• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mushishi (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
But The big question I had still is unanswered(mostly due to my poor linguistic skills). When did the mushi ask her to look after him, when was the ceremony?? After a re-watch I think I have figured out what I missed. A bunch of evidence points to she was asked when the grandmother died. However, I believe it was when the grandmother was born, or at least very young , before the boy was even born. I point to time-frame 12:50 thru 13:30, and the ceremony itself.

Yes. The request from the mushi came when Renzu was still young, though I'm not sure how young she really was since they said it would be thirty-one years from then, and she looked to be in the single digits still (about 7 or 8, probably around Shinra's age). Then again, maybe their average life expectancy was shorter back in those days, and thus having children and grandchildren at a younger age.

Dragonxtc wrote:
That is some-what saddening. When I said goals I didn't mean that he is devious or anything, just that he has some underlying reason why he helps people, or something to that effect, it is to early to tell. Much in the way Cowboy Bebop did, where the story never really focusses on it, but you get more and more of a bigger picture as you move through the episodes. Oh well, the stories are interesting enough as is. But don't hate me if I hold out hope for explanations of the missing eye, or childhood experiences okay. Razz

Ah, sorry I misread that Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop. To make it short, no, there's not a central plot point or ultimate goal to the series. It simply focuses on atmosphere, stories, and presentation more than anything else. As I alluded to earlier, I like to view Mushi-Shi as kind of a chronicle of fairytales. Like if you were to open a book to tell your kids a bedtime story or something, this what you'd tell them and this how it would be animated.

The implications for myself, personally, are the symbolism and many subtle concepts that come out of this kind of mythology and folklore; something I've never really experienced in anime other than probably Master Keaton and Shinchiro Watanabe's stuff (though Bebop and Champloo are a lot more stylistic).

Anyway, looking at my post for Episode 1, I think I went a little too overboard with the summary... I'll try to make Episode 2's a little shorter, but with the same amount of screencaps. I'll probably get to it around the weekend or early next week.

Last edited by Tony K. on Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Well today is the official release date so I think I will continue with some short impressions of episodes 3-5. First thank you Tony for the response, I read it very soon after it was written, but very much like you did, I decided to wait until this comes out and is in more peoples hands. So I think now is as good as time as any to resume talks about this volume.

I was in Best Buy, and it was on the shelf 5 days ago. For those of you who didn't get, or are not going to get the starter set, the regular edition is the same as the starter kit. With the same DVD case slipcover and art card. I just wanted to point that out because sometimes companies will have different art for the two different editions, but that is not the case here.

These will just be short observations, since I plan to re-watch the whole volume down the line here again (although I watched the first episode three times, it's that good). And I will write more then, and hopefully some more people will have watched it by then as well.

Episode 3
Tender Horns

Okay first things first things first, this is just disgusting. Yuck!! It has a lot to do with the insides of your ear and maybe its just me but that just gives me the hebbie jebbies. As a century SCUBA diver I am well aware of all sorts of pain that can be caused on the inner ear. Be it due to pressure, infection, or both. And frankly the imagery hit home with me.

Ginkos jobs seems all but over in the first five minutes(Ie. you find all this out in five minutes) of this episode as he cures the town of these snails(mushi). The snails infect the ear and eat all sound, causing the host to go deaf in the infected ear. Ginko has a simple solution, and with a disgusting exit townsfolk are cured. Later it is found out that the grandson of the elder who called him there is also deaf, but has much different symptoms. Different symptoms equal different mushi.

With out going into to much detail, I find this episode to be quite interesting. We get to know that different mushi require different things. And that the world is always moving and talking to each, even in the dead silence of winter. And seems to me that to get rid of mushi you just give them what they don't want.

Also if you are not now, I suggest watching this on some sort of sound system if you can. The episode deals with sound and the dub was handled well.

Episode 4
Pillow Lane

This brought a level of violence that I thought I wouldn't see in these stories(and I don't say that in a necessarily bad way). It actually has a level of trama and shows that there is a human and dark side to these stories as well. It also opens up and shows a little history, if not a vague one, of Ginko.

I will hold of on any more comments for now, I want to see what you guys think.

Episode 5
The Traveling Swamp

I felt so sad for her, I really did.

It shows the brutal traditions of mysticism, and yet the pity and compassion of the spirits(ancient mushi) themselves.

You could take it two ways I believe. That the swamp was rejecting the sacrifice, and keeping the girl alive the only way it knew how, along the way growing fond of her. Or the swamp accepted the sacrifice and completely used her to the fullest potential. What do you think?

Either way there was definitely affection. Or was it loneliness? In the end it was mutual. And also in the end it was a tear-jerker, much in the same manner of episode one.

