• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman: DOOMSDAY EDITION!

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:35 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
whats your problem dude. Is there a reason you feel the need to be totally condecending? You cut out the first half of my post and then act all like Im saying that downloads arent a problem. I realise that thats a problem. Saying that they will end up paying in the long run has very little bearing on the topic at hand. Especially since an individual choosing to pay isnt going to single handedly save the day. If you buy, but nobody else does you're just gonna end up paying both costs.

So don't buy things just because no one else is doing it? I think I just lost my faith in humanity.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I obviously didn't say that. Putting it that way makes it sound like Im saying "Its okay to do it because everyone else is." The point is that no single person downloading or not downloading is going to make or break the industry. You're expecting people to spend a significant amount of money to support the industry when what they end up doing is barely going to make a difference. Ofcourse the problem is that if everyone takes that attitude then it does cause a problem. Really this is why downloads are a problem. I feel its a very unfortunate situation because I don't feel its right to place blame on any particular group. I can't fault downloaders for being unwilling to spend their money when they don't have to just so theres one more guy buying instead of downloading. Does this mean its okay for them to download? I would say that they should buy. I sure won't be judgemental of them for not doing so though.

I think if that causes you to loose faith in humanity, you just have unfair expectations of humanity.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:31 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I obviously didn't say that. Putting it that way makes it sound like Im saying "Its okay to do it because everyone else is." The point is that no single person downloading or not downloading is going to make or break the industry. You're expecting people to spend a significant amount of money to support the industry when what they end up doing is barely going to make a difference. Ofcourse the problem is that if everyone takes that attitude then it does cause a problem. Really this is why downloads are a problem. I feel its a very unfortunate situation because I don't feel its right to place blame on any particular group. I can't fault downloaders for being unwilling to spend their money when they don't have to just so theres one more guy buying instead of downloading. Does this mean its okay for them to download? I would say that they should buy. I sure won't be judgemental of them for not doing so though.

I think if that causes you to loose faith in humanity, you just have unfair expectations of humanity.

What, my expectations of humanity are unfair because I expect people to pay for the things that interest them? I can't fathom how someone could enjoy a series and yet not want to support the industry and/or creators who made said series possible. Sure, I downloaded the Haruhi fansubs just like everyone else, but I deleted them the moment I heard the series had been licensed and started budgeting myself so I could afford the DVDs once they came out. I lost my job a few months back right after buying a new computer, and needless to say didn't have enough money for the last two volumes. As crazy as this might sound, I went without. But when I have enough extra income to start spending it on anime, those two discs are probably the first things I'll buy. Don't have money? Get a job. Still don't have enough money to buy your own DVDs? Rent. No credit card? Most places accept checks or even cash. That goes for ordering online as well; I know for a fact that CDJapan takes both cash and money orders, and they're overseas. There's no excuse for downloading anime other than outright selfishness, and if you think that that selfishness should be tolerated because 'you can't judge people for wanting to do things the easy way', well, there's nothing more to argue about.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

What, my expectations of humanity are unfair because I expect people to pay for the things that interest them? I can't fathom how someone could enjoy a series and yet not want to support the industry and/or creators who made said series possible. Sure, I downloaded the Haruhi fansubs just like everyone else, but I deleted them the moment I heard the series had been licensed and started budgeting myself so I could afford the DVDs once they came out. I lost my job a few months back right after buying a new computer, and needless to say didn't have enough money for the last two volumes. As crazy as this might sound, I went without. But when I have enough extra income to start spending it on anime, those two discs are probably the first things I'll buy. Don't have money? Get a job. Still don't have enough money to buy your own DVDs? Rent. No credit card? Most places accept checks or even cash. That goes for ordering online as well; I know for a fact that CDJapan takes both cash and money orders, and they're overseas. There's no excuse for downloading anime other than outright selfishness, and if you think that that selfishness should be tolerated because 'you can't judge people for wanting to do things the easy way', well, there's nothing more to argue about.

What part of no where in the defintion of fan or devotion does it say You have to pay money? You just said yourself you ran out of money- but you've already seen the show. You say that you'll go buy the last two discs.

From what some of the people imply around here- your seeing the show before hand means you should probably sell the first two discs in order to get the 3rd and the 4th- you're just fine because you've seen the show already.

