• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Psycho-Pass 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I've just watched the episode, but I entered in this website before only to see some news and the image of the episode in the main page pretty much told me what was going to happen (not exactly, but I was expecting for that moment to happen since I was watching) even though you don't enter in the full review itself. I wanted to point that out because I don't know whether it was a spoiler-screenshot by accident or we should expect that with any review. In my opinion the best would be taking less revealing screenshots so people who didn't watch the episode and review yet still can watch it fresh.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I swear when they were talking about how Kirito dude was 187 different people me and my brother were like " This is straight up Soap over BS" I don't care how [expletive] advance they are aint no way that shit could work.

What exactly are they trying to make me feel this season. I feel like the writer wants us to focus on so much shit so we don't realize how shitty his writing is. Too bad writer we notice .

Thank god the movies coming out soon. This shits gonna be a bad memory
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:01 pm Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:
I've just watched the episode, but I entered in this website before only to see some news and the image of the episode in the main page pretty much told me what was going to happen (not exactly, but I was expecting for that moment to happen since I was watching) even though you don't enter in the full review itself. I wanted to point that out because I don't know whether it was a spoiler-screenshot by accident or we should expect that with any review. In my opinion the best would be taking less revealing screenshots so people who didn't watch the episode and review yet still can watch it fresh.

Yeah, it didn't strike me as much of a spoiler in the moment (Tougane points gun at Mika, big ole shocker there,) but in hindsight I should try to be more careful with screencaps. This show is really difficult to get good, interesting screengrabs of, since it's mostly talking heads in dimly lit rooms and I have to get a cap without subtitles. But I'll be more careful in the future.
MasterGhost

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Hope, if you really hate a show that much, just drop it. Which one is more ridiculous: a sequel that attempts to surpass its prequel, which is probably one of the best cyberpunk anime series ever; or a news website reviewer writing what is obviously a subjective, biased opinion, and treating the act of bashing an anime like its fun? I choose the latter.

Disclaimer: And yes, this comes from a butthurt fan of the show who is sick of people forcing things they don't like down their own throats. But it's perfectly logical to have such a reaction, am I right?
Gasero

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:18 pm Reply with quote
"I wonder if Psycho-Pass season 2 has been interesting so far."
Quote:
Kamui uses the help of an allied doctor to kidnap important political figures and transplant both their faces and heaps of their organs into his voluntary disciples (who have already been made "clear" through drugs and brainwashing,) and this somehow fools the Sibyl System into thinking they are that person.

Well, I guess I dodged that bullet. Sounds like a terrible premise.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:19 pm Reply with quote
MasterGhost wrote:
Hope, if you really hate a show that much, just drop it. Which one is more ridiculous: a sequel that attempts to surpass its prequel, which is probably one of the best cyberpunk anime series ever; or a news website reviewer writing what is obviously a subjective, biased opinion, and treating the act of bashing an anime like its fun? I choose the latter.

1) You are aware this is my job, right? I was assigned to the show. I'm not just writing about it for kicks and giggles. I have an assignment and deadlines, to write about every episode, every week. At this point, ANN policy is that a streaming show is only dropped if it's so uninteresting and/or low traffic that there's no point covering any more episode-by-episodes for it. (Precedent for this being Trinity Seven.) Psycho-Pass is high traffic, high interest, and there's lots to say about it, even if it's mostly bad things by now. This "don't write about it if you don't love it!" stuff has come up in several threads now, and it's baffling to me. What the hell do you think critics should write then? Ad copy? Just flowers and sunshine and promotional buzz instead of actual thoughtful discussion? Yuck.

2) All opinions are subjective. An "objective review" is a list of production credits. I'm still baffled by how often this gets tossed around, like people have no idea what "review" means. It's supposed to be one person's opinion. Hopefully it's an informed opinion that tells others a lot about what to expect in regard to their own tastes and how they compare or contrast to the reviewer's...but all reviews are subjective opinion. Period.

3) "Bias" implies an opinion formed with zero regard for the subject's content. I've written hundreds, sometimes thousands of words about this show every week, and the scores started positive, only becoming negative as of episode 4, went back to positive in episode 5, and then have been negative since episode 6. Clearly I've been paying attention to something that yielded a flexibility to my opinion over time. So, no bias here bucko, but thanks for playing!

P.S. This season in no way attempts to "surpass" the original anyway. I don't think anyone's claiming that. It looks like it was written under the constrictions of being a "filler season," as in it can't have a significant effect on what happens in the movie because they were being written around the same time. Presumably they gave Ubukata permission to kill off Aoyanagi because they decided she had no further role in the franchise, so that was fine. But yeah, Ubukata was clearly not really given permission to try and top the first season or even really progress the plot.