___)(--()-_-)(--___)(--()-_-)(--___)(--()-_-)(--___)(--()-_-)(--___)(--()-_-)(--___)(--()-_-)(--___)(--()-_-)(--

I am continually surprised at the level of depth one can take away from these stories. It is set up in such a way that if you want to make it a simple story you can. But it also leaves the door open for those who want to look deeper, into the meaning and actions of people, objects, spirits, etc. It also leaves interpretation's somewhat on the viewer, laying down the rules, with you left to decide who wins the bout. Since the human imagination is the greatest tool on earth, it allows the viewer to make the most of the stories laid before them.

@
Jedi General:

I still don't know what to make of the rumors going away. The simple explanation just doesn't make sense to me. I even went and read the manga, and that still didn't shed any new light on the matter. But like I said, that is part of why these stories turn out so good. Thanks for your thoughts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Wow,
I just saw the first two episodes curtesy of Gaia Online theaters, (dub only) and I was very happy with these episodes. Honestly after reading all this wonderful talk, I worried I would hate it, or expect too much. It stands as such a pretty, quiet and serene series from what I have seen and I would like to see more. It does in some ways beg to be compared to Kino's Journey as Jedi said, and I wasn't disappointed with the show so far. I hope it isn't too long until I get the disk.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
@Jedi General:

I still don't know what to make of the rumors going away. The simple explanation just doesn't make sense to me. I even went and read the manga, and that still didn't shed any new light on the matter. But like I said, that is part of why these stories turn out so good. Thanks for your thoughts.

You're welcome, I thought I'd share my thoughts, not to take anything away from Tony's thoughts, of course. You're right though, not being able to fully understand something that's left up to our imagination really helps in making this series as great as it is.

bonbonsrus wrote:
Wow, I just saw the first two episodes curtesy of Gaia Online theaters, (dub only) and I was very happy with these episodes. Honestly after reading all this wonderful talk, I worried I would hate it, or expect too much. It stands as such a pretty, quiet and serene series from what I have seen and I would like to see more. It does in some ways beg to be compared to Kino's Journey as Jedi said, and I wasn't disappointed with the show so far. I hope it isn't too long until I get the disk.

I'm glad to hear that you're liking it so far, despite the glowing talk on this series here. I was getting worried that someone would expect too much from the series, but maybe that won't be too much of a problem.

I'm happy to see that you see what I mean about the similarities between Mushi-Shi and Kino's Journey. I honestly don't think I would have appreciated Mushi-Shi as much had I not already seen Kino's Journey. I'm not making it a requirement to see Kino's first, that's just how things turned out for me. The only major problem I have with this series (and also Kino's Journey) is that it had to end, but that only goes to show how much I love this series. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Ow, my brain hurts after reading all of that. Anime dazed

I've tried, I really have, but I can't seem to find a way to enter my opinion in this thread as there are already a million words that I agree with. Mushi-Shi is one of my favorite series of all time because of its captivating beauty and fantastic musical score. The beautiful art box in those pictures will be mine someday, of course. Anime hyper

Can't wait to read another novel's-worth of reviews!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nekochi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
(4/29/2014)

(EDIT: This is a quote from the old summary I had, which has since been deleted, as I felt it was over-bloated, but I will leave it here for the context of the post)

As the episode begins, we observe some peculiar drawings, an ink and brush set, and a young boy drawing his day away. Of special note (and not pictured) is that the boy is narrating a special circumstance he has within his left hand. Long ago, he discovered that he possessed the ability to bring images he drew with his left hand to life. His grandmother would come to call it "the hand of God," but out of fear for his inability to control such a power at that age, she had forbade him from using it, thus wrapping his hand in tape. Here, we have the boy, Shinra, explaining that he had gone against his late grandmother's wishes because of an injury to his right index finger, which then led to his use of the left hand.

The results varied from a tree, to a glowing object (maybe a sun, star, or flame?) to a character that transformed into a bird. As some may know, many of the older language systems involved characters and symbols, though also known formerly as pictographs. As one would expect the image representing an object to actually resemble its meaning, through the hand of Shinra, we see these symbols brought to life.

The "pictographs" are actually kanji, a writing system used in Japan which is based on Chinese characters (the Japanese had a spoken language before a written one and so they took the characters and their meaning and added their own readings to them.) These Chinese characters were in turn based on pictures. The kanji they show him writing are rather simple (the first two would actually be learned in first grade) and are "ki" meaning tree, "hi" meaning sun or day, and "tori" meaning bird.

