• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Revenge of the Special Edition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyjin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Wow, the .hack//SIGN set brings back memories. That was released when I really started to get into anime, but I was in middle/high school and couldn't afford the limited edition sets, so I always picked up the single dvds when I could. Only limited edition I specifically got for .hack was the final dvd in the series with the extra bonus episodes.

The only limited edition anime that I specifically made sure to buy were the Code Geass sets released a couple years ago. The first two dvds of Season 1 came with a gorgeous collector's box (look it up online, it's nice), a soundtrack, drama cd, and manga. The rest of the limited releases came with soundtracks, drama cds, and manga or novels. Since it's my favorite anime, I wanted to have it all. Very Happy

I think video games had the best incentives for limited releases or preorder bonuses. I pre-ordered Chaos Legion just to get a pocket watch with the main character, and Xenosaga Episode I for a tshirt. Atlus tends to do releases with soundtracks as well, which are always nice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
InnocentSorrow59

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I actually re-watch FMA, in fact not just rewatch but re-read the manga as well. Not to mention old episodes of One Piece, and BASARA at times as well. (Which I'm also planning on pre-ordering the combo pack for because of the calendar it comes with...)

I hope DVDs never go away. I know I can probably just download a whole series, which a lot of friends tell me to do when I complain about not having enough money for a series, but I don't want to! I want to own a box set! Even if it's not a Limited Edition that comes with figures or posters.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm 100% total physical media until I die. I have hundreds of anime DVD's and I hope to say in a few years' time that I have hundreds of anime Blu-Rays (in terms of SKU's, I only have 9 so far, Ponyo, Summer Wars, two copies of the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya movie, one Japanese and one domestic, the Baka and Test box set, and, most importantly, the four K-On! singles). It is true that there are some shows I haven't yet revisited, but I like having them anyways, I like their shelf presence and I like that I can revisit them anytime I want to without an internet connection.

The shows I revisit the most these days are slice-of-life comedies where you can pretty much just put in any episode out-of-sequence and enjoy because there isn't some huge overarching plot in the background, mainly Strawberry Marshmallow, K-On!, Azumanga Daioh, Kamichu!, and Lucky Star. I would desperately love to add Minami-ke to that physical media slice-of-life mix if only one of the remaining licensors would add it. I also rewatch 1980's comedies like Urusei Yatsura, Ranma ½ (mostly the first season, so that counts as 1980's), and Project A-ko, and, from the 1990's, I rewatch my favourite out-of-sequence episodes of Sailor Moon, Pretty Sammy TV/Magical Project S, and Cardcaptor Sakura.

Many of the shows I have I technically already revisited when I bought them as I first saw them fansubbed, mostly in the VHS fansub days, back when there was more of a "gentlemen's agreement" that you'd buy the shows you enjoyed fansubbed if and when they got licensed.

On an unrelated note, despite Netflix, video-on-demand, Internet television, I still think some sort of linear cable will be around for decades, for those of us who enjoy channel surfing, who like the "order" the traditional television schedule gives to their evenings, or who just like having noise in the background as they use the Internet.

Last edited by Tenchi on Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I loved the extras for the Gurren Lagann LEs! With LEs clearly on the way out, I knew I had to go all out for at least one show, and having seen GL in fansubs, I knew that was the show I wanted to do it for! I really loved the show and knew I was gonna buy it on DVD anyway, right? Might as well go all the way!
Set 1 came with the awesome artbox where it opens from Gurren's mouth and it's all flame design on the inside, and a little plastic core drill with a little green LED light in it so you can light it up.
Set 2 came with a drawstring backpack. It's actually of very nice quality, I use it every convention personally.
Set 3 came with a soundtrack and the first volume of the manga. Although I'm big on manga, I loved the show too much to be instantly sold on the manga, and though I still wasn't with the bundled volume 1, it was an enjoyable read. Who knows, I might've picked up the series someday if it ever finished publishing, but of course now it never will.

