• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan Plans to Toughen Copyright Law on Downloads

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:39 pm Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
Ah yes-another Salem witch hunt starts!!

"Witch hunt" has become the most overused and obnoxious catchphrase I've heard in a while. A company attempting to protect its copyright is not a "witch hunt".

zrdb wrote:
I download fansubs and nothing you can say or do will stop me-ever.

Like 90 percent of what you say on this forum is YOU CAN'T STOP ME, I LOVE FANSUBS!. I have to ask, since you seem pretty militant about it, what if you were actually prosecuted and fined for it? Would you stop then?
Xanas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I can only speak for myself, but if they actually fined me I'd just stop buying from them entirely and would choose other things to do (provided I didn't just find ways to be much more secretive about it). If they threw me in jail then they'd be screwing society out of 24k a year. I'd sure think that was awfully smart of them. I think I'd laugh at the irony honestly.

I'll agree with you that "witch hunt" is a severe way to describe the situation as it stands now, but as things progress I think you'll find more and more p2p technology using encryption (already happening) and tracking users a bit more difficult. If the companies continue to try to "protect their copyright" it'll require more effort on their part (meaning more $) and more laws to allow them to snoop further and get more out of ISP's, etc.

The people who have something to gain from this war over copyright are lawyers, developers of DRM, and lobbyists. Everyone else is going to get screwed either in $ or in freedoms. The likelihood that artists/authors will make more money from these laws is very likely 0.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Deleted rudeness.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:48 pm; edited 4 times in total
hikura

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:03 pm Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
Ah yes-another Salem witch hunt starts!! I download fansubs and nothing you can say or do will stop me-ever. I've heard all the "you're stealing intellectual property and killing the anime industry" pap so many times I have the speill memorized. The only way downloading is ever gonna stop is to kill the internet-don't think that's gonna happen anytime soon. And yes-I do purchase a lot of R1 anime dvds so I do my part to support the ADVs and Funimations out there.

I will agree with you on one thing.Illegal downloads will not stop.But when you get heavily fined and/or jailed enjoy your stance on it.
I and society constantly hear people like yourself say the same thing but when you get caught society never stops hearing people like yourself stop complaining that you were not really doing anything wrong.If you made a choice in life you have to live with that choice(s).Just like people who speed.They always complain they are not doing anything wrong and the police should be doing their jobs and catching the real criminals.If you break a law no matter how minor you still broke the law.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Deleted.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
hikura

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Fiction Alchemist wrote:
The amount of over-reaction to this in this thread is laughable, from the uber-contempt for fansubs to the belief that you're being burned at the stake because a company wants to crack down on the downloading. I hold no contempt when I say this, but I thought that I over-reacted to things.

Oh, when Aishiteruze Baby gets licensed, then call me, okay? I'll want to buy it. Heck, maybe I'll learn Japanese sometime soon and buy the original Japanese DVDs if they even exist, since I like the show so much. Remember, WHEN it gets licensed. Wink (I think I should get that Japanese class sometime soon, yeah?)

EDIT:Never mind on my post(this one) lol.

Last edited by hikura on Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:34 pm Reply with quote
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!@!

"enforcing the copyright law...."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Piracy has come for like 30 years.... and now this

HAHAHAHAHA

no a chance in *****
calawain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Don't get too distraught over this. With the hostility most US courts look at foreign laws with, the relatively small size/resources of most anime copyright holding companies, and the lack of success the RIAA has been able to achieve as a hugely powerful American company with nearly unlimited resources and influence, you shouldn't be looking in the mail for a notice of suit because you downloaded a fansub.
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:56 pm Reply with quote
AnimeRonin wrote:
erilot wrote:
Does this mean the end to fansubs?
Not so, in my opinion. It only covers those that provide/stream content which are "illegal under Japanese Copyright law". Also note that it's doesn't imply all fansubs.

I'm pretty sure illegally posted anime episodes fall under "illegal under Japanese copyright law"

This should affect fansubs, as they often rely on Japanese fans bootlegging dvd's and TV broadcasts- something which japanese companies can now fine downloaders for.

In terms of making fansubs go away, it all depends on how seriously japanese companies take this.... ones who are more serious then others will ensure their series aren't shared. People have been sent prison for bootlegging anime and manga online in Japan, and this is going to make it easier for them to take on people who do this.....

