• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Future Diary Complete Series DVD

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:41 am Reply with quote
@Shadowrun20XX
I was cheering for Yuno and Yuki, especially for Yuno and her “Happy End”, throughout most of the series. Of course, spoiler[ ended up rooting for the 3rd Yuno in the end. ]

@gilnokoibito
Thanks for bringing that up. I haven’t seen the end of SAO's first season, or the second season yet. Probably won’t make much difference to those that don’t like rape scenes to begin with. But I felt as you did that they were part of the story and not over the top. Sadly, rape and other forms of sexual enslavement are all too common in real life and it makes sense in a story like Future Diary with a large cast, that some of the characters would be victims of such a thing.
Leebo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:51 am Reply with quote
I think most people have already addressed that it's not just a matter of having rape as a plot point, but the way it's handled. And the people that had a problem with Mirai Nikki obviously felt it was fetishized.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:55 am Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
I think most people have already addressed that it's not just a matter of having rape as a plot point, but the way it's handled. And the people that had a problem with Mirai Nikki obviously felt it was fetishized.

To each their own.
Leebo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:57 am Reply with quote
Yes, some people like that kind of thing.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:15 am Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:

You really had to go there. Rape, like killing, murder, torture, mutilations, and other high crimes are part of real life. As such, it is perfectly natural to have depictions of such things, in literature, TV, movies, and in anime.

I am sure many people would like depictions of rape to be visualized off-screen, but that doesn't make those who don't want to be shielded by society or be told what they can see or not, depraved individuals as you seem to imply.

You are right, some people think they went too far, and others think they didn't. That is simply what it is.
Leebo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:17 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure why you were surprised by what I said, that's typically what "to each his own" means. A difference in preference, not perception.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:08 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Leebo wrote:

You really had to go there. Rape, like killing, murder, torture, mutilations, and other high crimes are part of real life. As such, it is perfectly natural to have depictions of such things, in literature, TV, movies, and in anime.

I am sure many people would like depictions of rape to be visualized off-screen, but that doesn't make those who don't want to be shielded by society or be told what they can see or not, depraved individuals as you seem to imply.

You are right, some people think they went too far, and others think they didn't. That is simply what it is.

Here's the thing about fiction; it's not real. I may be stating the obvious, but it needs to be said and it needs to be said NOW. Fiction works different than reality. There's certain rules you need to follow, but some rules can be broken if the author needs to make a point.

Like you said, it's perfectly natural to have death, violence, and other morbid things to be in fictional works. But sometimes, they're there because "it's dark, and dark is better" or "it's sad, and sad means quality!" My point is, if you're going to put something like murder, torture, or rape in a story, it needs to make sense narrative-wise. Otherwise, you're going to get something like The Human Centipede or Master of Martial Hearts.

The problem people have with Episode Five of Future Diary is that the rape scene was unnecessary and was only there to please rape fetishists. This becomes worse when you realize that the manga only IMPLIED there was rape, never actually stating it out loud or showing the victim being assaulted. (Also, the manga used Barbie Doll Anatomy, so there was no fetishization to be had.) Then it becomes EVEN WORSE since the manga doesn't show Yuno being stripped during her assault (She is, but it's not shown in detail.). There's the problem with Episode Five in a heartbeat. I'm not counting Ai's backstory because that's anime-only.

It's not that we're not allowed to show bad things happening to people. It's that it needs to make sense in the story AND needs to be handled with taste to avoid unfortunate implications. The anime doesn't do either of those.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:16 pm Reply with quote
There are absolutely, no tasteful ways of depicting violence, whether rape or murder. Depictions of violence are supposed to visceral and impactful, not tasteful.

I understand why some people don't like depictions of violence in their entertainment, or wish it to be softened. I have no problem with you not liking Future Diary or thinking that perhaps the anime was catering to a select group. But that doesn't mean that everyone who didn't have a problem with the level or depictions of violence in Future Diary, falls into that select group. Personally, I think very few people fall into that group.