Tony K. wrote:
As the "bird" flies away, we then see that figure who was in the forest emerge from the greenery, catching the bird and realizing it's nothing more than ink. Alas, the man Shinra had sent for to aid him in figuring out this power is none other than Ginko, the Mushi-Shi (or mushi master)[/url]. As Shinra begins explaining his power, he mentions that ever since was little, no matter what he drew things just started coming to life all on their own. As he continues telling his story, day becomes dusk while the two begin.

Shinra actually didn't send for Ginko. Ginko is a rather curious person who likes to find out about strange phenomena which are often related to Mushi. He wrote Shinra a letter to see if he could come to investigate him. Because his grandmother had told him to not let anyone do so or to even use his powers, Shinra was going to refuse and that's actually the letter we see him writing in the beginning of the episode. Of course Ginko is both a rather nosy and a convincing person so he comes without receiving a reply from Shinra and talks to him in such a way that he would give out more information than he intended to. Anime hyper

Tony K. wrote:
Dragonxtc wrote:
But what ginko says at the end of this episode throws me through a loop as well. Something to the effect of "the rumors of the boy with the God-like left hand, were heard less and less. Untill finally, they simply faded away". Thing is the boy was always alone, at least to a normal persons eyes, and lived in the woods for the last 4 years. It really calls into question whether the boy was mushi as well, or does that simply mean he lost his powers, or does that mean he was transported away? Since really he was in seclusion anyway. It also calls into question the true intentions of Ginko himself, what was his goal? Maybe we arn't supposed to know yet, or I missed something really bad.

That's actually a really good question. But I would think Shinra himself was actually human. While he could see mushi himself, he was unable to see Renzu in the half-mushi form she was in at the time.

I'm not sure how to interpret the disappearance of the rumors about him, but the original role of his grandmother was just to watch over him, so maybe we can assume her powers included something like masking the estate from the public or whatever. Or maybe he did get spirited away. I mean, the series really leaves a lot to our own imagination, so anything is pretty much possible within "reason" of the series Razz.

I actually have a theory about this. The Kouki which Shinra drank is the same sake that turned Renzu herself into a mushi. Why wouldn't it do the same to Shinra? (This said, I do indeed think he was born as a human with slight mushi powers and only became a mushi after he drank the sake.) I think Ginko gave him the Kouki for this reason so that he would be able to stay with his grandmother. (Which by the way, was a much funnier meet up in Japanese as Ginko asks why they are blushing instead of telling them there is no need to be bashful. I guess they took that out for hints of incest though. Anime hyper) You notice Ginko didn't drink any of the Kouki and it was probably for this reason. After all, it is supposed to taste pretty good. Wouldn't you want to drink it unless there was some sort of unpleasant after effect? Razz

Also, I agree with the comparison of Mushishi to Kino no Tabi (Kino's Journey.) Kino no Tabi is my favorite anime ever. (I'm rather obsessed with it... ^-^;; ) However they are different in several ways. First of all, Kino explores the brutality of the human spirit and the way humans treat each other. Not only does it look at the evil that can often be found in human behavior, but it looks at the beauty. The beauty of people and this world which can be found in it's imperfections. Mushishi instead opts to look at life. By looking at mushi which are often parasitic creatures it begs the question, "What constitutes the value of one life over another?"

Both of them are very interesting animes and really make you think. Another anime which I would compare them both to would be Haibane Renmei. So if you liked any of these I would recommend looking into the others as well. By the way, in my book, Mushishi is a really close second to Kino which, coming from me, is a huge compliment considering how obsessed I am with Kino. (Oh, and if you think that the Mushishi anime is better than the Kino anime I'd suggest picking up the novels. There are ten of them so far, though only one has been translated, which is making me quite upset with Tokyopop. Anyways, the novels are much better than the anime and are some of my favorite books of any author or era, foreign or not.)
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Nekochi wrote:
The "pictographs" are actually kanji, a writing system used in Japan which is based on Chinese characters (the Japanese had a spoken language before a written one and so they took the characters and their meaning and added their own readings to them.) These Chinese characters were in turn based on pictures. The kanji they show him writing are rather simple (the first two would actually be learned in first grade) and are "ki" meaning tree, "hi" meaning sun or day, and "tori" meaning bird.

I was actually referring to the pictures he drew, but meant "pictographs" as just a general reference to the Chinese characters/symbols in case no one around here actually knew what kanji was. Then again, this is an anime forum, so I was probably mistaken in assuming very few people around here would know what those symbols were called in the first place.

I was trying to make it a more literal terminology to describe its meaning (like what you mentioned about the picture based "writing" system kanji is suppose to be), but at the same time I was trying to use some double entendre since the kanji/symbols/pictures (whatever you want to call them at this point) actually came to life as well, in addition to being the writing system used at the time.