It's a good day for artist's rights Smile
calawain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
AnimeRonin wrote:
erilot wrote:
Does this mean the end to fansubs?
Not so, in my opinion. It only covers those that provide/stream content which are "illegal under Japanese Copyright law". Also note that it's doesn't imply all fansubs.

I'm pretty sure illegally posted anime episodes fall under "illegal under Japanese copyright law"

This should affect fansubs, as they often rely on Japanese fans bootlegging dvd's and TV broadcasts- something which japanese companies can now fine downloaders for.

In terms of making fansubs go away, it all depends on how seriously japanese companies take this.... ones who are more serious then others will ensure their series aren't shared. People have been sent prison for bootlegging anime and manga online in Japan, and this is going to make it easier for them to take on people who do this.....

It's a good day for artist's rights Smile

I fail to see how punishing downloaders affects those that upload raws for fansubbers to use. Uploading raws is already illegal, this law doesn't change anything in that regard.
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Fiction Alchemist wrote:

Oh, when Aishiteruze Baby gets licensed, then call me, okay? I'll want to buy it. Heck, maybe I'll learn Japanese sometime soon and buy the original Japanese DVDs if they even exist, since I like the show so much. Remember, WHEN it gets licensed. Wink (I think I should get that Japanese class sometime soon, yeah?) [Just in case this wasn't clear, the point of this paragraph was that some things are probably never going to get licensed, and that fansubs will likely always exist for that reason]

But the more people buy of a given anime genre, the more likely other anime in that genre are to be licensed........ given companies do take risks with Shojo anime [and have often benefitted from it, so they've kept licensing more], I could actually see someone, like VIZ, Funi or even ADV [they're releasing Wallflower] taking a chance with it. But if people don't support shojo, well, we won't get more shojo Sad

And even if it takes ages and ages for something to come over, there's always buying the R2's [a little more costly at 30-50/dvd, but still does the job], or importing from other regions/languages [the R1 french/japanese language from Imavision Rose of Versailles DVD boxsets are LOADS cheaper then the R2's]

Last edited by Paploo on Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:08 pm Reply with quote
calawain wrote:

I fail to see how punishing downloaders affects those that upload raws for fansubbers to use. Uploading raws is already illegal, this law doesn't change anything in that regard.

It takes two to tango.
And downloaders ofter share via P2P software, or send it off to other downloaders- like say, people in the US, and other countries.

If you clean up the mess at home, it won't escape the kitchen.

Japan's a smaller market, and it's a lot cheaper for them to take the downloaders there to court- it'll be hard to get access to fansubs if they've shut down the sites in Japan that enable domestic downloading to exist. It'll be interesting to see how this affects the bootlegging community here.
Roy9076

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Great news! I only hope that this whole issue passes through with flying colors!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
I can only speak for myself, but if they actually fined me I'd just stop buying from them entirely and would choose other things to do (provided I didn't just find ways to be much more secretive about it). If they threw me in jail then they'd be screwing society out of 24k a year. I'd sure think that was awfully smart of them. I think I'd laugh at the irony honestly.

You think anyone's worried about your 24k?
I think Martha Stewart makes a little more than that-didn't stop society from locking her up.
Locking lawbreakers up is supposed to teach them to respect the laws of society (not here to argue whether it does or doesn't. I actually agree with Robert Bloch's line about Capital Punishment--no, it doesn't work as a deterrant, but these people have shown they don't want to abide by society's laws, so there is no place for them) No one is particularly worried about the criminal's contribution to society as much as preventing the crime from being committed again--protecting the victims. The punishment is supposed to fit the crime & be severe enough the criminal won't re-offend. If the criminal re-offends, then society looks at removing the criminal (longer & longer prison stays, capital punishment)

By your argument, very few people would be locked up for the loss of their income to the economy.

zrdb wrote:
I download fansubs and nothing you can say or do will stop me-ever.

it's spiel. speill would be said spile (like nein is pronounced 9) It's German-to play as I recall.
Never say never. You might actually find your conscience someday.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:13 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

You think anyone's worried about your 24k?
I think Martha Stewart makes a little more than that-didn't stop society from locking her up.

At most I think uploaders and downloaders - unless they were so excessive as to create a scenario where a fine simply isn't punishment enough - would suffer some heavy fines. Most states don't have jail space for things like this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6