• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:31 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Think of it like this. When the vast majority thinks something, usually they have a point. Not always, but most of the times.

Sorry, but this is just a bad take. The majority liking something doesn't translate to its quality in the slightest. Some things are designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator by using popular tropes and themes. Some things get a fanbase early on and then gradually decay in terms of quality while its fans stick around due to it becoming a comfort show or the sunk cost fallacy. Some things are just decent but have a variety of traits that allow it to appeal to a wide selection of people without ever reaching the point of "good." Some things are objectively bad and sell out almost immediately. Are you going to argue that Fifty Shades of Gray was good? Because that was massively popular at one point.

You're free to like something, but if you actually use its popularity as a way to convince someone it's good, I'm going to strong doubt that you even like it in the first place.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:48 pm Reply with quote
flamemasterelan wrote:
AksaraKishou wrote:
Think of it like this. When the vast majority thinks something, usually they have a point. Not always, but most of the times.

Sorry, but this is just a bad take. The majority liking something doesn't translate to its quality in the slightest. Some things are designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator by using popular tropes and themes. Some things get a fanbase early on and then gradually decay in terms of quality while its fans stick around due to it becoming a comfort show or the sunk cost fallacy. Some things are just decent but have a variety of traits that allow it to appeal to a wide selection of people without ever reaching the point of "good." Some things are objectively bad and sell out almost immediately. Are you going to argue that Fifty Shades of Gray was good? Because that was massively popular at one point.

You're free to like something, but if you actually use its popularity as a way to convince someone it's good, I'm going to strong doubt that you even like it in the first place.

Since when does appealing to the lower common denominator make something? Did Fortnite become bad while i wasn't looking or something?
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:08 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Since when does appealing to the lower common denominator make something? Did Fortnite become bad while i wasn't looking or something?

I believe I was rather explicit in what I wrote, but I'll repeat it again: something being popular doesn't make it good.

Plenty of trash gets popular for being in the right place, targeting the right demographic at the right time. And while there's nothing wrong with liking a popular property, pointing to that popularity as an indication of its quality is just a terrible argument.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Unculturedman wrote:
I really don’t understand the insane praise I’ve seen for this.

As somebody who read the manga on a weekly basis when it was coming out and thought it was a dumpster fire, I do think the anime is significantly more enjoyable here, largely because of the pacing. Dealing with Zero Squad shenanigans for months on end while waiting for anything interesting to happen felt interminable, but here that's going by much faster. Some of the plot beats are definitely still pretty dumb, but at least the animation is fantastic. I can see how somebody who's been waiting for the conclusion for 10 years would be pretty excited by what's happened so far.
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Well, that was good. The Zangetsu stuff was the blow-away highpoint in the manga just as it was here when it happened. Well done!

Already read the manga to completion. But this show is still as fun as ever (minus the filler). The new production is doing a bang-up job, as does Sagisu's music and reorchestrations of classics.

I do love the anime-original stuff that has been added too! I hope these are all signs that they will improve and add more towards the finish that will fix issues with the manga towards the end. It just needs some extra somethings here and there, and that would greatly help, so here's hoping!
KaidoYuji8Shinji

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:20 pm Reply with quote
What a bummer watching the Dub… I really wish there was somehow they could have brought back more VAs from the original dub. I assume many retired and/or moved on from anime? (Eg Laura Bailey). JYB sounds great again. The first episodes were a little rough but it’s better now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 12 of 12