• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf, Viki License The Rose of Versailles Anime

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:19 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
People who easily cry may have cried, but I've seen better-written and more moving endings (all of which came out after Rose of Versailles, but that doesn't matter).

As I said in the previous post I do cry easily but I was introduced to the series by a bunch of male fans, all of who told me the series made them cry.

I guess what gets to one person in that way is very personal.

However I've seen very few anime as well written as Rose of Versailles, and I've seen quite a few (new & old). The series is epic in scope and it really does a fantastic job of highlighting the history of the time. To me it's a great historical fiction work, something that is not only rare in anime but in live action TV as well.

There are plenty of historical fiction films, but their length doesn't enable to them to capture the scope a series does. Rose of Versailles takes full advantage of its length and not only lets us experience history but also has the characters grow & change in midst of that history.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
dgsimmons wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:

I'm still waiting for this damn movie Toei, where is it? It's been almost 5 years since you showed this thing. It taunts us!

I got my hands on a PAL copy of the RoV movie on VHS years ago. You're not missing much; it's not very good. The tape still on my shelves somewhat, but my scanning VCR that let me watch PAL tapes broke down awhile ago, so I guess it's going to stay where it is.

If it's a live action movie, yes I know it sucks. However if you seriously have a VHS of the animated movie that Toei hasn't released yet outside of that rare teaser trailer they did, I do not believe you.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:13 pm Reply with quote
All this talk about crying...

The only anime that ever made me cry was some random episode of GTO in the middle of the series. And as much as I love GTO, you won't see me putting that show on any "masterpiece" lists just because it was the only anime that made me cry... Laughing

That said, Rose of Versailles is a must-buy for any anime fan wanting to own a series of great relevance to anime history. And for me personally, the fact that it's also entertaining to me is also a great plus in its favour.
niastyle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:
dgsimmons wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:

I'm still waiting for this damn movie Toei, where is it? It's been almost 5 years since you showed this thing. It taunts us!

I got my hands on a PAL copy of the RoV movie on VHS years ago. You're not missing much; it's not very good. The tape still on my shelves somewhat, but my scanning VCR that let me watch PAL tapes broke down awhile ago, so I guess it's going to stay where it is.

If it's a live action movie, yes I know it sucks. However if you seriously have a VHS of the animated movie that Toei hasn't released yet outside of that rare teaser trailer they did, I do not believe you.

I have never seen nor heard of this movie, but I'm with you, no way that would suck. The very idea sends shivers down my spine, and the video gets me all excited. It looks so awesome! I found a few other videos on Youtube that were better quality, and they looked so great. How dare they tease us with such greatness and not deliver?

And for the record, I cried at RoV too. It was the first anime that ever made me cry. The second was No. 6. Oh, and I cried at Kids on the Slope. I'm not a sap, the stories just drew me in emotionally. I actually cared for the characters.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

mdo7 wrote:
...now I wonder if Right Stuf (or Discotek) could maybe get these old school anime:

-Candy Candy
-GeGeGe no Kitaro
-Tiger Mask
-Hana no Ko Lunlun
-Attack No.1

I like more old school anime to come to US for our fans to watch.

In regards to the bolded, if you're going to ask for pro wrestling anime then how about i join in and ask for the following.

-Jushin Liger (Bio Armor Ryger) - Not wrestling but a super robot anime from Go Nagai that aired in the late 80s and like with Tiger Mask, It was where New Japan Pro Wrestling got the Jushin "Thunder" Liger gimmick from and the wrestler himself is a worldwide legend who still wrestles to this day.

-Kinnikuman - With the past popularity of Ultimate Muscle by 4Kids (in one of their few good dubs that was so popular that Toei made a second season exclusively for English markets at the time), this series should at least be considered and they can start with Muscle first to test the waters especially since the anime never got a full video release here.

Well I do have more old school anime that I do think need US release. What I listed is just a few. Although I would love the world masterpiece theater to get license in US (this is where Discotek or Right Stuf should come in to get those)

Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Not in a million years. Lawsuits and licensing issues mean even Japan doesn't have a DVD release of the series. No reprints of the manga either.

That does probably explain why the manga has never been pick up for English release. Also, yeah I never notice the show got a DVD release in Japan. So looks like ya right.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11