of War a hit is suddenly going to buy into something kiddie? I don't get it.

That's the thing though, as someone mentioned, I think it's really more for the RPG & anime fans. Considering Sakaguchi & Toriyama are such big names in the industry, I could imagine it's towards those group of audiences that are fans of their works. Also just because something looks kiddie, if can mean far from being that. I think Blue Dragon in particular is a mesh between lightheartedness & an epic as one would expect from Sakaguchi.

GATSU wrote:
Plus it's an effort on Sakaguchi's part to make up for Spirits Within.

No. It was FFX, btw. Blue Dragon was something Sakaguchi wanted to do for himself after leaving Square-Enix as said in his Game Informer Interview. It just so happened he was a Toriyama fan.
Drowning_Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:23 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Yeah, but it's an rpg for the X-box, and people are hoping it won't suck like Fable, since there are already so few games of that genre for the system. Rolling Eyes Plus it's an effort on Sakaguchi's part to make up for Spirits Within.

I know this wasn't addressed to me but, the Xbox does have a few Rpg (and Fable doesn't suck, it was just over-hyped for what it was) and even a few nice one, in numbers there is approximately the same amount of GameCube's and Xbox's Rpg released in North America. For the next-gen, well the Xbox 360 is right now the system with the more Rpg, that won't last for sure, but for the moment it's a fact.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:44 pm Reply with quote
i can't believe how fast this got licensed. i wonder if they're gonna give it the Itunes treatment, like they did with Death Note. anyone know how that's selling btw?

Last edited by v1cious on Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:26 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
i can't believe how fast this got licensed. i wonder if they're gonna give it the Itunes, like they did with Death Note. anyone know how that's selling btw?

Yeah I'm a big surprise also by the speed of this announcement, it's not as surprising to hear that VIZ has the rights. Personally I wonder if were going to have two different releases of this series....I'd imagine this show would make it on CN/AS so perhaps uncut boxes like Naruto?

@Gatsu
360 is the overall leader in total sales for system of this next generation. But in Japan 360 is dead last....it's nearly being outsold by PS2 each month. And the Blue Dragon basically sold most of the systems in Japan.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Delta:
Quote:
it's not as surprising to hear that VIZ has the rights.

I actually imagined FUNimation getting it, but I guess everyone is hoping for the next Dragonball nowadays...

Quote:

@Gatsu 360 is the overall leader in total sales for system of this next generation.

Total sales, including games, or total sales of systems?
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Total sales, including games, or total sales of systems?

I believe it's both, I know systems it is for sure. Games I am not sure but I would assume so just because of it's head start, and it's a bit early to tell in Nintendo plans to put out games this generation.

Quote:
I actually imagined FUNimation getting it, but I guess everyone is hoping for the next Dragonball nowadays...

That could also work seeing how Funimation did get DBZ eventually, at least we wouldn't have to worry about widescreen issues. Rolling Eyes I am just glad that 4kids didn't swoop in like a vulture and take this series.....thank goodness.
ananda

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
Something I do not understand is why there's hype for Blue Dragon at all -

Blue Dragon is a Role-Playing game from the developers of Chrono Trigger. Exclusive for the Xbox 360.

Development Team:
Game Design: Hironobu Sakaguchi
Character Design: Akira Toriyama
Music Composer: Nobuo Uematsu
Release Date: US: August 2007 / Europe: September 2007

Famitsu gave it an: 10/9/9/9 ( Mistwalker's first ever game, next up will be Lost Odyssey xD)

About the Story:
Sakaguchi: Blue Dragon has a lot of bright sides to the Story and the Characters, but there are betrayals and double crosses. And the objective is to allow the gamers to grow with the characters through thick and thin, through a lot of problems. But the objective again is to create a heartwarming experience. So when they’re done with the game they’ll go, “What a beautiful game it was. What a happy ending. What a happy story.” That’s the emotional story around Blue Dragon.
===
Hope that helps. Smile

