• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Michiko and Hatchin (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:27 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
FYI: the "to" in Michiko to Hatchin is the Japanese conjunction equivalent of "and" in English. It is pronounced similar to (but not the same as) "toe," not like "two" in the English conjunction of "to."

Yes, I realize that. I was assuming that people would realize that "to" means "and" in Japanese (though perhaps that isn't really the best assumption, though I do figure that people pick up at least a little Japanese, unless they only watch things dubbed).
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Judging from comments I've read, I was expecting some near-twenty minute dose of sadism by Hatchin's foster family, but was surprised when it's actually only about ten. That relief, along with the interesting direction and the cuts with Michiko's journey, kept me going and gave episode two a shot.

And yeah, episode two definitely delivers. Gives out plenty of action, bit of sexiness, plot teases and surprising emotional moments to really excite me.

Definitely looking forward to more.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:14 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
v1cious wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
My thoughts: If this show gets licensed, I wonder how many people will complain if it gets released as "Michiko and Hatchin" instead of "Michiko to Hatchin" like the fansub filenames I'm seeing. I can hear it now, "omg I can't believe they changed the title those American companies are always butchering anime" Rolling Eyes

huh? that is the official name, unless you're saying they will change it to be more palatable in America? Confused

Zalis is saying that even if the license uses the actual translation of the title people will complain about it being "and" instead of "to," even if the former actually makes more sense.

"Michiko & Hatchin" -- problem solved. Laughing

I agree with those who say that Ep 1 was overdone and, perhaps, disappointing. But after seeing 2 and 3, those ones pretty much nailed the spirit of the series ... epic gunfights, epic chase scenes, South American sex appeal, and omg this soundtrack is so bought as soon as it comes out.
Agoston

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Watched up to 3, I like it so far, but we desperately need backstory on the characters. Also, about the tattoo.. Does anyone remember how in episode 1 the stepsister (her name was Maria, I think) spoiler[ lifted up Hana's skirt for a second and I'm pretty sure there wasn't a tattoo there.. I could be wrong, but.. ] oh and I didn't understand the ending of episode 3, spoiler[ so the guy standing in the doorway wasn't who they were looking for, right? Or did Michiko just get mad because he was with another woman? Kinda confusing. ]
Baked Ninja

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:39 pm Reply with quote
It has a Cowboy Bebop "feel" to it. The music, the flamboyancy of it. I think it's pretty good so far
spooksmagee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Agoston wrote:
Watched up to 3, I like it so far, but we desperately need backstory on the characters. Also, about the tattoo.. Does anyone remember how in episode 1 the stepsister (her name was Maria, I think) spoiler[ lifted up Hana's skirt for a second and I'm pretty sure there wasn't a tattoo there.. I could be wrong, but.. ] oh and I didn't understand the ending of episode 3, spoiler[ so the guy standing in the doorway wasn't who they were looking for, right? Or did Michiko just get mad because he was with another woman? Kinda confusing. ]

spoiler[ The shot was of her backside when her dress was lifted, hence why you couldn't see the tatoo. As far as the end of episode 3 with her "father," I was a little confused too. I think it was just a case of mistaken identity...although he did resemble Hatchin a bit. I guess we'll have to wait and see... ]
dngrx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I've enjoyed the start this show had, but after seeing episode 6, it still hasn't gotten to anywhere meaningful. The story has pulled a handbrake and it's doing doughnuts. And was it just me....but the animation quality during the spoiler[bullfight] was kinda budget.
kornpone

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:38 am Reply with quote
The broadcast is delayed here in Kansai so we're only up as far as the bullfight this week, but man, this is fun stuff.

Sure it's all grit, grime, lipstick, and gunpowder, but man it's well put-together: the low-life hasn't looked this stylish in a while. Mind you, from a North American perspective the setting might not seem all that far off, but from Japan the whole thing has a horribly irresistible exoticism about it that makes the series a real standout.

Beyond a doubt one of the best things was their getting film and tv actress Maki Yoko to sign on as Michiko: not only is she usually not at all associated with anime, but she has a knockout figure and edgy personality that closely resemble the character as well. (Not perfectly, mind you-- Maki Yoko can put on an innocent-doe-eyes look that'll melt the heart of any man with a pulse, while even Michiko's soft side doesn't seem quite that vulnerable.)

