• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment Adds Kannagi Anime DVDs & Streams

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:13 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:

This isn't the place for Yet Another Fansub Debate. Also, I gave in and ordered it. Mehhhhh. I'm even more ticked off that they have the nerve to charge $34.95 for a subbed only DVD. In singles format. Wasn't this whole sub only thing supposed to be cheaper for us? Nice going, Bandai.

Not going to lie I prefer my sub only dvds at Media Blasters pricing- about $20 or so for 13 episodes.

I don't like sub only dvds of certain shows. Where as there are others (one Piece, naruto) I would prefer a sub only set.

As for this show i've seen a bit. I liked it and was waiting on a nice dub so i could watch it again. But it looks like I won't get that. So I won't be getting the show until much later at a much cheaper price.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:30 pm Reply with quote
jyuichi wrote:

Two words, honey : Episode Count.

Avg. dub disc 4 eps. 30$ MSRP 7.50$ an episode
Avg. sub disc 4 eps. 20$ MSRP 5$ an episode
Kannagi 7 eps. 34$ MSRP 5$ an episode

Kannagi is priced inline with other subbed discs, except that every retailer of it (all two of them) has it at 26.24 from the get-go before discount coupons or deals. Thats not a coincidence.
So the math is more like 3.75$ an episode if you don't put off buying it.

A: I'm not your "honey".

B: Don't get snippy with me. The average sub disc does -not- only have four episodes on it, and there have been plenty of dub discs with cheaper prices and more episodes. I recall the Sorcerer Hunters set back in the day that had the entire series on four regularly priced discs.

$34.95 for one seven episode disc with no dub is ridiculous. No two ways about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Your precious, loveable, nigh-infallible FUNimation has also released things with poor pricing schemes, like 25 minutes of Burst Angel for an MSRP of $29.99. Yeah, it has a dub, but that hardly makes the price justifiable, even with a 10 dollar mark-down, that's still ridiculous. So a estimated $30 for Kannagi's first seven episodes doesn't seem too bad, but they could have done better. IIRC, Media Blasters did like 6 Simoun episodes at a time for much less.

Either way, I wasn't going to buy this series even with a dub.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:39 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Your precious, loveable, nigh-infallible FUNimation has also released things with poor pricing schemes, like 25 minutes of Burst Angel for an MSRP of $29.99.

Yes, I can pick selective choices out to try making a point regardless of how far from the norm they are, too. What's your point?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:

Conan-san wrote:
...my country doesn't celebrate Baseball, Moms and Apple Pie.

I believe you're mistaken about the last item in that list. Note we've been baking those by recipe since the 14th Century.
Also Baseball was born in Sussex in the early 19th. Century in the form of "Rounders". Have you both forgotten Mothering Sunday? For shame. Wink
Both good points, however, we got over ourselves in those regards. (Cricket doesn't count as that was made by the unfun conspericy).

But my point stands; this release is utter BS, the method of release is utter BS and the Great IP WALL of China is utter BS.

My Question is thus: Bandai, why do you hate money so?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:05 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

Not going to lie I prefer my sub only dvds at Media Blasters pricing- about $20 or so for 13 episodes.

Where the heck did you find those Media Blasters sub only prices? Cause Doujin Work is $20, but only comes with 4 episodes.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
You might want to ask Andrew that, though I'm sure he fights for our corner in this regard. I don't think they hate money. They just don't realise that ours is worth more than theirs, or the US. Wink
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
You might want to ask Andrew that, though I'm sure he fights for our corner in this regard. I don't think they hate money. They just don't realise that ours is worth more than theirs, or the US. Wink
I'm pretty sure Andrew is still trying to summon his persona over how badly Haruhi 2 is going.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
I'm pretty sure Andrew is still trying to summon his persona over how badly Haruhi 2 is going.

At this rate even if they do license it it'll get the sub-only treatment. It wouldn't surprise me, given the fact they wouldn't even dub the Lucky Star OVA.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:19 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Offering what your customers want is the first and the most important rule of doing business.

