• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNtv - Anime Jump Show: Galaxy Angel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Second_Ignition_Yui

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Dub clips hurt my ears. I can understand using them for the older shows (LOL AVAILABILITY) but c'mon.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Neat to see that the english dub of Princess Knight uses the original theme song [if without lyrics]. The french version uses a really cheesy theme song, though it maintains the original BG music in the dub [it's available on R1 dvd from DEP as Princess Sapphire in a thinpack boxset, but is apparently superhard to find. It's quite nice though]

Galaxy Angel is indeed much awesome..... I need to get some of those Brick's soon
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:46 pm Reply with quote
My brother and I both love Galaxy Angel for pretty much all the reasons given in Mike Toole's review - quirky characters, insane situations, Forte, and constant hillarity. I'm waiting on the complete set of AA to buy it, since I have the complete collections of the original and A (and need to get around to buying Z).

I've been reminded why I never, ever watch the GA dub, though. The Japanese cast is so much better.

Also, after looking it up on YouTube, I noticed a striking similarity between the OP for Mahou Tsukai Sally and the AI Sentai Tachikomanz song from GitS: SAC. An homage, perhaps?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:58 pm Reply with quote
O_o Remind me to never watch Galaxy Angel, or Princess Knight (okay, maybe it was just me but those dubs were kinda odd sounding, too many high pitched voices).
Leebo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Mike Toole is funny, but I still like Kanon despite agreeing with most of what he said and I still don't want to watch Galaxy Angel after hearing him talk about how much he likes it. So, yeah, I'll keep watching because it's funny, but I don't know that I'm going to actually take any purchasing advice from it.
vtnwesley

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Still can't honestly say I like Anime Jump, but at the least Mike Toole seemed considerably less annoying/jerky. I hope in the future he can keep it turned down just a notch. It's easier to listen to him that way.

Galaxy Angel looks kind of cute/funny. Maybe worth checking out.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:38 pm Reply with quote
vtnwesley wrote:
Still can't honestly say I like Anime Jump, but at the least Mike Toole seemed considerably less annoying/jerky. I hope in the future he can keep it turned down just a notch. It's easier to listen to him that way.

This is pretty close to a personal attack. You should consider re-reading our forums conduct rules.

If I were to break the rules right now, just as an example so you know what crosses the line the future, I'd say "you're far more annoying/jerky than Mike", but that would be a breach of our new conduct regulations, so I won't.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:31 am Reply with quote
plus it was in quotes, and that makes it all good.

Anyway, does the anoying screechy voice on Chappy remind anyone of the voice of the Kid in I WANNA BE THE GUY?
Someone should drop an apple on him and see if he explodes ;p
vtnwesley

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:28 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
vtnwesley wrote:

This is pretty close to a personal attack. You should consider re-reading our forums conduct rules.

If I were to break the rules right now, just as an example so you know what crosses the line the future, I'd say "you're far more annoying/jerky than Mike", but that would be a breach of our new conduct regulations, so I won't.

To clarify, his whole shtick is to be "jerky" on purpose. This is reflective of his job, a la David Letterman. He mocks anime which is fine. If within context, this is genuinely a problem, please delete my forum account now.

I am in no way saying anything disparaging of Mr. Toole as I don't know him. The bit this time is simply more tolerable. This is all I am saying. We can hopefully all understand this, and if not, I have gladly given you my suggestion for fixing the issue.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:01 pm Reply with quote
The news is fine.Mario and Ellie signing off is what comes natural,that what it looks like to me anyway.It also makes me wonder how much is ad libbed.I swear Mike Toole is the guy from long ago,that would read the Anime 18 Ero statements in the intro of each title.It's a voice that has haunted me to this day.Is Toole only reviewing Dub?I admit I got a kick out of Tezuka's old titles.Dubbed though,I've seen the some of the raws.The dubbing is hilarious.It's real campy.Keep up the coverage.
narc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, Mike Toole, for your review and mentions of all of my three early experiences in anime, Sapphire, Sally, and Kimba, from the late sixties (yes, I'm that old (^-^ ), I was also a fan of the original Speed Racer). The French versions came in Quebec only 2 or 3 years after the original releases. It was a good time for anime.

A very good show indeed. Keep up the good work.
billyarnie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:35 am Reply with quote
billyarnie wrote:
#10 Anime DVD in Japan - Ratatouille! That's an anime? Who knew?! Laughing

Congrats to Ratatouille for willing the Best Animated Feature Oscar last night! That should sell a few more anime DVD's... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I own a few disks of Galazy Angel Z and find the girls adorable, but not enough to make the show more watchable for me, I found it very boring to sit though.Clearly Mr Toole and I have very different tastes, however I very much enjoy his show regardless.

I enjoy these ANNTV segments and was glad to see Mario back.
I hate hearing about everyone getting sick, this year seems particularly bad for whatever reason for that.
Sprocket

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:07 pm Reply with quote
vtnwesley wrote:
To clarify, his whole shtick is to be "jerky" on purpose. This is reflective of his job, a la David Letterman. He mocks anime which is fine. If within context, this is genuinely a problem, please delete my forum account now.

I am in no way saying anything disparaging of Mr. Toole as I don't know him. The bit this time is simply more tolerable. This is all I am saying. We can hopefully all understand this, and if not, I have gladly given you my suggestion for fixing the issue.

Is it possible that it's only an issue because you're making it one? And maybe you're just reading into things that aren't there? And that you might be taking his light-hearted look at anime an 'insult to an art form'? Because I'm guessing you probably are, and if so, I would seriously suggest stepping back and realizing that nothing is worth that amount of anxiety. Seriously.
StickyToffeePopcorn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Mike Toole is a surprisingly tasty slice of man-pie...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3