• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Law Journal Article Supports Fansubs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grgspunk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:18 am Reply with quote
So what this guy is trying to say is, if an anime title has been licensed for release in the R1 region, fansubs can exist as long as the R1 release is only available in the edited format? Good enough for me. That'll motivate companies to quit editing anime titles, such as with Funimation and Shin-chan.

I kinda hope this will also apply to manga titles and scanlations. If it does, this can force companies like Viz Media to get their shit straight by ceasing their editing practices.

Last edited by grgspunk on Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:23 am; edited 2 times in total
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:22 am Reply with quote
grgspunk wrote:
So what this guy is trying to say is, if an anime title has been licensed for release in the R1 region, fansubs can exist as long as the R1 release is only available in the edited format? Good enough for me. That'll motivate companies to quit editing anime titles, such as with Funimation and Shin-chan.

I kinda hope this will also apply to manga titles and scanlations. If it does, this can force companies like Viz Media to get their shit straight by ceasing their editing practices.
Now I do agree on the manga point. Viz has been editing manga, and getting away with it.

On the point about Shin-chan, from what I understand most of the jokes don't translate or require knowledge of Japanese culture. While I don't agree with what they are doing, that's all they can do to make the show profitable. Funi could and should release the Original Japanese version of the show in the future.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:22 am Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
Even if there were just an edited version of an anime availible, it's illegal for anyone who doesn't own the rights to put the show up for download/stream. In these days, most companies do unedited versions, so this is a non issue. Doing what the author proposed is still robbing the Japanese license holders of money, whether an unedited version is availible or not.

But that's just what he's saying: Something that's illegal can be made legal. What he proposes is utterly unrealistic...but and not likely to ever be implemented, but from a purely judicial point of view, it makes sense.

If there is anyone who would be robbed under what he is proposing, it's American companies that would be required to produce both edited and unedited versions of any anime (or foreign movie in general).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
wilson_x1999

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:23 am Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
I wonder if the writer even buys DVDs...

He actually got all his Law books from torrents Rolling Eyes

which is something that I'd do if I was still in college.
grgspunk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
On the point about Shin-chan, from what I understand most of the jokes don't translate or require knowledge of Japanese culture. While I don't agree with what they are doing, that's all they can do to make the show profitable.

Edits are still edits either way. Besides, that's kinda the reasoning that all localization companies use when they edit their titles...

If they have to make edits on TV, then I can agree then they'd better damn well produce an uncut DVD version. Otherwise, they should just find another series that actually does appeal to a western audience without the need for making edits.
Kireek

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:38 am Reply with quote
How to open a can of worms
james039

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:39 am Reply with quote
Here's a concept, why not treat heavily edited anime in North America as a different product? That way, the law would treat a fansubbed or unedited release by another group as though the property simply hadn't been licensed by anyone. That way, you don't legalize the infringement, but it prevents an entity like 4Kids from suing a fansub group, since the show 4Kids produced is legally treated as a 'different' property.
mechayakuza

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:39 am Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:

Daimao Raki wrote:
I doubt the writer of the article actually has a clue to what's going on concerning fansubs.

I love how people just say anything when they don't know what they're talking about. I know Josh (he's originally from Miami) and heard him talk about his desire to write this paper years ago when he went off to law school. Here's something you two might find shocking, but yes, he is an anime fan, knows about fansubs, and actually buys anime DVDs. But I guess facts shouldn't get in the way of uninformed internets commentary, right?
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:41 am Reply with quote
So that new ruling would affect Shaman King, Yu-Gi-Oh, Blue Dragon, and..................and................. Neutral

(remember, you can't say OP or Cardcaptor Sakura anymore, thanks to Funi and Geneon)

Seriously, edited anime makes up such a tiny portion of the DVD market, it's barely worth mentioning nowadays. Now if it were manga, that'd be a little more understandable since edits are more frequent (though sometimes still blown out of proportion by fans, good grief, Viz edited ONE scene from the entirety of the FMA manga , that's hardly anything to stop the presses about), but anime? Maybe the guy who wrote the article belongs to that odd group of people who assume if it's edited for TV then it must be edited for DVD. One time, I literally had to shove a Naruto boxset in front of one guy's face before he could figure out that the DVDs were unedited. What a noob.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:43 am Reply with quote
While I appreciate the sentiment of this otaku-who-got-into-law-school, he's missing one gigantic piece of the puzzle: the changes to hack-n-slash dubs are AUTHORIZED BY THE LICENSOR. ALWAYS. The licensor represents the program's producer and is, in the eyes of the law, its creator. Never mind opening up a loophole in copyright protection for vigilante protection of work in no danger of being "lost to time" is something any court would strike down immediately. This whole thing reads like the sort of thing a college student, high on his new teachings, writes with great passion but nary a clue as to how ridiculous their ideas are in the real world.