MasterGhost wrote:

Disclaimer: And yes, this comes from a butthurt fan of the show who is sick of people forcing things they don't like down their own throats. But it's perfectly logical to have such a reaction, am I right?

Not really. When I see someone talking shit about a thing I like, I don't tell them how to feel, I just...you know...ignore it and let them have their opinion. I promise you that if you do the same, you'll be a lot less stressed out over stuff that doesn't matter, like other people having different opinions from you on pop culture.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:15 pm Reply with quote
qberr wrote:

It's really just a bad splatter flick with no substance.
It's great unintended comedy tho.

spoiler[Just think about it: Kirito probably has a compound penis, no wonder Shisui isn't getting any]

See, I'd still argue that the show is a "thriller" in the sense that I can't wait to see what ridiculous thing will happen next Very Happy
For example, Kirito/Kamui having spoiler[a franken-penis] Shocked
can't get crazier than that, lol.

JesuOtaku wrote:
P.S. This season in no way attempts to "surpass" the original anyway. I don't think anyone's claiming that. It looks like it was written under the constrictions of being a "filler season," as in it can't have a significant effect on what happens in the movie because they were being written around the same time.

@Hope, maybe you have more insight into this than I do, but I don't see why the staff or production committee would do a 2nd season with the intention being a "filler season" from the start.
I thought filler seasons usually apply only to super-popular shows (like a shonen show). Psycho-Pass has a decent, but not huge, Japanese viewership so I don't see why they didn't just skip a 2nd season altogether and just put out the movie. I'm assuming they put out the 11 episode digest version of the first season to tide people over till the movie and it sounds bizarre that the staff would tell Ubukata to purposely make this season worst than the first.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:34 pm Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:

@Hope, maybe you have more insight into this than I do, but I don't see why the staff or production committee would do a 2nd season with the intention being a "filler season" from the start.
I thought filler seasons usually apply only to super-popular shows (like a shonen show). Psycho-Pass has a decent, but not huge, Japanese viewership so I don't see why they didn't just skip a 2nd season altogether and just put out the movie.

The second season was made on a significantly lower budget by a partner studio, and was aired after a re-run (not a common thing for anime!) of the first season, so that tells me that the second season was made to promote the movie and maintain interest in the property. It's a "filler season" because the movie and second season had to be written and produced fairly simultaneously, and they don't want huge continuity errors or anything.

Quote:
it sounds bizarre that the staff would tell Ubukata to purposely make this season worst than the first.

Oh, I'm sure they didn't! Nobody says "make this not as good" in a production, ever. He was probably just told he couldn't make something that would heavily change the status quo from the end of season one. Doesn't mean it has to be bad! It just means the story has to sort of resolve itself within itself and not change much overall. But I'm positive Ubukata tried to make the very best thing that he could with what he had...he's just not a very good writer. I mean, look at his resume. Most people saw this coming, we just didn't expect it to be this dumb. But expectations have been managed since early on...I'm genuinely disappointed that he somehow blew a hole in my already lower, but still optimistic outlook.

But nobody wanted this season to be "bad," least of all I.G. It's just a matter of limited ability. Psycho-Pass is a hard world to work within! Lots and lots of rules. I'm sure it was tough to try and figure out a bottle story for that universe. (I'm also sure it could have been done about 1,000 times better.)
qberr

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:46 pm Reply with quote
they released a movie trailer that was basically a list of s2 people that will survive s2, this when next week is spoiler[Kirito attacking CID] according to official website's preview
i really think they just don't care about s2, even series composer is probably more busy doing arise (he's usually not this bad, Fafner and Heroic Age were pretty good, mardock scramble was ages ago)

it's too bad they decided to throw away Aoyanagi on this (it's really the thing that stops me from enjoying this as a funny trainwreck), but spoiler[that might've been an Urobuchi thing ]spoiler[as Sugo is a movie character]
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Daerian wrote:
At this moment it doesn't matter which interpretation is correct - as there are two very different interpretation of basic fact, this means show failed to express its information correctly.

Or people didn't pay close enough attention and just let their preexisting bias effect their interpretation. It was pretty clear to a lot of us last week and confirmed by episode 8 this week. If nobody got it, then I'd agree it is a failure of the season 2 staff. However, a lot of people did get it correct.

Season 2 has plenty of failures. No need to pin something on it that it didn't do.