Nekochi wrote:
Shinra actually didn't send for Ginko. Ginko is a rather curious person who likes to find out about strange phenomena which are often related to Mushi. He wrote Shinra a letter to see if he could come to investigate him. Because his grandmother had told him to not let anyone do so or to even use his powers, Shinra was going to refuse and that's actually the letter we see him writing in the beginning of the episode. Of course Ginko is both a rather nosy and a convincing person so he comes without receiving a reply from Shinra and talks to him in such a way that he would give out more information than he intended to. Anime hyper

Ah, so that's what that whole deal was about? I was wondering why Ginko was acting so familiar with him, probably to get on his good side so he could at least "get his foot in the door" then investigate or examine things from there.

Nekochi wrote:
I actually have a theory about this. The Kouki which Shinra drank is the same sake that turned Renzu herself into a mushi. Why wouldn't it do the same to Shinra? (This said, I do indeed think he was born as a human with slight mushi powers and only became a mushi after he drank the sake.) I think Ginko gave him the Kouki for this reason so that he would be able to stay with his grandmother. (Which by the way, was a much funnier meet up in Japanese as Ginko asks why they are blushing instead of telling them there is no need to be bashful. I guess they took that out for hints of incest though. Anime hyper) You notice Ginko didn't drink any of the Kouki and it was probably for this reason. After all, it is supposed to taste pretty good. Wouldn't you want to drink it unless there was some sort of unpleasant after effect? Razz

Wow, brilliant theory! That actually makes perfect sense Anime hyper. This also explains a little of Episode 2's reasoning for not staring into the River of Light for so long. I'm guessing that if any of your senses are exposed to that river, it does something with ones physicality. For instance in Episode 1, Renzu and Shinra drank some of it and became Mushi, while in Episode 2, Sui looked at it too long and lost her eyeballs.

And yeah, I caught that whole blushing thing when Renzu became visible to Shinra. His blushing and dumbfounded look was priceless Laughing. I mean, she looked even younger than he did. And being cooped up on that mountain for so long, it was probably his first time seeing such a pretty young girl. Too bad for him it was his grandmother Razz.

Last edited by Tony K. on Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Nekochi wrote:
I actually have a theory about this. The Kouki which Shinra drank is the same sake that turned Renzu herself into a mushi. Why wouldn't it do the same to Shinra? (This said, I do indeed think he was born as a human with slight mushi powers and only became a mushi after he drank the sake.) I think Ginko gave him the Kouki for this reason so that he would be able to stay with his grandmother.

Wow, that actually makes a whole lot sense. If Renzu became a mushi by drinking the sake, why shouldn't Shinra become one also? So if that's the case, it seems that Dargonxtc had the right idea about Shinr becoming a mushi. You've supplied something to back that idea up. To echo what Tony said, that's a brilliant theory indeed.

Nekochi wrote:
Also, I agree with the comparison of Mushishi to Kino no Tabi (Kino's Journey.) Kino no Tabi is my favorite anime ever. (I'm rather obsessed with it... ^-^;; ) However they are different in several ways. First of all, Kino explores the brutality of the human spirit and the way humans treat each other. Not only does it look at the evil that can often be found in human behavior, but it looks at the beauty. The beauty of people and this world which can be found in it's imperfections. Mushishi instead opts to look at life. By looking at mushi which are often parasitic creatures it begs the question, "What constitutes the value of one life over another?" Both of them are very interesting animes and really make you think.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I said about the differences between Kino's Journey and Mushi-Shi, only you were a more verbose about it (and I'd say that you'd explained it better as well). Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Seraphim_Alchemist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:17 am Reply with quote
I've haven't had the chance to view this series yet but I'm really really intrigued by it. I think what appeals to me the most is the fact that it is (essentially) a new age fairytale. I've been told the art is stunning and the cast is wonderful so I can't wait to get this in my hands. Very Happy

I love nature and it's nice to see or read about a show that is trying to tell us about the world that surrounds us and to take a step back and enjoy what we have and what it can do for us.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Nekochi wrote:

Oh man, what can I say except thank you. That makes perfect sense. And that solves the rumors question that has been racking my brain over this issue. Perhaps the rumors before were only generated by the occasional traveler, and I am sure he had supplies brought to him as well. All of whom would be curious of a boy living alone. But if he was turned full fledged mushi no one would be able to see him if he was there anyway. And it works for it if you believe Shinra was a mushi, and human with powers, or some sort of mixture(I say mix). Again thanks.

