• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-06-15]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mokitty

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:01 am Reply with quote
Haha, that was a refreshing read. All good questions!

As for the picture, I usually roll my eyes at those who insert Japan-isms into their English speech, but the only thing I could think when I saw that was, "Imeeji~."
Somehow I always pictured you as the bespectacled, wise older type. I suppose my experience with people in my own age bracket at large has led me to categorize my generation as a bunch of drooling, drunken asshats -- certainly not generally capable of the kind of reasoned, morally and factually informed thought you often display.

I suppose being proven wrong about that is rather refreshing, as well. Smile
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:13 am Reply with quote
Meh, I've already seen a picture of you Zac, back when you wrote for Anime Insider.

The flake made me laugh, in a good way.

The rant was a good read, and I agree with it; it's a shame that battles like that will be fought not just in anime but in music (Judas Priest or Iron Maiden), video games (PS3 or Xbox 360) and even in sports (Yankees or Red Sox). I realize that my posting of this might set off the very events that Mr. Mitchell just ranted about; so let's sit back and watch it in action.

And for the record: Maiden (but Priest is good too); PS3; and Red Sox
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The thing is I have so many talents i'm so confused as to what to do with all of them. I am a musician, artist, fighter, and a bit of a brain. One thing i do know is i have an incredible artist flair, am always creating things, and am also people friendly.

If you do say so yourself...

Rant:

Meh, I can see why that didn't actually win. His point kinda got lost in his overattempting to be funny. I think I at least partially agree with him. Its really kinda pointless for fans to get in fights just because of these kinda dissagreements. Especially since this stuff tends to be largely dependant on personal preferences or oppinion. Thats where I might begin to dissagree with him though. Theres nothing wrong with us having oppinions. Its fine to think one Anime is better than another. Hell, its even fine to tell people you think so. Just dont get all bent outta shape if someone dissagrees with you. Saying "Well, lets all just think that verything is good in its own way"...well, that sounds like stupid hippie talk to me, and remember hippies are bad!
mokitty

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:41 am Reply with quote
I've said it before and I'll say it again, thank god for geekdom, the only "dom" in which you can spend your entire life bonding with others by talking about how much you hate the things you love....
Nermal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:49 am Reply with quote
Noooo!!! I've always imagined (hah, creepy, I know) Answerman being part Mr. Belvedere, part R2-D2. That's ok...I will console myself by watching Digimon BITCH season 2 uncut.
VML

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:55 am Reply with quote
Zac doesn't look that bad! Smile He looks exactly how I imagined.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
athlios

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:56 am Reply with quote
Digimon Bitch! is probably actually a yaoi doujinshi. didn't know they animated those things . . .
Moros

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:59 am Reply with quote
{User banned following massive 'vandalism' of own past posts -- abunai}

Last edited by Moros on Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:30 am Reply with quote
ahh...Evangelion vs rahxepon?....what is rahxepon?.... Oh that show about giant robots that came and went without sadness or glory...
the robot with funny wings in the ears?

Evangelion is a derivative of Gunbuster (The original one) and ripped out so much out of it that it was crazy....

But since the new fans dont watch old school animation, it was all new for them...
kolibri

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:39 am Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
First and foremost, in my opinion, Anime World Order is easily the most entertaining podcast out there. [...] Shows are a little long, though, so be warned, and the show's token female, Clarissa, while insightful on occasion, does come across as a stereotypical yaoi fan girl at times.

Eh, what's with the Clarissa hating?

The only stereotypical yaoi fangirl trait that she shows on the show is the fact that she likes guys getting it on - beyond that she's always respectful, subjective and calm about the subject. She's not in your face, she doesn't force it on anyone, and she doesn't scream or run around hitting people with a paddle.

Sure, she talks about the subject, but one of the great things about AWO (my favorite anime podcast, BTW) is that they talk about pretty much everything under the anime/manga sun.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:43 am Reply with quote
kolibri wrote:

Eh, what's with the Clarissa hating?

I did not hate on Clarissa. I just stated my opinion.

I could never hate on Clarissa. She knows it all.
kolibri

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:46 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I did not hate on Clarissa. I just stated my opinion.

Good, good Smile

Would you care to explain your opinion then, it really leaves me baffled.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:59 am Reply with quote
kolibri wrote:
She's not in your face, she doesn't force it on anyone, and she doesn't scream or run around hitting people with a paddle.
Though if she did the last one, AWO would be even more awesome, but limitations of Skype and what-not.

And Honestly, I liked 51-B (Daryl's episode) as Daryl's slow decent into madness (as peeked by his "Promo" of R5 Central and his attempts to be part of the "Responsible for Nymphet Death" group highlighted) was actualy pretty entertaining.

Finaly: as a Fan of Digimon, I actauly lol'd at "Digimon Bitch", once again, the power of the comma is underestimated.
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:42 am Reply with quote
I always imagined Zac to be asian for some reason lol.

I know where the ranter is coming from. I remember before Advent Children came out here there were crazy arguments on Final Fantasy XI about the dub. You couldn't say anything about the movie without people jumping on you about how bad the dub was going to be. Even when me and others would tell people Sqaure Enix canceled its release like three times so that must mean they are chosing voice actors with care and not to mention they have been dubbing Final Fantasy games and they are not 4kids, but no, chat logs would be filled with text about how we were wrong and the dub was going to suck. Anybody who thought different was attacked. Then when the dub came out people would talk about each flaw in each characters english voice, then there was the real life drama. I let my friend in Japanese class borrow it and the next day when he gave it back we were talking about the movie and when we told this other kid in the class we watched it in english he told us to get out of Japanese class since we didn't have a right to be in there anymore.
shadow_Hiei

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:11 am Reply with quote
Show us the death threats!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 27