• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mobile Suit Gundam 00 - Sci-Fi broadcast (w/index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Don't let this show form your opinion on Gundam. Just think of it as a better attempt at Gundam Wing. Real Gundam only incorporates most of the the Universal Century, Future Century, or Common Era.

If you want a taste for what Gundam really is, watch Zeta Gundam or the OVAs produced in the 90's.

Lol, Gundam snobbery. Rolling Eyes

Anyways, 00 was a fairly good Gundam series with some really neat elements to it, definitely worth the watching. It sort of drags a bit early on though, it really hits its stride at about the halfway point where things start getting weird.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:23 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
There's a link to the trailer in the opening post.

Soooo... we're bashing the dub work on a series with a presumably rather large cast, that runs for 25 episodes... on the basis of a five-minute trailer?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:43 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
There's a link to the trailer in the opening post.

Soooo... we're bashing the dub work on a series with a presumably rather large cast, that runs for 25 episodes... on the basis of a five-minute trailer?

When the voices are as unforgivably painful to listen to as they are in that trailer, yes, yes we are. Those weren't just some minor characters in the trailer. Unless the actual episodes are a huge step up, performance wise, there's really no defending it. It's almost like something 4Kids would pump out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
naeblis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm not arguing with you Penguin, however, what exactly do you look for when you're trying to judge the quality of a dub? I think Setsuna and Lock-on's voices were alright. Other than Graham's voice, everyone else seemed decent.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:53 pm Reply with quote
naeblis wrote:
I'm not arguing with you Penguin, however, what exactly do you look for when you're trying to judge the quality of a dub?

Voices that don't cripple my central nervous system upon hearing them, for one. Another might be voices that at least sound the age of the characters they're playing, where appropriate. It might also help to not sound like you've phoned in the lines while half asleep on a weekend through a phone with a bad connection and covered in cheese cloth.

But hey, my standards are ridiculously high. I mean, as long as they're speaking English, that's cool, right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
naeblis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Ahh. I watched the trailer again.. and yea, I agree with the age of the character's thing. Graham sounds like he's not much older than Setsuna is supposed to be.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget BellosTheMighty, trailers exist to lure people into watching (and by association, paying) for the product. It is like an ad, supposedly playing up the strengths and downplaying the weaknesses.

So when the parts of the dub featured in the trailer are that bad, I immediately wonder (with much panic); if those were the good parts, what must the rest be like? I shudder to think. And the casting, oh the casting. I won't even try to begin on that one; too painful.

Also, the trailer itself is awful; they chose to open with Patrick? Um, why? The scenes they chose weren't the best, like spoiler[Setsuna chopping the clouds.] That made me cringe to my bones.

If I was a "Gundam-virgin" watching this trailer, I wouldn't bother to buy even the first volume. Like I said; the show already has enough problems as it is, then they do this.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:34 am Reply with quote
I've never seen the show, and nothing at all about the voices in that trailer actively turned me off. (You can drop the "lol 4Kids" straight up, because we're not even in the same time zone here.) If there's one thing I've learned from watching quite a lot of dubs, it's that taking random lines out of context is a poor way to get a handle on how characters actually sound when speaking whole series of lines in the midst of a scene. Nothing about this trailer suggests to me that it's any different.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:13 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Ahahahahahahahaha. That's funny. Actually, Gundam Wing gets trashed pretty badly among hardcore Gundam fans. Hardcore U.C. fans tend to hate anything that doesn't take place in the U.C., but Gundam Wing gets the brunt of it.[/u]

That's because the hardcore fans are bitter that Wing and G Gundam were runaway hits that got repeat airings while most of the UC stuff was either cancelled or reduced to horrible time slots. Even SD Gundam Force had better treatment. Laughing

As for the dub via the trailer, doesn't sound a whole lot different in quality from the Seed dub, it even features much of the same cast members. The only acting that truly struck me as being questionable was Patrick, which I think had more to do with the voice directing than acting, and Graham which was coming from an old school vet like Paul Dobson so I'm not all that worried about the dub. Otherwise the acting seemed age and character appropriate (I've seen the first five or so episodes fansubed).