As far as the blushing scene, I took it as the same in either version. The Japanese says "why are you guys so shy all of a sudden?" and the english "come on, no need to be shy." It is clear he didn't expect to see a cute young girl(around his age) standing in front of him. I don't think it is trying to get around any sort of incest thing, I mean who wouldn't blush. It's not like the kid sees very many young cute girls or anything. Besides in the Japanese version, I took it as asking a question you already know the answer too, just to break the ice so to speak. So for me both versions were funny.

But beyond that, this is one of the scenes that makes this story emotionally driven. It emphasizes the sadness that each must have been feeling. Alone yet together. Even though the scene itself is a happy one, it cleverly mixes in some history of the two through the emotions that they all of a sudden feel.

When is V.2 coming out again?
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
When is V.2 coming out again?

Interestingly enough, on September 11th.
Nekochi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
I was actually referring to the pictures he drew, but meant "pictographs" as just a general reference to the Chinese characters/symbols in case no one around here actually knew what kanji was. Then again, this is an anime forum, so I was probably mistaken in assuming very few people around here would know what those symbols were called in the first place.

I was trying to make it a more literal terminology to describe its meaning (like what you mentioned about the picture based "writing" system kanji is suppose to be), but at the same time I was trying to use some double entendre since the kanji/symbols/pictures (whatever you want to call them at this point) actually came to life as well, in addition to being the writing system used at the time.

I wasn't trying to suggest you were misinformed or anything. I was just trying to give people extra information. I know that I for one like random facts. Anime hyper Sorry if that gave off the wrong sort of message.

As for the blushing scene... I suppose I must have remembered the Japanese text wrong. It's been awhile since I've seen Mushishi subbed. (Especially episode 1, which is probably my least favorite of the bunch. And considering how good episode 1 is, I'd say that's a pretty big compliment to the rest.)

Also another thing I forgot to say about Kino... I actually think Mushishi has more comic relief than Kino no Tabi. Also Ginko doesn't seem quite as serious as Kino to me and seems to have a bit of Hermes' comic relief aspect while still staying serious enough to act as your eye to the world. If that makes any sense at all... Anime hyper In fact Ginko is so much like a mix between Kino and Hermes that my friend and I jokingly call him Kino and Hermes' love child. Anime hyper Though this is probably more because Kino x Hermes seriously cracks us up than anything else. Anime hyper

And I'm glad you guys like my theory. :3 I hadn't actually thought of it too much before this topic, but I think it makes a lot of sense. It makes me happy that I'm not the only one who thinks so (like my Kino has PTSD theory... But it's best not to get me started on that. Anime hyper)
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I just finished vol. 1 and loved it. It's very refreshing, with its way of storytelling and its visuals. I couldn't possibly say enough about how great it looks. The music too is excellent.

I hope the Mushi-shi live action movie will make it over here someday.
Amethyst Alchemist
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:11 am Reply with quote
I must say from what I've seen of it, it is an outstanding series. The thing that strikes me the most (at least of what I've seen so far) is the "quietness" of the series. It's not loud and obnoxious like all too many anime are. Mushi-Shi is very intelligent and manages to tell a wonderful and amazing story free of constant shouting, idiotic fanservice, and constant hand-to-hand combat. It's really refreshing and beautiful.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:06 am Reply with quote
I just picked up the artbox from Best Buy today, and I must say it's gorgeous. I really like the coarse texture they gave to the box and the DVD's slipcover. It goes perfectly with the series. I too am going to keep that little filler box. I'm glad that they decided not to put ads on it.

The little booklet that comes inside the DVD is very nicely put together. I can't wait to read the booklets that come with the rest of the series. I'm guessing that there will be more than one postcard in some of the DVDs, if they plan to include all 8 of them, that is. I also switched the reversible side. I really like the idea of "peeling away layers." FUNimation has definately gone all out by bringing us this wonderful collector box.

As for the DVD itself, I like the art and music chosen for the menus. I even found an easter egg in the extras section. Click on the paper that Ginko is holding and you get a promotional video that was shown in bookstores. Basically it's a montage of scenes from the first episode with the full version of the OP playing in the background. At the end it mentions that 6 volumes of the manga are now on sale.

I also watched episodes 2 and then 5 dubbed (I really wanted to watch the swamp episode as it is one of my favorites, so I skipped 3 & 4 for now). There continue to be some minor dialogue rewrites, but the overall meaning stays pretty much the same. Travis continues to be great as Ginko and the folks who supply the voices for the minor characters continue to also fit quite nicely. I really like the VA they cast as Adashino as well. I'll most likely be watching episodes 3 & 4 tomorrow. If I don't go and see The Bourne Ultimatum instead, that is. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9