I don't disagree with you on that. It's just that it seems like local companies are bending backward to cater hardcore Taiwanese fans' whim. Are Taiwanese fans similar to Japanese fans?

dormcat wrote:
reanimator wrote:
If it doesn't look exactly like Japanese version, that makes the product inferior?

I don't, but I know many people do think that way.

I believe you. And I thought purists here are nuts. Did Taiwanese companies made local fans angry by making mediocre product in the past? Or is this cultural thing?

dormcat wrote:
reanimator wrote:
Isn't it more rewarding to come up with graphic/product design that looks better than what Japanese can offer?

It looks like you have very little idea of how the industry works: all finalized designs have to be approved by the Japanese license holder. For the past four years (of establishing personal contacts of local licensees) I have yet seen anything that could be superior; "on par with" is the best thing they could offer.

Hey, blame my ignorance for not knowing the local industry. Heck, I care less about my own country's. If Japanese hates reverse importation, how come the DVD you showed us earlier look exactly alike Japanese version except obi sleeve and company logo? Wouldn't Japanese hate Taiwanese companies for that? Is that why Taiwanese companies pay royalty fees to silence a possible Japanese complaint and appease close-minded local fans? Once again my opinion: That doesn't look good in long run. I wonder what really made Japanese to dictate package design of foreign licensee other than reverse importation. Do you think Japanese are just being fearful or Taiwanese companies rubbed them off in wrong way?

BTW, there's something I want to ask about Taiwanese R3 Anime DVD's. Since I never own R3 DVD except one Korean DVD, so is it normal for Taiwanese disc makers to add English subtitles on DVD's?

I'm tossing out DVD suggestions I made earlier. How's this? Coming up with attractive design that is different from Japanese aesthetic and appeals to local fans. It doesn't have to be superior, but just as desirable as Japanese counterpart. Really, I strongly believe that Taiwan has potential, but it's shame that local companies have to put up with red tapes.

Last edited by reanimator on Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:30 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
minamikaze wrote:
hissatsu01 wrote:
Oh joy, another DVD with 7 episodes stuffed onto it. Why not put the whole series on one DVD? If 7 episodes are good, surely 13 (14) will be much better. Think of the savings in production costs. Who knows what other lessons we can learn from garbage quality bootlegs. Argh.

Rolling Eyes Sigh, there's plenty of room on a DVD 9 for 7 episodes of anime, even more so when there is only one audio track. It isn't even 3 hours worth of content, so there is no reason for the quality to suffer for it. There are plenty of 3 hour movies on DVD 9 discs.

Not without cutting into maximum bitrates there isn't. The max ideally should be 5 episodes for DVD-9 and 3 for DVD-5. The lack of a dub doesn't make much of difference, as the amount of space stereo audio takes is negligible compared to video.

Frankly I know it's a losing battle. Aside from Right Stuf, everyone is moving to this kind of release. The vast majority of people will be fine with it. But most of them would be fine with bootleg video quality as well. Doesn't mean I have to like it. I'll buy this because I have the fansubs, but I'll hope for a higher quality Japanese blu-ray release somewhere down the line, because this doesn't cut it.

Glad to finally see I'm not the only concerned with the over packing of DVDs lately. Funimation's recent policy of 4 discs for a 26 episode series has been driving me mad (still curious how the Gankutsuou compares to the 6 disc set as I'm unaware of whether that on use DVD5s). ADV used to do that back in the day with Sorcerer Hunters and Blue Seed, and those didn't look nearly as good as they could have. Granted, some of companies use DVD5s for four episodes (Animeigo's releases, the Funi Lupin movies I've been watching which look terrible, and I'm sure the 7 episode Key release Viz still owes an apology on for releasing twice), and few max the bitrate sadly. The philosophy seems to be to use no more than a gig an episode.

Sure you can fit three hours on a DVD 9. You can also fit the whole series on there if you wanted too. The point is that you probably wouldn't want to, and those buying the DVDs instead of going with the free stream probably want them looking the best they can, and wouldn't mind buying one more disc. I know of a lot of three hour movies spread across two discs for quality sake.

