• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch From Mercury

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:02 am Reply with quote
maric wrote:
kotomikun wrote:
and referring to the show as "G-Witch."

For real though, I'll never understand why the incredibly obvious and better sounding "Mercury Witch" isn't the common name (or why it was even localized to the much clumsier sounding "The Witch from Mercury" for that matter)

I assume it was localized as "The Witch from Mercury" because that's what "Suisei no majo" means... Anime smile + sweatdrop As for G-Witch, it's the official short name, for two very good reasons: 1. it's much easier to write, read and pronounce in Japanese than "Mercury Witch" or any other alternative, and 2. it's short and easy to remember ("G" for Gundam plus "witch"), references the franchise, all of which make it much easier and effective to use as a hashtag on social media.
maric

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:29 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
maric wrote:
kotomikun wrote:
and referring to the show as "G-Witch."

For real though, I'll never understand why the incredibly obvious and better sounding "Mercury Witch" isn't the common name (or why it was even localized to the much clumsier sounding "The Witch from Mercury" for that matter)

I assume it was localized as "The Witch from Mercury" because that's what "Suisei no majo" means... Anime smile + sweatdrop As for G-Witch, it's the official short name, for two very good reasons: 1. it's much easier to write, read and pronounce in Japanese than "Mercury Witch" or any other alternative, and 2. it's short and easy to remember ("G" for Gundam plus "witch"), references the franchise, all of which make it much easier and effective to use as a hashtag on social media.

Just to note, "suisei no majo" can definitely also be translated as just "Mercury Witch" since the "no" particle is acting to make mercury (suisei) into an adjectival noun that describes witch (majo). If you were to translate "Tokyo no gakusei", you could either say "Students from/of Tokyo" or just "Tokyo students" since they both communicate the same thing. Depends on the context of the sentence, but I'd say for a title you should just go with whatever is more concise and memorable, even if some clarity is sacrificed.

Also yeah I get why that short name would be used for Japanese fans, but the other one seems more obvious for English fans. I suppose there's a lot more crossover these days though. Also the hashtag point makes sense too; I guess this stuff is just established by the official Twitter accounts at this point
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:20 pm Reply with quote
maric wrote:

Just to note, "suisei no majo" can definitely also be translated as just "Mercury Witch" since the "no" particle is acting to make mercury (suisei) into an adjectival noun that describes witch (majo). If you were to translate "Tokyo no gakusei", you could either say "Students from/of Tokyo" or just "Tokyo students" since they both communicate the same thing. Depends on the context of the sentence, but I'd say for a title you should just go with whatever is more concise and memorable, even if some clarity is sacrificed.

Yes, I'm perfectly aware of that - I know Japanese. (I translate from Japanese, too, well, used to translate, I don't have much time nowadays.) If I had to translate "Suisei no majo" into English I'd go for "the witch from Mercury" too, because to me "Mercury Witch" a) sounds just clumsy used as a title, especially because b) doesn't get the intended meaning across. We're talking about a witch who comes from Mercury. There's no Earth Witch and Jupiter Witch, as Mercury Witch would imply to someone unfamiliar with the setting - there's just this particular witch who happens to come from Mercury. It's like "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." - would you say "U.N.C.L.E. Man" instead?

Last edited by SHD on Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
AQuin1904

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:22 pm Reply with quote
maric wrote:

Also yeah I get why that short name would be used for Japanese fans, but the other one seems more obvious for English fans. I suppose there's a lot more crossover these days though. Also the hashtag point makes sense too; I guess this stuff is just established by the official Twitter accounts at this point

The adjective "Mercurian" would make more sense in that context. City names usually don't change when used as descriptors, but you don't call someone a "France student" or an "Africa diplomat." Just "mercury" before a noun makes me think of the metal, not the planet.

