• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Eromanga-sensei (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:24 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
But we needed more than "I like her because she's my cute step-sister" to really get invested in the romance between these two :/

That's why the show should have spent more time developing their relationship by having them interact more instead of just slapping this backstory in there. That's why I wish this show was more about the relationship between Masamune and Sagiri and Masamune helping Sagiri go back to school and all that instead of cramming in secondary love interests. Though Masamune's "love at first sight" is complete bs no matter what they do.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:45 am Reply with quote
Yes, I know that when I'm watching a show about a dude who's in love with his 12-year-old jailbait sister, I certainly need more to get invested in their "romance."

Oi freakin' vey.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:05 am Reply with quote
I do wish the characters were at least a bit older but this is what we are stuck with. And the show hasn't managed to get me invested in the romance between Masamune and Sagiri, not because it's "icky", but because the show hasn't done a good job developing a nice relationship between them, in my opinion anyways. The relationship between them is mostly just awkward: "Look at my sexy swimsuit!". "Sagiri, you managed to get out of your room! You've worked so hard! *sniff* ". Sagiri managed to say "Welcome home, Nii-san"! How cute!... Blegh.

Yeah, I love that clip though.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Backstories normally work fine for me.

Blood- wrote:
Yes, I know that when I'm watching a show about a dude who's in love with his 12-year-old jailbait sister, I certainly need more to get invested in their "romance."

Oi freakin' vey.

Rolling Eyes

Hush already, the "dude" is JAILBAIT HIMSELF.

Seriously guys, they are BOTH children. Their maturity levels don't seem that different. They are not having sex. They probably won't even kiss. Will you get over it?
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Masamune and Sagiri's ages are a mere three years apart, which seems to be the average age difference for a lot of teenage couples. As long as the two don't start engaging in adult activities, I don't have an issue with their ages.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I was keeping a bit quiet, but I just want to add again that I think the backstory was cute. I had actually kind of expected along the lines that Sagiri was probably his original fan who had supported him, and it probably had some part with her drawing. It was kind of why I was a little confused when some other girl seemed to be taking the role of being an early fan that sent him letters, but I was not surprised when we learned what we did in the recent episode. It even felt like there were hints in earlier episode that these two shared a past with their arts, but only Sagiri seems aware of it.

I am actually theorising that it is not too much of a crazy coincidence as one might expect, that both of these kids probably adopted the professions of their parents. We know Sagiri's mother was an artist who did otaku work, while Masamune's father read light novels and for some reason got a computer which he seemed quick to consider could be of use in writing. I would be interested to find out how those two met and got together. I am going to headcanon that they talked about their kids always looking at their phones as some sort of starting off point that the connection those two were having did have an influence of them getting where they are. But I might just be a romantic like that.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

Seriously guys, they are BOTH children. Their maturity levels don't seem that different. They are not having sex. They probably won't even kiss. Will you get over it?

People are allowed their opinions, as long as they present them civilly, without you being rude to them. If you disagree with Blood or Cam0 then perhaps you should simply ignore them if you can't post in response without resorting to being rude. You're allowed to enjoy the show but they are equally allowed to not enjoy it and point out flaws as they see them.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I wasn't offended by it or anything, I don't think Chiibi was being that rude.. I'm not that bothered about Sagiri's age anyway despite ranting about it a bit at the beginning.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:55 am Reply with quote
@ Chiibi: I grant you the fact the MC is 15 himself as opposed to an being an adult makes it less creepy than otherwise would be the case. Also, I know that the characters themselves act in an innocent way, but you can't deny the show uses fanservice to pander to the target otaku audience that just LOVES imouto love stories. In effect saying, "12-year-old: pretty hot, eh? Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more, say no more."

Creepy.

I have no idea why the author of this source material decided to virtually remake OreImo. Branch out, dude. I mean, the guy who did Sword Art Online managed to make Accel World seem pretty different despite similiarities in premise.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:20 am Reply with quote
I just had a kind of funny thought.
Masamune are not even the only otaku siblings with an older brother with dark hair, a quite younger sister with light hair, and also some hikikimori characteristics involved. Sora and Shiro.

Masamune and Sagiri could only wish to be as close as them. There might be more of an age gap, and few anime siblings are as close as .

I don't know if it is relevant, but I just thought of those and suddenly things with Masamune and Sagiri just made me laugh.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:06 am Reply with quote
I don't mind the fanservice in No game No life. It's obviously there for titillating purposes but the fanservice in NGNL was mostly used in comedic scenes. In Eromanga-sensei we get a shameless shot of Sagiri's breasts and ass in an awkward scene that is played straight. It just feels.. different. I don't shy away from fanservice but that scene where Sagiri revealed her swimsuit while Masamune and Sagiri were the only ones in the house just made me feel a bit uncomfortable. I'm sorry guys, it just did.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:34 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I don't shy away from fanservice but that scene where Sagiri revealed her swimsuit while Masamune and Sagiri were the only ones in the house just made me feel a bit uncomfortable. I'm sorry guys, it just did.

Beg for our forgiveness, you swine!

Wink
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm not trying to be rude but it's getting tiresome to see the same complaint over and over again....as if the show would suddenly change the ages of the characters in the next episode or something.

As others said, 3 years is not a big deal at all.

Quote:
I have no idea why the author of this source material decided to virtually remake OreImo.

Really? I can think of MANY reasons. lol

It's because Kirino sucks, the KirinoxKyousuke pairing sucks, and nobody wanted it and the few people who DID want it only got it for half an episode....if that.

This "remake" is a hell of a lot better since the heroine isn't a complete blood-related bitch and Masamune and Sagiri share a nicer relationship that I can actually support this time.

But I do agree the fanservice shots of a young girl are creepy.....yet when Dragon Maid did it, everyone was okay with it? Wtf guys, that whole Twister scene was so disgusting and a lot worse than anything this show has done since Kanna looks like she's SIX......

I was uncomfortable with the swimsuit until it was revealed to only be a swimsuit.
Cause they made it look like a panty shot in the prologue. >_>
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:35 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
This "remake" is a hell of a lot better since the heroine isn't a complete blood-related bitch and Masamune and Sagiri share a nicer relationship that I can actually support this time.

Even if I agreed that Eromanga-sensei does the romance between the leads better than Oreimo, it's kinda pointless when the show does everything else worse. Oreimo had some romance but most importantly it was a fun show with fun characters and fun character interactions. The ending sucked but it doesn't change that most of the show was fun. Eromanga-sensei lacks the fun characters and comedy. Kyousuke was a funny dude, Masamune is bland. Well that's my opinion anyways.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:39 am Reply with quote
I can't fully go against your claim, Masamune is a bit more bland than Kyousuke, there is a little bit of a spark missing that made especially the group of 4 we saw cameo that worked well. And I can only say that perhaps they were working on it the beach trip with the other girls, and that writing is his interest does actually make him more involved than just the supporter.

I actually did feel a bit of spark though when for example Sagiri would turn pervy while comfortable to do so even in front of others. And in general when Elf is being her own crazy self, as well as seeing more of Muramasa being imperfect.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 13