• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Philosophical/Psychological recommendations.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:45 am Reply with quote
One psychological must have is Perfect Blue. For starters be warned this is not for the kiddies. One of the most suspenseful movies I've seen in a long long time. While it may not be new it still holds it's own. I tried thinking of a good summary but was lost as what to type. So I'll just copy a bit from our own encyclopedia. The review doesn't even list who reviewed it so which ever staffer did thanks for the review. It's coming in handy. Wink

Quote:
Mima is a pop-star in a girly trio known as "Cham". (Think "Bananarama.") While not that popular (they've never broken the top 100 chart), they have a very devoted fan following. When Mima announces her retirement from Cham in order to pursue an acting career at the reccomendation of one of her managers. (The other, a former idol herself, is quite against it.) While the "normal" otaku all gather around to discuss this (and sell Cham fanzines), one especially (ahem) devoted fan is not at all happy about this. He seems to be popping up everywhere, and Mima is wondering who this guy is.

...But that's the least of her problems. She's gotten threatening letters, an obscene phone call, and discovers a fan web site, "Mima's Room", has a daily journal that knows WAAAY too much about her. "Who are you?" she wonders to herself.

Ironcially, that's her one and only line in a direct-to-video movie series she's starring in, "Double Bind". She repeats it over and over to herself, and events in real life start having an errie similarity to her screen-life. As her roles get more and more seedy (in one, she plays a stripper who is graphically raped by her audience), more and more bad things start happening. People close to her start dying. Is she killing them? Is she the stalker or the stalked?
solot58

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:34 am Reply with quote
I second series like Gungrave and Monster, but i'd also add to the list Gankutsouou (pretty sure i spelled the name wrong) its based off the famous novel The count of Monte Cristo by alexander dumas, but from the perspective of Albert. Almost forgot, Code Geass should fit all of those requirements...if you dont believe us, just check the ratings, they've almost never failed me in deciding to pick up a new show
Magical Ducky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:52 am Reply with quote
Gantz is a very darkly themed anime which often gets the rap of being exploitation as it is very violent and gory, but it is highly psychological and evocative, in my opinion.
Full Metal Panic has your fun militaristic action, complete with stoic soldier-boy.
Kino's Journey is a delight, very philosophical and intuitive.

that's all I can think of right now, it's really cold in my house, time to go find me some blankets and tea.
silver_omicron

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Fullmetal Alchemist, to be exact, is not something you can classify as "Psychological Drama" but it does touch on Philosophical concepts with a heavy emphasis on the Military both as profession and as a theme to be observed in the plot line. No... you can't exactly locate an "Id, Ego, Superego", and it isn't entirely about war, but it certainly delves into the human psyche as far as the complexity of emotions go.

War plays a large part, both as backstory and as current happenings within the movie. If anything, i'd recommend reading a little about the series and watching the movie, if you're too lazy to be bothered with the whole thing.

Regardless, it's still an animé worth watching.
SolRHN

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Thank you all, again. I've seen some Fullmetal Alchemist and have the movie on dvd. I do enjoy it, and when I'm in the mood for something light hearted it seems to do the trick. I'm also familiar with Full Metal Panic! and I love it. I had not forgotten about it, but I had put it on the back burner. The other suggestions sound cool too. By the way, I've checked out a bit of gungrave since I started this thread, and I thought it was pretty cool, so thanks on that one. I started a list of all your suggestions, so I'll be sure to check them out. Thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
animebrainyanic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:56 am Reply with quote
One movie recommendation is Paprika, having thought to buy a DVD of these and thought it would be a waste of money but it's totally not, surely it is one of the best psychological movies I have watched and still looking for the answers why and why is that? Still, today I am still re-watching this psychological, horror genre along with my friends. I love this movie very much along with some Hayao Miyazaki's movies. A great movie for everyone, overall it's good, I'm still comparing the series Monster and Paprika like they are alike, much more of a Seinen maybe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:59 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned "Paranoia Agent" for a proper headf*** job.

Woah, you're right Shocked. Then I'll just add links for Mamoru Oshii and Satoshi Kon since these two in particular are renowned for the psychological themes in their writing/directing.

I'll also throw in Mind Game, a very unorthodox title, but in my opinion a masterpiece, on the philosophy of life. I wrote the summary, though I made it a bit obscure so that the audience could make their own interpretation at the end. It starts out a little serious, but when you break it down, it's all comedy, really.

The visuals are.. "crazy," to make it subtle. Character designs, artwork, backgrounds; a lot of it is a mix of 2D/3D with super imposed, live-action pictures integrated here and there. It may seem a bit too weird for some of you, but I feel it's pretty unique in presenting a very fun atmosphere.

Anyway, the essential theme in this one is that we shouldn't take life for granted. When you get a second chance, you'd better go for it all. "Don't get down, stay cheery, look forward to life, seize the day!" Those are the kinds of slogans I got from it. And no, it's not anything like a shounen title. The narrative is much different, literally a "mind game," and the themes/symbolism are on a much more mature level.

Well, here's a trailer for those who are curious. Also, here is a dedicated thread discussing the movie.
exilesgate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Most of these have already been stated but I would like to mention them anyway.

Perfect Blue is one of my favorites. Very serious and psychologically twisted. Paranoia Agent is an excellent anime that explores multiple aspects of human fear and desire to escape.

Gasaraki is awesome! Very political with a lot of Japanese cultural references.