I'm kind of incredulous that this got published (though I don't know the criteria of this law journal), and that some people on this board are taking it seriously.

Last edited by jsevakis on Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Whatocean

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:43 am Reply with quote
What this idiot law student is lobbying for is the downfall of the anime industry.

What him and many others don't realize is that a fansub is animated property distributed for free. That is no money is going back to the creator. If he would realize that fact, or even took a freaking economics class, he'd see that if the creators don't get paid, they'll be less inclined to create more anime for us!

This person is either selfish, naive, or both.
So mainstream anime that comes out is heavily edited.
Boo-hoo.
If you're a true fan, you'd get off your lazy ass and learn Japanese like I did.
If you're so disenchanted by the American editing job, buy it from Japan in its raw form.

But don't go stealing these people's honest work! They don't get paid enough as it is!
omoikane

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:47 am Reply with quote
Just gone through the article.

(Must be fun spading this with the rest of his law review LOL...)

It's a decent paper aimed to educate non-fans in a very narrow niche of copyright law alongside with a curiosity in the growing number of wrinkles as copyright law applies to the broad spectrum of real life problems. As academic papers go, it does an okay job to present a selection of sources for further examination.

It's quite... ham... when it comes to explaining some of the more obvious things, as it tries to cover ground behind the advantage of VARA from a commercial perspective, and the motivation for such mutilation in the first place. Not enough study on the Japanese side of the industry for my liking, anyways. I suppose that's at least a sensible critique instead of complaining about his airing of fanboyism, perhaps unprofessionally for a publication of this kind.

He cites to Litman's old article, but he could've just cited her book...

Thanks for the news item.
grgspunk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:47 am Reply with quote
Whatocean wrote:
This person is either selfish, naive, or both.
So mainstream anime that comes out is heavily edited.
Boo-hoo.
If you're a true fan, you'd get off your lazy ass and learn Japanese like I did.
If you're so disenchanted by the American editing job, buy it from Japan in its raw form.

Very practical there. I'm pretty sure everyone has the time and money to learn the Japanese language (featuring a staggering collection of 3000+ kanji characters) and importing raws with expensive shipping costs. Rolling Eyes

A true anime fan would want everyone to be able to view anime in its original form without such major obstacles, moron. Besides, 4kids is dead and a lot of titles are already released here unedited: You think getting the companies to release the few unlucky titles in its original form would kill the industry?

Last edited by grgspunk on Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Rawshark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:54 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
While I appreciate the sentiment of this otaku-who-got-into-law-school, he's missing one gigantic piece of the puzzle: the changes to hack-n-slash dubs are AUTHORIZED BY THE LICENSOR. ALWAYS. The licensor represents the program's producer and is, in the eyes of the law, its creator. Never mind opening up a loophole in copyright protection for vigilante protection of work in no danger of being "lost to time" is something any court would strike down immediately. This whole thing reads like the sort of thing a college student, high on his new teachings, writes with great passion but nary a clue as to how ridiculous their ideas are in the real world.

I'm kind of incredulous that this got published (though I don't know the criteria of this law journal), and that some people on this board are taking it seriously.

Is this story really newsworthy? I know anime fans like to latch onto anything that legitimizes their hobby, including fansubbers, in the eyes of mainstream and academia, but this is kind of pathetic.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:54 am Reply with quote
mechayakuza wrote:
Asrialys wrote:

Daimao Raki wrote:
I doubt the writer of the article actually has a clue to what's going on concerning fansubs.

I love how people just say anything when they don't know what they're talking about. I know Josh (he's originally from Miami) and heard him talk about his desire to write this paper years ago when he went off to law school. Here's something you two might find shocking, but yes, he is an anime fan, knows about fansubs, and actually buys anime DVDs. But I guess facts shouldn't get in the way of uninformed internets commentary, right?
Well that's a nice piece of info. Maybe the author can come here and explain his ideas a little more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7