• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Made To Hit In America

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animerican14

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:44 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
varmintx wrote:
Blind-buying the $225 Madoka LEs might seem like complete insanity

For 12 episodes? Yes that is insanity. And this is coming from someone who really enjoyed Madoka, but honestlyly do the math. You're paying $18.75 an episode. For one episode. Back in the day you could get 4 or 5 for a little more than that. I understand people like their LE sets, but honestly there is nothing anyone could tell me that would justify that price for so few episodes.

As for me, I'm a frugal being. The only thing I've ever paid more than I should for was the $50 I paid for 5cm per seconds right after ADV pulled it off the shelves. I can't say it wasn't worth it though.

Well, the $225 covers the Limited Special Edition, which DOES give you more than just the episodes. The first $75 set will get you:

~A Collector's Box (even though it wont be chipboard, it's still sorta "special"...)
~Both a Blu-Ray disc and DVD version of the episodes
~Soundtrack CD #1
~A 24 page booklet featuring aoki ume 4koma and character designs (including Gekidan Inu Curry art)
∗ Double-sided poster
∗ Kyubey sticker
∗ Postcards featuring the title cards shown at the end of each episode

The latter two special editions should follow the exact same format, but of course with different OSTs, different booklets, different postcards, etcetera. So no, people aren't forking over $225 total just for the episodes by themselves; they're paying for largely otaku-minded extras as well.

If you really want to look at buying the show in a dollar-amount-per-episode way, look at the standard edition pricing: it's about $10/episode for the $40 BDs, and about $7.50/episode for the $30 DVDs. Considering that not every venue I'd like to play this show will have a BD player, I consider the BD/DVD Limited Edition combo a fine enough deal (even though that yes, this will still pain my wallet some).

Last edited by Animerican14 on Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:51 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
RogueJedi86 wrote:
Surprised the Answer on "Western cartoons in Japan" didn't mention "Avatar: The Last Airbender". Given how anime-styled it is, I'd love to hear how it did in Japan if it's aired there(or even the internet reception if it hasn't aired on tv there). It feels anime enough that Japan could dig it, and it doesn't have any odd cultural puns that would kill a show like Family Guy in translation.

Bombed hard, didn't even finish it's run. Cancelled mid season 2.

Pretty much all the Japanese communities I go to online don't even know about it.. the few people I've ever seen that do (like.. maybe one person) didn't like it, and said they didn't see how it was supposed to be 'Japanese/anime-y' when I told them it was "An American cartoon trying to be like anime" as an off-mention when they asked how big anime was in America. So take that as you will.

So I've come across different kind of Japanese. Those who haven't heard were not interested in animation at all and those who were into it were quite interested. Surprisingly, nobody seen it as a rip-off since blending styles overboard is a long tradition of animation. I suppose that both groups are too small to have a proper judge.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Brian wrote:
So, I mean, head on over to Amazon or your video game console or iTunes, whichever you prefer, if you're still keen on downloading some "legit" anime episodes. Because the way the tides are a-turnin', I don't think they'll be around for too much longer.

What's Blu-ray, chopped liver? There is little incentive (and currently means by which) to stream in HD to the standard of quality on a Blu-ray disc. This might not matter for many cheaper TV shows, but when it comes to the crowning achievements of anime, film, and perhaps even TV, people are going to DEMAND something special and at least some anime licensor's are going to want to take advantage of that, right? RIGHT?! Crying or Very sad
Yoda117

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad I didn't see the question until it was too late for this one.

I'd eagerly confess about my collection of hanken cels.

And then my gf would eventually read it and wonder why I ever spent so much $ on it (she's not a fan of anime).

Coolest thing I ever got for free though happened to be a DBZ Hanken. I'm still trying to figure out what I ever did to deserve that one.
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Forgot to send in my most expensive single purchase ... the first 3 seasons of Ranma 1/2 on VHS (imported from the US). Total was about AU$1000 ... no extras or anything, just the box + episodes. And let me tell you ... the box for season 3 was about 70cm (>2 feet) long.

That was back in the day when single VHS tapes generally cost about AU$75 - buying a box set was a huge saving.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:52 pm Reply with quote
EireformContinent wrote:
I suppose that both groups are too small to have a proper judge.

I'm not sure I'd call 2ch, DLsite, and other big anime blog hangouts 'small' to be honest.
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:54 pm Reply with quote
It's nice that Amazon and i-tunes offer downloading options. We don't even have our DVD player hooked up anymore. We've got a Mac jacked into the TV. With Netflix and the like, we prefer our shows digital these days. Unfortunately, when I've bought items from i-tunes there was no choice but to get the English dub. I prefer to watch in the original Japanese. The language is so beautiful. Also, the English VAs often sound too squeaky to me, or comical when the character is supposed to be more serious. I haven't tried X-Box live or Playstation. Does anyone know if you get an option of subtitles through those venues?
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote
$225 for Madoka Limited Editions, plus about $250-300 for all 5 magical girl figma figures, plus another $50-60 for a Homura school figma, about $130 for the Madoka Limited Edition PSP game, and about $20 for a magazine with a poster of Madoka in a swimsuit to creep out my room/suitemates in college... and that's actually about it for now.

Expensive? Yes. Product worth the money? Maybe. Gullible to pointless merchandise? Definitely.
Supporting the people willing to make and put out the stuff, as well as having physical evidence of such support and love? Worth every penny.

Though I might have to reassess my priorities after I'm satisfied with my Madoka collection. I haven't been this ambitious since completing my Pokemon card collection a few years ago... and I can barely afford it all as is. Even if I'm still being careful how I handle my own finances, my parents would think otherwise if they knew how much this all costed. "They're just toys and cartoons," they'd say. Well, until I create my own and show them how much it means to me. Someday. I'm getting there.
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I went for the Madoka LE's myself. There are a lot of extras there, so I don't feel bad about it. I wouldn't want every show going that far, but I would like it they would do something in between this and that.