I actually thought after ep 7 that they might be taking this somewhere interesting. Not after ep 8 though... have to agree with most of the complaints mentioned.
SejinPK

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:11 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
The second season was made on a significantly lower budget by a partner studio, and was aired after a re-run (not a common thing for anime!) of the first season, so that tells me that the second season was made to promote the movie and maintain interest in the property. It's a "filler season" because the movie and second season had to be written and produced fairly simultaneously, and they don't want huge continuity errors or anything.

About maintaining interest in the property, I don't quite get that. I'm not very familiar with the marketing side of anime, so maybe there's something I'm missing, but if people were interested in and enjoyed the first season, wouldn't they naturally be interested in the movie, with or without a second season, even if reminders of the series aren't constantly put in front of them? Maybe when they heard about the movie, their reaction would be something like, "Oh, hey, yeah, I remember that! It was great! I'm excited about this movie!" And wouldn't people who didn't get into Psycho-Pass be even less likely to be interested in further seasons and/or movies in the series anyways?

Maybe it's a bad idea to use myself as an example here, but I really enjoyed Durarara!! I watched it probably three or four times around when it aired on Adult Swim. Then I went on to other stuff, and I haven't re-watched it, or even been reminded of it much, since then. When I found out that the second season was announced, I was really excited because of how much I enjoyed the first one. The time gap made me slightly less excited than I would have been if it had been sooner, but only slightly. And I'm less excitable than most people, to boot.

As far as promoting the movie goes, they could just...umm...promote the movie.

It doesn't make sense to me to create a second season if all it's essentially doing is killing time while having to maintain the status quo for the movie anyways. It just seems incredibly unnecessary.
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But I'm positive Ubukata tried to make the very best thing that he could with what he had...he's just not a very good writer. I mean, look at his resume.

Out of curiosity, would you put Le Chevalier D'Eon in with his "bad resume?" I thought it was pretty good. Of course, it's the only show of his I've seen. Embarassed
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:34 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

Oh, I'm sure they didn't! Nobody says "make this not as good" in a production, ever. He was probably just told he couldn't make something that would heavily change the status quo from the end of season one. Doesn't mean it has to be bad! It just means the story has to sort of resolve itself within itself and not change much overall. But I'm positive Ubukata tried to make the very best thing that he could with what he had...he's just not a very good writer. I mean, look at his resume. Most people saw this coming, we just didn't expect it to be this dumb. But expectations have been managed since early on...I'm genuinely disappointed that he somehow blew a hole in my already lower, but still optimistic outlook.

For some frame of reference, since I, despite my love of anime, only track seiyuu production credits and have only recently gotten to following directors and producers, I would like to know what the main issue is with Ubukata?

For reference, I've only watched the first and second Mardock Scramble movies and looking back, they were certainly explicit and gory (the gang sent to kill Rune in the first movie is a combination of "freaks" I never saw coming) but the writing, while a bit rushed and inconsistent in pacing, did have some emotional scenes I liked (the courtroom in particular).

In addition, I have heard no real complaints about Ghost in the Shell Arise which he is the writer on.

Still, kind of odd he was given, according to Wikipedia the 24th Nihon SF Taisho Award for science fiction writing
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:18 am Reply with quote
Hope Chapman remains ANN's consistently most hilarious reviewer. I love it when she interacts with the user base too, it's always a pleasure to read.

Attempting for a more mature point of discussion here, season 1 had some pretty damn far-fetched and just kind of crazy stuff so I'm not 100% sure the whole organ transplant thing entirely tips the scales. To me the scales were tipped long ago with the whole criminal brains running society thing and how Urobuchi fumbled with some vague attempt at social commentary there. Pretty half-baked stuff too since the revelation came so late and it barely got to address it in any meaningful way since it was dealing with the whole Makashima storyline at the same time. Ubukata seems to have some sort of organ transplant fetish in any case since I swear it's present in pretty much all of it's works, but yeah considering I never found this a hyper realistic franchise in the first place the only thing I can say is it's just kind of silly as opposed to some horrible affront. Confused
azhanei

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:43 am Reply with quote
I don't see that the 2nd season was needed to just tout the movie either. The season one recut did that, plus the movie seems to be the real season two. But I don't mind the stand-alone story either. Yeah, it has flaws, but it still tries to ask the larger philosophical questions, even it's more clumsy about it.

My biggest miff about episode eight was the mild chibi art when Togane and Akane had tea. Convoluted writing I can handle -- I watched seven seasons of True Blood after all -- but that style is too out of character with the show. I hope it doesn't happen again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 27