I feel like all of the other artboxes I have series for were really just artbox+vol 1, so nothing as impressive as Gurren Lagann was for me.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Kyjin wrote:

The only limited edition anime that I specifically made sure to buy were the Code Geass sets released a couple years ago. The first two dvds of Season 1 came with a gorgeous collector's box (look it up online, it's nice), a soundtrack, drama cd, and manga. The rest of the limited releases came with soundtracks, drama cds, and manga or novels. Since it's my favorite anime, I wanted to have it all. Very Happy

I got suckered into the Code Geass CEs :p I was waiting for the Anime Legends sets to come out, but one day I was at my local Best Buy and saw that the vol 1 CE was $10.... With all the goodies inside I couldn't say no!! Luckily I held off in buying any of the manga then too, so an extra bonus! A great decision I made, the box IS beautiful! And I eventually did get the CEs for all the other volumes in the series. Although, I was pretty disappointed with how the R2 CEs were made... I like the slip cover and all, but when I rearrange my collection, I want all the mangas to be together. I don't want the slip covers to get squashed, but I guess I can just fit an empty DVD case in there, to replace the manga volumes.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
One of their most infamous releases was the 2004 Zeta Gundam box set. This massive release contained the entire series in a ten-disc set, plus a set of figurines that doubled as pencil sharpeners. The retail price for this monster was $199.99, which means that most fans paid at least $130 to get a DVD set that turned out to be dubtitled and missing the opening and ending theme songs thanks to rights issues. It's a tough situation, but Bandai sowed an awful lot of ill will by holding back on letting fans know about this issue until literally days before the release.

Not to mention its horrible Blue Water English dub. Man, that release was kind of a mess. At least it came with a cool booklet with character and mecha profiles.

I have all four limited editions of the first season of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. The funny thing is, the "broadcast order" discs have sort of lost their cachet over time, and the only extras I was interested in were the CDs. There's no way I'm using those pillowcases.

I actually have the Eye of Vogler set of Giant Robo, but the jewel cases cracked so I keep the discs in plastic CD protectors in a drawer. I don't have any room for the Eye, anyway. Same for the Haruhi box.

I think the best special edition thing I got was the FMA movie, Conqueror of Shamballa, with its built-in booklet with several pages of interviews.

I guess the DBZ Dragon Boxes can be considered "special editions", but they didn't come with any extras like the two Japanese sets did.

Last edited by penguintruth on Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
staab99

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Man this was such a wonderful article!

as for my favorite it probably was the first GTO boxset that Tokyopop released. It came with the first 5 dvds along with a free t shirt. I wore that t shirt for several years before it finally had a major hole in it to be thrown away. Recently I picked up B Geta H Kei LE with the mousepad from Rightstuf.

I remember going back to bestbuy and seeing those starter kits for about 25-30 bucks, those were the days! lol Razz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I guess I must be a mutant among anime fans, because if I love a show I buy it, so I can watch it over and over again. Same with video games and books I just don't understand how people can read/watch/play something they say they love only once. Well I suppose it's people like me who are helping keep the anime DVD market afloat.

I liked the article, one thing that I have missed in the area of cheep box set releases is all the cool and crazy extras that used to came in box sets. I am glad that some companies are starting to include little extras in their releases again, I for one don't mind pay a little extra for them (and yes I am eagerly awaiting the my Fate/Zero box set!).
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
050795 wrote:
I guess I must be a mutant among anime fans, because if I love a show I buy it, so I can watch it over and over again.

I rewatch my collection over and over again, too. Every year I go through almost the whole thing. Sometimes there are shows I leave out until the next cycle. I get plenty out of my discs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:20 pm Reply with quote
my personal favorite?? That would have to be hare plus guu with the collectors wig "god that still cracks me up", gurren lagann with the light up drill and my all time favorite pani poni dash art box with all of the dvd's... heh such good times. I miss collectors editions like this with cd's, art books and little bits of swag but times change. I do re-watch mos of the shows I buy at least once if not twice year depending on the show. Azumanga daioh, Evangelion, When they Cry, Gad Guard are all ones I will always re-watch like re-run of married with children or scrubs

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:20 pm Reply with quote
One of the reasons that I tended to avoid premium editions is that the special content rarely interested me. Shirts? Keychains?!? Even soundtracks. None of them are alluring. What does appeal to me is background information and additional animated content. Part of why I love the new Revolutionary Girl Utena sets is the books full of information about the development and content of the series. I love things like these and wish that more were offered. Further, the reason that I ordered the limited edition of Princess Jellyfish is the animated shorts that will be included with it. Tchochkes are of little interest to me, but added content and information is very appealing.

penguintruth wrote:
050795 wrote:
I guess I must be a mutant among anime fans, because if I love a show I buy it, so I can watch it over and over again.