I remember the old art cards from Mushi-shi. That was a pretty nice little addition, and I occasionally get those kinds of cards from Right-Stuf but I wish more of the anime boxes had those.

Art books are also cool, those are the sorts of things I like.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quote
There were a few instances in which you could buy legal DRM-free downloads of anime. Gonzo offered some through the now-defunct BOST TV, and there was also Time of Eve and other shows on CrunchyRoll early in it's non-piracy period.

To me this is the ideal format, and I'm not giving up on it becoming a widespread reality. It'll probably come from small companies or even doujin animation before anything, though.

ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:
Surprised the Answer on "Western cartoons in Japan" didn't mention "Avatar: The Last Airbender". Given how anime-styled it is, I'd love to hear how it did in Japan if it's aired there(or even the internet reception if it hasn't aired on tv there).

It was on Japanese Nickelodeon. Nickelodeon tanked in Japan and so did Avatar.

The JP dub of Avatar was also really bad, which might have had an effect on it's poor reception (this is spoken as a fan of the show).
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The JP dub of Avatar was also really bad, which might have had an effect on it's poor reception (this is spoken as a fan of the show).

I know I didn't ask why it failed or for speculation.
Drac

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:23 pm Reply with quote
TakaraTomy thought they could relaunch TMNT in Japan with the 2003 series and try to replicate the success the original show had over there. It was already 2007 by the time they secured a slot on TV Tokyo and tried to gussy it up with new OP and ED themes but it only lasted 52 episodes and they didn't even bother releasing them on DVD. Safe to say Viacom's new relaunch won't see the light of day over there.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Self-loathing importer? Not me.

5 $400 dollar DVD boxsets, 16 $50 dollar DVD singles, 2 $70 dollar CD boxsets for the Reborn! series and I'm totally happy. I get a good quality release for my favorite series of all time and the rare limited edition boxsets with the extras too. Even if it never comes stateside, I can brag about my beautiful collection.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:46 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
kakoishii wrote:
varmintx wrote:
Blind-buying the $225 Madoka LEs might seem like complete insanity
For 12 episodes? Yes that is insanity. And this is coming from someone who really enjoyed Madoka, but honestlyly do the math. You're paying $18.75 an episode. For one episode. Back in the day you could get 4 or 5 for a little more than that. I understand people like their LE sets, but honestly there is nothing anyone could tell me that would justify that price for so few episodes.

As for me, I'm a frugal being. The only thing I've ever paid more than I should for was the $50 I paid for 5cm per seconds right after ADV pulled it off the shelves. I can't say it wasn't worth it though.
Quoting only that portion of my post is taking what I said completely out-of-context. The point was that there's a chance you could actually make money on the LEs.

I quoted what was relevant to my qualm, it saves space. Kind of like how it would have suited you well just to quote the first half of my post (the relevant part) and nix the rest. In other words your statement "it might seem insane" elicited my answer "yes, completely insane." But if you wish for me to address the rest, the profitability of buying into an insane pricing model, I'd say less profitable than you might think. Just because something is listed for an exorbitant amount on amazon, doesn't mean people are actually buying it at that price. And unless you were hoping to actually profit on insane otaku wanting their oop goods, again not a profitable venture. Chances are you won't want to sell your set, and you'll be stuck with that feeling that you've spent nearly $20 for each of your individual episodes. I don't know about you, but that wouldn't sit right with me.

Also I don't agree with you're claims that fans should just suck it up and pay such high prices because "that's just the way it is." Madoka is about as niche as Haruhi or Lucky Star, I would think they could afford to not gouge their customers, and I hate to burst your bubble but as much as digital media is taking off, physically media isn't going anywhere anytime soon. So yes, I would encourage people to not support an expensive pricing model if they do not agree with it, because companies do tend to see poor sales as a reason to make changes.
Animerican14 wrote:

Well, the $225 covers the Limited Special Edition, which DOES give you more than just the episodes. The first $75 set will get you:

~A Collector's Box (even though it wont be chipboard, it's still sorta "special"...)
~Both a Blu-Ray disc and DVD version of the episodes
~Soundtrack CD #1
~A 24 page booklet featuring aoki ume 4koma and character designs (including Gekidan Inu Curry art)
∗ Double-sided poster
∗ Kyubey sticker
∗ Postcards featuring the title cards shown at the end of each episode

The latter two special editions should follow the exact same format, but of course with different OSTs, different booklets, different postcards, etcetera. So no, people aren't forking over $225 total just for the episodes by themselves; they're paying for largely otaku-minded extras as well.

If you really want to look at buying the show in a dollar-amount-per-episode way, look at the standard edition pricing: it's about $10/episode for the $40 BDs, and about $7.50/episode for the $30 DVDs. Considering that not every venue I'd like to play this show will have a BD player, I consider the BD/DVD Limited Edition combo a fine enough deal (even though that yes, this will still pain my wallet some).

Well, I guess if you find value in those items...I personally don't. I wouldn't spend that much more for the LE sets because postcard and key chains etc. don't do anything for me. I'm aware that there is the availability of the standard sets that is a bit more reasonably priced if not a bit old hat compared to how things have changed in the last 5 years where physical releases are concerned, but definitely less of hard pill to swallow than $225.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:08 am Reply with quote
I loved the PMMM series. So the Madoka Magica LE's appear to be just the thing for fans of the series. At $75 a pop the expense is spread out a bit, which makes it slightly more affordable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5