Also, "Mercury Witch" just sounds really awkward to my ear. I can't imagine that being the abbreviation people jump to even if official sources hadn't settled on "G-Witch" (maybe remembering "G-Reco"?). I'm guessing most English speakers would have gone with "WFM" or something.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:33 pm Reply with quote
maric wrote:

Also yeah I get why that short name would be used for Japanese fans, but the other one seems more obvious for English fans. I suppose there's a lot more crossover these days though. Also the hashtag point makes sense too; I wonder if this stuff is actually established by the official Twitter accounts at this point

Why are we arguing about "G-Witch" when my post (I egotistically assume it was the first line in my post that kicked off this little diversion) also had a "Sulemio" for everyone to get upset over?

Well, while we're arguing about language: I submit that "Mercury Witch" is poor English. It implies Mercury is a class of witch, like maybe "Hex Witch". I'd grant you "Mercurian Witch". Much like it wouldn't be "France Witch" but rather The Witch from France" or "French Witch". English is weird like that. A bit of a nightmare for non-native speakers. And Americans /runs.

And because *internet*: no, this post is not serious. It's very silly

[edit] Aww, man, typing on my phone at work... Everyone else got there first..
maric

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I'll concede that "Mercurian Witch" would be more grammatically correct, but I just don't think that matters that much here (also that has a different meaning in relation to astrology I think). Personally, I just think Mercury Witch sounds cooler/punchier (and that it's valid to sacrifice perfect grammar for aesthetics when dealing with a title), even if it's more vague about the fact that she's from Mercury, but I guess I'm in the minority here lol.

Side note, but the fact that it makes it sound like a class of witch is exactly what makes it sound better imo. Like yeah obviously in the show she's just a person who comes from Mercury and is called a witch, but the other way is a bit more fun.
zfunk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Something I noticed in this series, I wonder if having the title witch in the series is the reason, throughout the show men have become infatuated with our two main girls, and than misfortune follows them. Guel fell in love with Suletta and look what happened, he has this great fall of status, lost it all, fake Alan bonded with Suletta and he died.

And now Shaddiq, well in his case it is Miorine he has falling for, so maybe he is save because it is not Suletta who has cursed any man that falls for her. Is Moorine also a "witch"?

Also disappointed in Renee's motivation for hating Lilique it is petty, I was hoping for either something so petty that is funny, like she took her pudding, or she has a thing for big girls. The whole 12th backup boyfriend joke didn't land. Have it be about pudding would have been funnier.

But I do think the two rival dorms have a Class A and Class B from My Hero Academia feel. Meaning they will have their competition and stuff within the school environment, but in the real world they will probably team up.

Already see that set up with Renee and Lilique, I really think when the real plot heats up and deal with real villains, they are going to bond and team up.
Kuzu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:19 pm Reply with quote
zfunk wrote:
Something I noticed in this series, I wonder if having the title witch in the series is the reason, throughout the show men have become infatuated with our two main girls, and than misfortune follows them. Guel fell in love with Suletta and look what happened, he has this great fall of status, lost it all, fake Alan bonded with Suletta and he died.

And now Shaddiq, well in his case it is Miorine he has falling for, so maybe he is save because it is not Suletta who has cursed any man that falls for her. Is Moorine also a "witch"?

Also disappointed in Renee's motivation for hating Lilique it is petty, I was hoping for either something so petty that is funny, like she took her pudding, or she has a thing for big girls. The whole 12th backup boyfriend joke didn't land. Have it be about pudding would have been funnier.

But I do think the two rival dorms have a Class A and Class B from My Hero Academia feel. Meaning they will have their competition and stuff within the school environment, but in the real world they will probably team up.

Already see that set up with Renee and Lilique, I really think when the real plot heats up and deal with real villains, they are going to bond and team up.

Well it is a yuri series, gotta kill off the potential competition that would impede our girls getting together.

Surprised Guel's lasted this long tbh.

Episode was pretty good and showing Shaddiq's downfall was his lack of faith in anyone else...and ironically himself. He could have helped Miorine all those years ago, but he didn't have the cojones to step up and tried to help behind the scenes.

Too Miorine doesn't like or tolerate people trying to dictate her life, even if its to her own benefit. Sulleta may not be very business savvy, but she treats Miorine like a persona and that's all she wanted.
MagicianMan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of names, Vanadis is an alternate name for Freyja and the space station that was destroyed in the prologue, Folkvangr, is where Freyja rules over half the souls of dead warriors collected by the Valkyries.