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:19 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Don't forget BellosTheMighty, trailers exist to lure people into watching (and by association, paying) for the product. It is like an ad, supposedly playing up the strengths and downplaying the weaknesses.

So when the parts of the dub featured in the trailer are that bad, I immediately wonder (with much panic); if those were the good parts, what must the rest be like? I shudder to think. And the casting, oh the casting. I won't even try to begin on that one; too painful.

Also, the trailer itself is awful; they chose to open with Patrick? Um, why? The scenes they chose weren't the best, like spoiler[Setsuna chopping the clouds.] That made me cringe to my bones.

You do note the inherent contradiction in that, don't you? I italicized it for you, if you missed it.

And anyway, you could just as easily argue that the trailer is lackluster because they're not paying their marketing department enough, instead keeping the budget for the actual dubbing.

Besides that, 12.5 hours vs. 5 minutes, that's a pretty poor sampling. I've seen a lot of shows where it can take a full episode or two for the actors to get the characters down enough that they sound good.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:40 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
I've seen a lot of shows where it can take a full episode or two for the actors to get the characters down enough that they sound good.

I shouldn't have to wait for the actors to start doing their jobs the right way. There are plenty of dubs in which the roles are nailed immediatly.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:52 pm Reply with quote
And there are some where they aren't. That's the nature of acting. Some actors are able to throw themselves headlong into a completely-new role and nail it from the beginning; others need time to get acquainted with their character and his/her personality. I'm sure the initial rehearsal of any Broadway musical or initial movie scene is a substantial distance away from what the final product is like. And as I understand it, anime dubbing doesn't have the luxury of extended rehearsal time that those two forms of media provide; the dub actors get the script and get in the booth without a whole lot of lead time, so they have to find their way as they go.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:55 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
You do note the inherent contradiction in that, don't you? I italicized it for you, if you missed it.

No I don't see a contradiction, because there is no contradiction.

When I was talking about the good and bad parts, I was referring to the dub. It follows on from what I was saying, that the trailer should have glossed over weak dub performances by highlighting the stronger ones. And since I'm assuming that's what they did (because whoever made the trailer is a - ahem - professional), then I've got to wonder what the weak performances are like.

When I was talking about the scenes that were chosen, I was just referring to the Anime itself, without regard to the dub or sub. The chosen scenes were not the best they could have used, and whoever chose them at the very least had the wrong idea about the target audience.

And no, I don't see the possible contradiction in what I wrote, when assuming in the "dub paragraph" that the trailer was playing up the good parts of the dub, and then saying in the "scene paragraph" that the trailer screwed up with its choice of scenes. That's because I haven't heard all of the dub, but I have seen all of the scenes. It is possible for the trailer to do its best in portraying the dub, while the trailer itself stumbles over which scenes to use.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
And there are some where they aren't. That's the nature of acting. Some actors are able to throw themselves headlong into a completely-new role and nail it from the beginning; others need time to get acquainted with their character and his/her personality. I'm sure the initial rehearsal of any Broadway musical or initial movie scene is a substantial distance away from what the final product is like. And as I understand it, anime dubbing doesn't have the luxury of extended rehearsal time that those two forms of media provide; the dub actors get the script and get in the booth without a whole lot of lead time, so they have to find their way as they go.

It's not my problem if they're having trouble adjusting to their roles. That's what re-takes are for. If Bandai thinks it can just rush out a product with an inferior dub, hoping that the viewers will sympathize with on the job training, fine, but I think criticizing the poor results is perfectly reasonable.

Regardless, I do hope I'm wrong, and the dub is actually better than the trailer would have me believe. It would have to be substantially better, though. I'm not rooting for it to be bad, I'm a fan of the program and of the dub studio. I'm just being realistic.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I've been a fan of Gundam since I was just a kid and I still like it. I haven't gotten a chance to watch this one yet but I've heard it's good so I'm looking forward to it. (Although it's going to be hard to beat War in a Pocket.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 20