As for the Blue Dragon Anime---This is AWESOME News!!! Very Happy
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:07 pm Reply with quote
WTF, good lord,that was quick, why does it seem all of a sudden,Viz have been on a role licensing these animes so quickly, I mean,hell, the first episode has'nt even been subbed yet,D@MN it, no wonder it's taking so long for the first episode to be subbed.

and the reason why Blue Dragon is so hyped is that any anime with Akira Toriyama's cartoonist designs in it will please all those DBZ fanboys. Very Happy

and Deltakiral, I would'nt worry about 4Kids,because as of now, they hardly even license anime anymore, 4kids lost they're once great power like they did in 2003-3004,and besides,they never get animes with Akira Toriyama's artwork. if 4kids keeps dropping the anchor on many anime titles like Onepiece, Magical Doremi, and Tokyo Mew Mew,than I can't possibly see them trying to pick up another anime title.heh.

Last edited by ChronoBall X on Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
ananda

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Pics from the Blue Dragon Anime!!!
http://www.mistwalker-fr.info/images/news/bdacap0001.jpg
http://www.mistwalker-fr.info/images/news/bdacap0003.jpg

http://www.mistwalker-fr.info/images/news/bdacap0004.jpg
http://www.mistwalker-fr.info/images/news/bd_anime_006.jpg

^I don't know if they are old or what; but for anyone who hasn't seen them yet!!! Very Happy

Also, for the Upcoming Blue Dragon RPG game, the following English VAs have been confirmed:

Richard Epcar.....Voice Director (Batou in "Ghost in the Shell" as you may know)
Tara Strong.......Kluke
Mona Marshall.....Shu
Steve Staley......Jiro
Nika Futterman....Marumaro
Cindy Robinson.....Zola
Richard Herd......Nene
Fred Tataciore is also part of the Crew but it doesn’t get revealed who he is voicing!

^If they take the same Cast for the Anime Series, I don't think we need to worry. Cool

Here is the Article about the Localization Progress:
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/772/772809p1.html
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:14 am Reply with quote
ananda wrote:
Malintex Terek wrote:
Something I do not understand is why there's hype for Blue Dragon at all -
A lot of good information.

But the really big reason behind why Blue Dragon has all this hype is because one it's Microsoft big attempt at trying to get higher then 10% install base in Japan, so basically Microsoft did everything possible...Anime, Manga, bringing in the top game developers....and well it didn't do as great as everyone had hoped, but it's certainly is a start. Hopefully the anime and the manga do well enough to draw more fans in...
Son-kun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:

But the really big reason behind why Blue Dragon has all this hype is because one it's Microsoft big attempt at trying to get higher then 10% install base in Japan, so basically Microsoft did everything possible...Anime, Manga, bringing in the top game developers....and well it didn't do as great as everyone had hoped, but it's certainly is a start. Hopefully the anime and the manga do well enough to draw more fans in...

Well not that many people in Japan would want to pay $300 for a X-Box 360 Core even if it included Blue Dragon. After all, it's just one game. Chances are, after Lost Odyssey comes out, that might change.

Quote:
Richard Epcar.....Voice Director (Batou in "Ghost in the Shell" as you may know)
Tara Strong.......Kluke
Mona Marshall.....Shu
Steve Staley......Jiro
Nika Futterman....Marumaro
Cindy Robinson.....Zola
Richard Herd......Nene
Fred Tataciore is also part of the Crew but it doesn’t get revealed who he is voicing!

That's a pretty good line-up. Even with the option of switching to the Japanese voices, I'm definitely playing through the game with English cast line-up. Norio Wakamoto was the only seiyuu of my interest in the JPN line up since he's a veteran.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:16 pm Reply with quote
P.S. Want to know why everyone wants to make games for the DS....
March Sales figures,
Quote:

1. Nintendo DS 508K
2. PlayStation 2 280K
3. Wii 259K
4. Xbox 360 199K
5. PlayStation Portable 180K
6. Game Boy Advance 148K
7. PlayStation 3 130K
8. GameCube 22K

Also the Wii better cut out the holding back of systems they don't have the games for it, it's going to bite them in the end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2