I rewatch my collection over and over again, too. Every year I go through almost the whole thing. Sometimes there are shows I leave out until the next cycle. I get plenty out of my discs.

That's my strategy as well. I have the good fortune(?) to tend to forget a significant degree of detail about things that I've seen, so I can usually enjoy watching them over again after some time has passed. In those cases wherein I don't, it's usually something that I really like and can enjoy repeatedly (e.g. Galaxy Express 999

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mgosdin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Since I was in heavily involved in the expansion of the Internet in the late 1990's & early 2000's, I did have access to equipment good enough and connections fast enough to do the very early streaming. My sons took more advantage of that than I did.

We did buy the collector's Raxephon in the day and that sad t-shirt that my oldest boy wanted, but which only held up to a few uses. Oddly I was able to buy a newer one of the t-shirts recently that was of much higher quality than the original.

Now that I have the time and inclination I have bought collector's editions for myself - Oreimo for one. And yes, I do rewatch what I buy.

Mark Gosdin
reibainokami

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Despite my expensive taste in anime Very Happy , I was never one to go for the SEs. Mostly because I've often had trouble even finding anime in my area, and when I do the price usually shows a mark up; mostly due to having only have one big box electronics store (Best Buy) and one major bookseller (Barnes & Noble). And neither offer the anime/manga discounts I used to get at Borders. Sad

One thing that I noticed that wasn't mentioned in Mike's article was about the sudden growth of Blu-Ray collections. I'll take a $49 double-layer blu-ray with an entire series and its OVAs, etc over a group of DVDs anyday! Makes me more likely to rewatch a series, too.

And yes, I do shell out $8 a month for Hulu to watch new stuff and to try out series I might have missed. No point in spending cash or expending effort for something I won't watch.

A few series I revisit:

Evangelion
Eden of the East
Angel Beats!
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of rewatching shows, the only time I may not, is for blind buys. Still, I usually end up getting attached to those and keeping them as well. I LOVE rewatching stuff for two reasons: to experience the amazing piece of art again, and to remember what happened. I now watch so much media, that I'm rather forgetful with what happened on even some of my favorite shows! I like sitting there going "oh yeahhhh I forgot this or that happened!"

I wonder if nowadays, the "watch a show once" situation is for the younger crowd? As tech rapidly evolves, I believe our lives do too, and many people only seem to get gratification out of watching something ONCE and then moving on. I have met a person who has told me "why rewatch something? I watched it once and still remember it, why do I need to watch it again?" To me its an oddity, because everyone I know who watch any sort of media WILL watch their favorite movies over and over. Maybe not in a short time span, but eventually.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Really nice article, Mike. I do have artboxes, but only a few "special editions". I do have the Eye of Volger (bought it for $20 from the MB booth at my first Otakon), and luckily the jewel cases are still intact. I do have all of VOTOMS plus to ammo tin, but I bought the ammo tin seperately from TRSI, so I don't have that extra disc and booklet... I am now slightly disappionted. Then there's that weird-as-hell Speed Grapher artbox, plus the "house" that Ghost Slayer Ayashi got.

Emerje wrote:
Another favorite is the copy of Bastard!! that comes with the Dark Schneider - D. S. Jugulator Ver. figure. It's a great figure from 2001 even by today's standards (but then Japan has always been ahead in sculpting).

Funny thing with me is that I have both the OVA and the figure... But I never even knew that there was a special edition for Bastard!! until, literally, yesterday. I bought the OVA back in 2004 at my local Best Buy for $29.99 (and it was worth every penny!), and then a year or two later I bought the Jugulator figure online. Great OVA, great figure, and I would easily buy the OVA again if it was given a re-relase, especially if there was some sort of upgrade to it, like improved video... But considering that we got essentially the same thing Japan got, except with an English dub, I doubt much more could be done to it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8