I liked the 'over the top' - ness of the story, especially the madness of Yuno and how it almost went hand in hand with Yuki. Sure the show has some problems, but for me, it is an interesting fantastical murder game, and I felt that the levels of violence and their depictions were acceptable for this story and this type of anime.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:07 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
There are absolutely, no tasteful ways of depicting violence, whether rape or murder. Depictions of violence are supposed to visceral and impactful, not tasteful.

I understand why some people don't like depictions of violence in their entertainment, or wish it to be softened. I have no problem with you not liking Future Diary or thinking that perhaps the anime was catering to a select group. But that doesn't mean that everyone who didn't have a problem with the level or depictions of violence in Future Diary, falls into that select group. Personally, I think very few people fall into that group.

I liked the 'over the top' - ness of the story, especially the madness of Yuno and how it almost went hand in hand with Yuki. Sure the show has some problems, but for me, it is an interesting fantastical murder game, and I felt that the levels of violence and their depictions were acceptable for this story and this type of anime.

Good points. Still, if you're going to use violence in a story, there needs to be a purpose in it being there. You can't have violence be there for the sake of violence. It needs to add to the plot or narrative, or else it comes off as extraneous and unnecessary. Future Diary is very hit-and-miss with this aspect. Sometimes, the gore and blood is justified, and sometimes it's not. I'm not going to bother to rewatch the entire series just to pick examples, but there are times when the violence becomes too over the top and, as a result, uncomfortable to watch.

Now, like I said before, I like Future Diary. I think it's really fun and entertaining. But I really don't think it's good, not at all. I like it the same way I'd like the average Michael Bay movie, so to speak. Aside from that, there are SO many more stories in the death game genre that have better written stories and characters. (Hello, Hunger Games. Hi, Dangan Ronpa.) At the very least, Future Diary isn't boring for even a second. That doesn't excuse the rough-drafty plot and stereotypical characters. In fact, I think the reason people like this anime is because it had interesting ideas, but not good executions of those ideas. That's why I think of it as an outline for a great anime and not as a great anime.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:08 am Reply with quote
I think after finally starting the series there are a few things that I find frustrating: it's immaturity towards what should be gritty events I.e murder, rape and hostage taking. No one ever seems to mourn or be significantly affected by these events. Another annoyance is Yukki's need to be friends with everyone and can forgive those who have tried to kill him without a second thought. Also I personally don't think this is the time to be so concerned about making friends, I think he can try and make friends after people have stopped trying to kill him.

Like others have stated, this anime isn't good and there are many plot holes and general issues with its story telling but of you don't think too much into it Future Diary is fairly enjoyable. I'm not sure if I will continue to watch yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LauraOrganaSolo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Mirai Nikki was two things

A) Terrible

B) A lot of fun

It is entirely possible for things be both at the same time. I certainly wouldn't watch it again, but I still thoroughly enjoyed watching it as it aired.

Also Ninth is the best, all other opinions are invalid.

I started reading this thread in the hopes that someone had a counter review for Mirai Nikki and all I got was three pages of arguing about virginity and someone trying to convince people this show is a "masterpiece," which I find hard to believe.

Kudos, Fencedude5609.

Edit: apparently all the reasonable discussion was on the 11th page. I should have skipped to the end.
gwdone

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:56 am Reply with quote
This anime was the worst purchase I've made in over ten years! I can't believe I wasted so much time on such useless crap-o-la! I can't even start to explain as I'm seeing red. GOD I hated it. It will go on ebay or any bay at .99 cents I can't even have it in my house it was so lame. I hate to rant about it, but geez, it just sucked so hard words can't even describe it's lameness. Sorry to just go off, but damn it sucked so hard.
I'll go so far as to say "curse all who made this mad house of an epic failure!! I'm eternally pissed off about it. And believe me, i've gambled and seen plenty bad anime. This one is the worse ever!
Did I mention that it SUCKED royally? Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:06 am Reply with quote
Guess you didn't like it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11