One that hasn't been stated yet is the original Mermaid Forest OVAs. They're Rumiko Takahashi's only horror anime and they are beautifully done. They are a little hard to get a hold of but they're worth it. And no, I am not talking about the newer tv version.
young98

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:07 am Reply with quote
psychological is one of my favorite types of anime because of how smart or deep the story has to be, otherwise it'll be retarded
Death Note has an awesome story, and i started watching this anime thinking there's no way Light can be caught, but then L shows up, and rains on his parade, in ways i didn't think possible, yet seem very logical once presented
Neon Genesis Evangelion is another, the psychological aspect isn't too strong early on, but it grows until it climaxes at the end where you see the inner turmoil of Shinji, and even the ones of other characters, the last two episodes are so chock full of psychologicalness that you'll probably need to watch it a couple times just to attempt to understand, the alternate ending movies present a more clear ending, but still make you think
Skys

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:31 am Reply with quote
I recommend that anyone who is interested in the Philosophical/Psychological genre (and even people who are not) should check out Kino's Journey, Haibane Renmei, and Ghost Hound. All three of them are really great shows that should be seen at least once.

Kino's Joureny
Anime News Network wrote:
The story follows the travels of Kino, a young adventurer who rides a talking motorcycle named Hermes. They explore the people and cultures of different places throughout their adventures, spending only three days at each location.

Many times I don't really like episodic anime, but that isn't the case for this one. I really enjoyed being able to take a look at the world and people in general from so many different perspectives.

Haibane Renmei
A dream of falling from the sky...and then birth. Rakka is born from a large cocoon into the Old Home, greeted by a group of females with small wings on their backs and shining halos above their heads. Soon Rakka’s own wings grow, a halo is placed on her head and she is told that she must work in the nearby town of Grie. She soon realizes that the town and the entire world they live in are confined behind the Wall, a tall, impenetrable wall that none except the mysterious Toga are allowed to exit.

Haibane Renmei may move at a rather slow pace for an anime, but it is really fun to watch. The mysteries of the world Rakka finds herself in are a good representation for the major questions in our own lives. Where does one's soul come from and where does it go when it leaves? What is one's purpose in life? How much is there beyond our reach? Questions like these are what makes this show truly enjoyable.

Ghost Hound
Production IG's 20th Anniversary Project, Ghost Hound is set in the modest town of Suiten, located in a desolate region in the island of Kyūshū. The story follows the experiences of three boys who have had traumatic experiences in childhood from which they have learned to transfer their souls to a parallel world known as the "Unseen World". The Unseen World is however undergoing a change, with its ghosts starting to appear in the real world, altering it in unpredictable ways.

This is a show I did not find till recently. As of now, only about half the episodes have been broadcast, but I highly enjoyed watching it. This anime is definitely not for those who like everything to be apparent from the beginning. Most of this anime is played out like a puzzle, with pieces being added slowly overtime. But that aspect of the anime is what I truly enjoy. Psychology plays a large role in this anime with much focus being given to characters emotions and past experiences. Many psychological terms are brought up in this anime (Don't worry, they are explained) and I felt they really broadened my understanding of the human mind and why many of the characters act the way they do. Anyone who likes psychology or just wants to watch a really interesting anime should check this one out.
loka

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:56 am Reply with quote
i'm expecting this topic to get locked soon based upon animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21419

i suggest posting your request for recommendations on other message boards [that allow such things.]

there are also anime list sites out there that allow you to search by users' tags; i.e. find all anime users have tagged psychological. though this approach will likely yield an unwieldy number of shows.
Skys

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:12 am Reply with quote
loka wrote:
i'm expecting this topic to get locked soon based upon animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21419

Yes, that link is how I got to this thread. This is one of their recommendation threads by genre. I do not expect it to be locked.
Sogekingu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Speed Grapher is a really good anime, and ever episode will leave you wanting for more. Its got action and a really good storyline.

Death Note is a must see, lots of suspense and psychological drama. Ever episode is just awesome, and once one finishes you'll probably want to see the next one immediately.

Darker than Black is a really good series too, its alot like Black Lagoon except with people who have supernatural powers, and while its not as action packed as Black Lagoon every fight scene is just awesome. and the 2 arc episodes in the show are all really good.\

Ergo Proxy I can't say much about this show since I'm only 2 episodes in but so far its a really good show and with suspense and alot of action, its pretty dark.
Mistress9
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Wow everyone has already given you so many good suggestions, but I want to add one on. I highely recommend Perfect Blue, its my favorite anime movie. It basically centers around Mima a retired pop idol trying to make it as an actress, but mysterious events keep happening that lead her to question her sainty and the possibly that she could be a murder. It's a really good movie, that leaves you realing, even after watching it numerous times. I have seen it four times, and I still get goose pipples watching it. Seriously I hightely recommend this title.
Reno-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:04 pm Reply with quote
I'll happily endorse the recommendations of Kino's Journey, Haibane Renmei, and Monster.

A very worthy show that hasn't been listed yet is Legend of the Galactic Heroes. This 110 episode OAV (with additional movies and OAVs) is in my opinion the best space opera ever. The characters are very well developed, including minor characters, with the main characters being fully fleshed out and believable. You get to see a war play out between the Galactic Empire (a monarchy/military dictatorship) and the democratic Free Planet Alliance from both sides. Each side has its own flaws in its government, and likable, sympathetic characters. I could see some people into flashy action getting bored by this series, but I find the political intrigue and space battles to be quite compelling, and the real possibility of death for characters I like keeps me on the edge of my seat while watching this. I can't recommend this series enough.

Another rather philosophical show is Master Keaton. It's by Naoki Urasawa, the creator of Monster, but unlike Monster, it's extremely episodic. Most episodes focus on the title character, Taichi Keaton, doing investigations for the insurance company he works for. You get to see him do just about everything - he's a master of survival, detective work, surveillance, you name it - and episodes usually resolve with touching scenes or interesting revelations. I wouldn't recommend this show as highly as LotGH, but if you enjoy Kino's Journey or Monster, definitely check this out.

Last edited by Reno-chan on Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5