• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Society for the Study of Really Awesome Endings

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandstar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Going against the usual trend of things, the Spiral anime is much better than the manga...and it's still not that good.

If you liked the anime anyway, like I did, I have to recomend against reading the manga...the anime's slight deviations from it are only to its benefit, and once the chapters the anime adapted are over, it quickly devolves into nonsense(which is why the final episodes of the anime are all original material, I guess). The author manged to come up with some outlandish but clever puzzles, but at simple plotting he's awful.

If I may ask, what volumes of the manga does the anime cover?
bleuster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
I wasn't really considering it before, since I didn't really care for Azumanga Daioh, but does anyone think it'd still be enjoyable for a non-fan of AzuDai?

I was going to mention this earlier, but I noticed a few fans that loved Azumanga (both anime & manga) didn't catch on to Yotsuba as fast as you'd think.
I know I didn't, but by the end of the volume I got a better feel of the series and already found my new favorite characters.

Azuma basically took the charm and appeal of Azumanga Daioh and brought it to Yotsuba&!.
I love both series, but Yotsuba, in both setting and characters, feel more fleshed out than the ones in Azumanga.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Yotsuba& is indeed one of the best manga I've ever read. I love Kiyohiko Azuma; AzuDai is another favorite of mine. His manga succeed with simple stories and lovable characters. I really admire the guy.

Even though it got a C, Gakuen Alice looks like something I'd like. I'll try it out.
And I still want to read Genshiken...
Lyrai

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:02 pm Reply with quote
If you think Yostuba's manga release schedule is bad, try following the Excel Saga manga. Caught up to the Japanese release, it's now six months or more between releases. Yes I'm aware that's how it's done in Japanese, but they can get their fix in the weekly/monthly magazines. We can't.

And Genshiken manages to not drop the ball in the ending? Oh thank heaven.

EDIT: Ha ha! Floating tags.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:23 am Reply with quote
I'm glad Yotsuba&!'s up there. It's one of those mangas that always cheers me up with its lightheartness. Yotsuba's so adorable, so naive, yet so true to herself.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Delirium wrote:
What about all the scanlators without whose hard work there would be no import-of-the-month reviews? No thanks for them?

Some read Japanese.
And some of us just buy them for the pretty pictures. (My teen swears she's going to learn Japanese in college so maybe someday she can read them).

I spend $20-$60 on artbooks all the time. I don't see much of a dif buying BeXBoy for the art.

I heard the Spiral manga was superior to the anime (which really just pissed me off. It was good, yeah, but Funi's ads were all "What are the Blade Children?" & we never really do learn, do we? Liars! Pick a different pitch line)

I didn't care for Yotsuba, though I can't remember if I made it thru 1 or 2 volumes. It just seemed like cute overload, sort of aimless.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Oh yay! Spiral FINALLY comes to America! *makes mental note to order it at work tomorrow* I've waited YEARS. Hurrah to no longer having to read scanlations. Now I can finally curl up with it in book format.
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I love Yotsuba&. I can't help but smile while I read it. Azuma's got a great (and weird) sense of humor. There's something about it that kinda reminds me of Schultz's Peanuts.
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:35 pm Reply with quote
ANBUx3 wrote:
I love Yotsuba&. I can't help but smile while I read it. Azuma's got a great (and weird) sense of humor. There's something about it that kinda reminds me of Schultz's Peanuts.

I can see that! I think it's the slice-of-life from a child's perspective. Maybe a little of old-school Rugrats thrown in there, too. Anime smallmouth But I agree, Yotsubato is absolutely amazing. You get the sense of beauty of life in a child's POV, but can also appreciate the humor and naivety with which she encounters the world.
madscientist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:11 am Reply with quote
I personally love Yotsuba and consider it in the spirit of Calvin and Hobbes more than Peanuts. It is so light hearted, cute, and at times hilarious, and I have had the joy of exposing several people to it who don't even read manga. They absolutely love it too!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2