I also like how the story, characters, and relationships are taking their time to develop: goodness knows, this ain't James Bond!
HellKorn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Don't really have much to add, other than I'm really enjoying the series so far. My favorite scene so far has to be the opening to episode seven: spoiler[everything is built around body language with Michiko and Bruno's teasing. You don't get that kind of subdued direction in anime often at all, so it's very nice to see it when it rarely occurs.]

dngrx wrote:
I've enjoyed the start this show had, but after seeing episode 6, it still hasn't gotten to anywhere meaningful. The story has pulled a handbrake and it's doing doughnuts.

Are you one of those people who think that having a plot actually makes a good story?
dngrx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:19 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Are you one of those people who think that having a plot actually makes a good story?

Kinda, but I enjoy episodic shows especially those pumped out of manglobe who have produced my favs.

My expectations were different, I expected more gun-token and name taking ala Revy style by now....Especially since ep 6 spoiler[gave a little glimpse into the shady, gangster past] of Michiko.

No doubt it's a fun show, I am enjoying tis beaut. And it's the only show I've found worth following this year, I just want more though....I'm greedy, I know.

Anyways, I agree with you about that particular scene. The ending made me laugh.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:48 pm Reply with quote
dngrx wrote:
My expectations were different, I expected more gun-token and name taking ala Revy style by now....Especially since ep 6 spoiler[gave a little glimpse into the shady, gangster past] of Michiko.

I could see that impression being taken away by the first couple episodes, though I feel that episode three makes it quite apparent that plot is taking a backseat to examinations of more menial ventures (which more anime should do, frankly... Well, anime I'd watch, at least).

Though I do like how it's more seamless in its progression so far than, say, Bebop or Champloo (two shows that this will inevitably be compared to). There's not a sense of reset after every episode, even if the environment and side character are different.
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I like the pretty art and music Smile

Err Anyway.... This looks pretty good, how many episodes is it? I think there's about 8 out. The Op and Ed are quite catchy aswell, and I too am getting a Cowboy Bebop feel, but I don't think in a bad way...
kornpone

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:36 am Reply with quote
Ep 7-- yeeow. Incredible.

(That's as far as the broadcast is getting this year in Kansai -- ep 8 will air in January.)

You could fit a solid short story or novelette into this episode: the river boats, mangroves, long cigs, longer looks, and even a wonderful acoustic guitar riff right at the end. The atmosphere around the misbehaving adults is so thick that Hatchin seems to move more quickly when she's under water in the river! And the sticky, heavy air makes absolutely everything droop --except, of course, Michiko's ever-perky bosom Wink

I would've happily settled for more jokes and mindless action but wow --I wasn't expecting a smashingly good epic on love, lies, and loss.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Well, I finally picked this up given that Kurozuka and ef are ending soon, and ripped through the first nine episodes, and being the lazy arse that I am I'm going to copy my reactions from [b]What are you watching right now? why?

I wrote:
I have picked up Michiko to Hatchin. What really sealed the deal, apart from the artwork, is that Watanabe is doing the music, and this time with some South American flair. So far, I am loving it. I love the deliberate vagueness of the character backstories, and I am a HUGE sucker for the omnipresent "is he alive or isn't he?" character, which is exactly what Hiroshi is turning out to be. I have a feeling that the answer to that question comes somewhere near the end of the series. Plus, Michiko is amazing, and Hatchin is not nearly as annoying as I first supposed.

I don't see the Bebop comparisons so much. If anything, it's like Samurai Champloo. You can definitely feel the Champloo vibe here; the episodic-ness is tied together by a common plot thread, vague backgrounds, tons of action and over-the-top characters, and fun mixed with more serious overtones. It's grittier than Bebop, the way Champloo was. It's brilliant--just my cup of tea.

I agree with kornpone about episode 7, the affair was intense and complicated for more than one person...spoiler[ the scene where the hairdresser sees her husband's cigar on the table right in front of Michiko made me shiver.] I hate it when women get mad at other women when their husband's cheat. It's their husband's fault. On the other hand, the jealousy is totally understandable.

I like that all of the backstory isn't there yet, but I expect that once we meet Satoshi things will get even more interesting. There seems to be some bad feelings there.

Also...who the heck is Hatchin's mom??? Laughing
wizardz199

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I love this anime with a passion!

My girlfriend introduced me to this anime and she got me hooked. Actually, Michiko is one of the hottest anime females I have ever seen before. My girlfriend is even willing to admit that!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8