We can guess from the Gundam silhouettes in the opening that Delling is involved in Gundam research of his own. So following that naming theme may imply the existence of a corresponding Odin Institute and Valhalla base involved in it's own, more openly militaristic, Gund-Arm technology development.

There could also be some foreshadowing there about both places being gathering places for the souls of dead warriors. Although that connection could also be attributed to the casualties Gundams inflicted on their pilots.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Pretty good thing all these pilots are like the most ace pilots in a Gundam show. Wouldn’t want these teens killed in these duels that have lasers going everywhere.

Every episode since the prologue is just more and more disappointing. I'm just sad.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
MagicianMan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Pretty good thing all these pilots are like the most ace pilots in a Gundam show. Wouldn’t want and if these teens killed in these duels that have lasers going everywhere.

Every episode since the prologue is just more and more disappointing. I'm just sad.

This show isn't interested in having a grounded, logical world. It's more interested in the theatrics of it's story and characters than the practicality of it's world building. It's not a flaw that aspects of the setting don't make real world sense, It's just that they want to tell a more farcical, theatrical story that the average war drama Gundam. Maybe you think that's not what Gundam is about. Well, this one is, and that's not going to change.

I know what it feels like for a franchise I was passionate about for decades to make a change in direction I was strongly against. But you're eventually going to have to let this go. Letting G-Witch live rent free in your head every week when you hate it isn't useful to you or anyone else.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:11 am Reply with quote
At this point I'm just waiting for Guel to FINALLY tell his Dad to piss off so he can join the Earth House.

I'm assuming when the "Gundam" shenanigans of this Gundam show REALLY start: the wars, the betrayals, the slapping, existential crises about children fighting adults wars, etc. that most of the principle characters will join together in that one house.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Regarding Suletta taking Miorine for granted as her bride, didn't Miorine basically tell her that their engagement was just for show? That as long as they were engaged it would keep other suitors away from Miorine and that as long as she escaped to Earth by the time she turned 17 they wouldn't have to go through with anything?

I mean, Miorine's feelings have obviously gone beyond that by this point, but Suletta still just sees Miorine as a (best) friend.

zfunk wrote:

I think what saved the joke was when Lilique said she turned down the invitation to lunch, Renee instantly went from being pissed about her 12th backup boyfriend being stolen to being pissed about her 12th backup boyfriend being disrespected. It showed that it WAS just a deliberately petty reason for her to pick a fight with Lilique. I'd wager that there's a real reason Renee doesn't like Lilique that Lilique is blissfully unaware of.
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:36 pm Reply with quote
zfunk wrote:

I thought it was hilarious, and also added to her characterization much more than if it was about something inconsequential like pudding or something. I also liked how they built up the joke, first to make it seem like she was jealous of Lilique for something, then it turns out it was over like Boyfriend #12, then it turns out that actually her problem was Lilique unwittingly offending her by refusing Boyfriend #12's invitation, bringing him shame as if he wasn't good enough for her (but good enough for Renee). Very Happy It kind of shows Renee as someone vain and selfish, but also loyal in her own way.
Amy192

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The episode title "More Than a Childhood Friend, But Not True Love" sums it up perfectly.

The episode title wasn't that though, it was "If I could Take One Step Toward You." and they really aren't anything more than childhood friends. I am not sure why you think that they are a good ship, he repeatedly doesn't view Miorine as someone with any agency. If he had acted differently for many years the ship could work, but at that point it wouldn't even be Shaddiq. Meanwhile we have the actual ship of Suletta and Miorine which is far more healthy, this episode went out of it's way to highlight how they view each other as people and have a lot of trust in each other.

And it's heavily underselling the duel to say they only won through the power of friendship; it was through Suletta and Aerial's bond, the trust between everyone (which is mirrored by Shaddiq not trusting anyone, and Sabina attempting to attack an ally to explode Aerial), and Miorine's understanding of how Shaddiq would fight

Last edited by Amy192 on Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 43