Other than that, I must applaud Bandai for picking this show up, and having a speedy release for it. It's worth it just for the closet and karaoke episodes alone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:49 pm Reply with quote
They are able to do that because they cut the extras. Even if you look at the old dvd9s where they would put only the 4 episodes, they didn't exactly use all the space available.

I've done a few comparisons on this with the vob sizes for the individual episodes and they aren't really smaller now than they were before.

I checked Kaze no Stigma vs. Death Note recently, both of which use a DVD9, and Death Note doesn't use as much of the available space, so even though it could be a higher bitrate, it doesn't actually turn out that way.

Also, anime is typically simpler to keep at a small filesize with decent quality in comparison to a live action DVD. I've encoded many DVDs and live action is very hard to get looking decent with a reasonable filesize. I use qp=18 most of the time because I don't care "that much" about filesize, but if I throw that at live action I'm going to get files 2-4 times larger than most anime (I say most anime, because some shows like Dragon Ball Z encode horribly large if I use qp=18 because of all the grain. Newer series can look much nicer with less bitrate because of the lower amount of grain).
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:53 pm Reply with quote
jyuichi wrote:

I remember when getting a subbed VHS cost just as much as dubbed VHS but harder to find. Just enjoy that you can get them both on the same media nowadays XP

Really? I remember them being between 5 to 10 bucks more. There's even a joke about it in "This is Otakudom" ("Letters aren't cheap! And there's an awful lot of them in anime.")

I always laugh when someone complains about anime pricing. Particularly with boxsets, they're practically giving it away now compared to the days where getting all of Eva in both langauges cost nearly 700 dollars, and shows like Dangaio were released for 35 dollars an episode. 105 bucks for a three part OAV.

Even going back to sub only, anime is dirt cheap, end of story, and you can stream it for free if you're so disgusted with the lack of dub.

Again, aside from the 7 episodes a disc bit, a huge bravo to Bandai for this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:25 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
$34.95 for one seven episode disc with no dub is ridiculous. No two ways about it.

Not really. $35 recommended retail for seven episodes is a tad steep compared to other sub-only releases ($50 RRP for thirteen episodes of MariMite, for example), but is still a price I'm willing to pay for a show I like. Really, the only reason it's ridiculous to you is the no dub part (which I'm not entirely disagreeing with; your preferences are your preferences).

SongstressCela wrote:
At this rate even if they do license it it'll get the sub-only treatment. It wouldn't surprise me, given the fact they wouldn't even dub the Lucky Star OVA.

To be honest, I do expect that Haruhi S2 would be worthwhile to dub, as long as they go with a more sensible release model. (Haruhi does have a bit more mainstream appeal than Lucky Star, so no dubbed Lucky Star OVA doesn't necessarily mean certain doom for a Haruhi dub.) I just hope Bandai see it that way...

Renaisance Otaku wrote:
Again, aside from the 7 episodes a disc bit, a huge bravo to Bandai for this.

I actually have no problem with it being seven episodes a disc. As long as the encoder has anything approaching a clue, quality will be no worse than with 4 episodes on a DVD5. Funimation doing 6-7 episodes per disc for the second season of School Rumble was perfectly acceptable. About the only thing I have against it being only one disc is having less pretty cover art (and reversible covers can take care of that), but the more compact release is much kinder on the rapidly shrinking free space on my shelves.
Dr Grant Swinger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:

But my point stands; this release is utter BS, the method of release is utter BS and the Great IP WALL of China is utter BS.

Bandia loves money just like the rest of us. The problem is that the UK market is too small for them bother with. The US market is large enough to support a subtitled (but not dubbed) release and produce a decent profit. The UK market wouldn't even even make back the DVD mastering costs. Streaming has the same problem. Somebody somewhere has to pay for the streams and there's nobody in the UK market to do it.

I know this isn't what you want to hear and it's too bad you're getting such a raw deal. But throwing stones at Bandai won't make the numbers work any better. If you want Kannagi you'll have to convince what's left of the importers that the title will be a profitable one for them to bring over. Or you'll have to import. Either way you'll have to settle for a sub-only release.

At least that's better than what I get when I import from Japan. I have to pay a lot more for R2 DVDs that don't even have subtitles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 15