• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Natsume's Book of Friends Get 4th Season in January

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mischeivious_lil_kitsune

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:46 am Reply with quote
Hooray! This is good news that I want to hear!
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The anime seasons and Yuki Midorikawa's original manga revolve around Natsume, a boy who has been able to see ghosts since he was little. Unfortunately, humans shun him, and there is not much fondness between him and ghosts either. One day, he inherits a Yūjin-Chō ("Book of Friends") from his grandmother. The book is actually full of contracts that his grandmother made to trap ghosts. As one ghost after another shows up, Natsume tries to release or help them — even while many of them seek vengeance on him.

Is that how they are translating Yokai into English, as "ghosts"? There isn't a direct one-to-one correspondence between Japanese supernatural creatures and English-language ones, but "ghosts" always suggested to me something connected to people who have died, either their souls, or parts of their souls, or some kind of a psychological echo. Yokai include things like the spirits of old umbrellas, and women with extremely extensible necks.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:06 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
Is that how they are translating Yokai into English, as "ghosts"?

Nope, the official translation on CR is no translation at all, they leave it as yokai (or youkai). The website itself calls them "spirits" rather than ghosts, but the subtitles don't translate it.

Glad we only have to wait one season to see season 4 in the winter line up!

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryan227

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:22 pm Reply with quote
sailorsarah wrote:
gorbal wrote:
Dagon123 wrote:
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Excellent, now if only someone would license the show so I could buy the DVDs here instead of just watching them streaming (NISA?Nozumi? S23?)

^^THIS

Would gladly buy a Sub Only release as well, just as long as it gets released on DVD at all

This is the only series I want to buy right now...I wonder why the wait is so long?

I agree with all of these! I want to buy this show on DVD or Blu Ray!

Yeah I'm dying to be able to buy this! When I saw Viz in the article I thought for one second they might have gotten the anime too. I think because it does so well in Japan the rights holders might be asking for more than American companies are willing to pay because it probably won't sell that well here. The manga doesn't even sell well enough to get on the best sellers list in the US Crying or Very sad
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:52 pm Reply with quote
gorbal wrote:
This is the only series I want to buy right now...I wonder why the wait is so long?

I do too, but it's probably for the same reason why no one's licensed Letter Bee 1&2 yet. Among other titles, Natsume Yuujinchou's would be of lower priority.
gorbal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:31 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
gorbal wrote:

I do too, but it's probably for the same reason why no one's licensed Letter Bee 1&2 yet. Among other titles, Natsume Yuujinchou's would be of lower priority.

It is one of Brain's Base's best selling titles. I would hardly call it a low priority.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:39 pm Reply with quote
gorbal wrote:
configspace wrote:
gorbal wrote:

It is one of Brain's Base's best selling titles. I would hardly call it a low priority.

I mean among potential US licensees
LKK

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Ryan227 wrote:
Yeah I'm dying to be able to buy this! When I saw Viz in the article I thought for one second they might have gotten the anime too. I think because it does so well in Japan the rights holders might be asking for more than American companies are willing to pay because it probably won't sell that well here. The manga doesn't even sell well enough to get on the best sellers list in the US Crying or Very sad

I think you found your explanation as to the lack of the anime's license right there. The lack of manga sales probably says to the US anime publishers that there isn't a strong built-in crossover audience.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Excellent, now if only someone would license the show so I could buy the DVDs here instead of just watching them streaming (NISA?Nozumi? S23?)

I SECOND THAT NOTION!!! And don't forget...maybe Aniplex of America should get it! They funded Zoku and this series!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Congrats to Natsume. I hope it continues its success.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Nozomi or Aniplex of America pick it up.

Last edited by Megiddo on Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Taiyz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Woo! Of all the shows I'm watching currently, Natsume Yuujinchou was the only one that I was really sad about having to end. I know that the manga's still continuing, but still, we went for a while before San!

Man, January's going to be great!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bendomolena

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Tears of Happiness are falling from my face. Let the Natsume continue!
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:03 pm Reply with quote
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Long live Lord Natsume & Nyanko-sensei!!! *bows*
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:07 am Reply with quote
Ryan227 wrote:
sailorsarah wrote:
gorbal wrote:
Dagon123 wrote:
wandering-dreamer wrote:

^^THIS

Would gladly buy a Sub Only release as well, just as long as it gets released on DVD at all

I agree with all of these! I want to buy this show on DVD or Blu Ray!

I would be pre-ordering this as soon as it was announced.

Happy about the 4th season new regardless.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:55 am Reply with quote
keikanna44 wrote:
No matter how many times I watch it, I never get tired of this show. It's one of the most calming but not boring shows I've ever seen. I really enjoy it. Looking forward to season 4! I hope CR subs it. Very Happy

Agree; this show is probably unique in with this seemingly paradoxical quality.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3