What if someone else watched Haurhi and is going to have to wait years to buy those discs instead of a couple weeks like you?

When I was in High School a few of my friends in the computer club were either poor or their parents thought anime was horrible. They'd watch fansubs at night because they'd been intrested.
Their way of supporuting? Telling others who ahd the means to buy.
A friend and I were able to buy all the shows they saw- which amount to about $200.

I haven't figured it out yet- but if two people spend $200 and loan the dvds to friends (let says 10 friends) then its fine because they got $200? What about the other $1000 bucks they could have made?
Apparently its just water under the bridge.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
indrik

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:40 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:

Wow......I thought the idea sounded silly but it seems not...wow. Fansubbing vhs tapes, never would've thought of that heh. Yes VHS is older then me btw but not by much (I think?)

That's the way we did it in the 80s. Before Akira, that was (almost) all there was, as far as I know.
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I haven't figured it out yet- but if two people spend $200 and loan the dvds to friends (let says 10 friends) then its fine because they got $200?

AFAIK loaning is still legal, but if you read the dvd notices they say not to "loan." I am unsure if they mean loan in a business context (collateral?) or if they mean loan in the sense of lending to a friend, but I'm pretty sure they don't like either. I remember that sony was thinking of locking ps3 games to the single console, but decided not to. Well, they probably decided not to because they know customers would hate it. But, how much longer before everyone stops giving the customers any choice, because they have the technology and the laws to back them up on letting them tell you to do whatever the hell they want to tell you to do.

They already can make you jump through hoops, buy operating systems you don't need or want (windows), etc to play movies legally. Soon enough if given more authority they'll start demanding you to pay for each viewing (I'm aware this was done in the past, but with more backup, laws, copy protections they'll give it another shot).
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Still have to keep the customer happy, that's where competition comes in to play. Sure they could do all those things you mentioned, but then another company would show up and offer everything with greater freedom and the company attempting to do all those things you mentioned would soon be out of business.

That would work in a closed market, but in an open market companies want to make sure they're giving the customers what they want because if someone else does it better they lose sales and eventually possibly their business. Sure companies have some control, but they rely on the customers to maintain that position, so the customer is not powerless.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:28 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
whats your problem dude. Is there a reason you feel the need to be totally condecending? You cut out the first half of my post and then act all like Im saying that downloads arent a problem. I realise that thats a problem. Saying that they will end up paying in the long run has very little bearing on the topic at hand. Especially since an individual choosing to pay isnt going to single handedly save the day. If you buy, but nobody else does you're just gonna end up paying both costs.

I cut out the first half of the post because I had no comment on it and felt like saving space in the thread. Plus when did I say that this is all you're doing. Not once so don't make assumptions. If I felt that way I'd simply say so. I also fail to see how you think that paying the consequences in the long run has no bearing here. it involves the topic at hand does it not? Then I would it does have some bearing now doesn't it.

Xanas wrote:
Quote:

I haven't figured it out yet- but if two people spend $200 and loan the dvds to friends (let says 10 friends) then its fine because they got $200?

AFAIK loaning is still legal, but if you read the dvd notices they say not to "loan." I am unsure if they mean loan in a business context (collateral?) or if they mean loan in the sense of lending to a friend, but I'm pretty sure they don't like either.

I'm pretty sure the whole copyright notice is for the unauthorized reproduction or copying of said product. Not letting a friend borrow it to watch it.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:30 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

The issue at hand though, is that CSSYueh comes flying in here telling people that they're bad for downloading and that they should "do without" if they can't afford it when she clearly doesn't have to face that reality. Maybe its because she saves and doesnt spend money on other stuff, but it seems apparent that she's able to fairly easilly afford as much Anime as she wants. She says stuff like "do without" but she would never have to. It comes across as very hypocritical.

Even assuming she does make major other sacrifices to do so. Hell no she or anyone else isn't wrong for saving like that. Clearly nobody is saying they are. Its great that they do. I do think its bad for someone to expect others to make such extreme sacrifices inorder to buy Anime. Especially when they are so judgemental of anyone who isnt willing to. You, her and others love to tell us "You either save up or sacrifice something else to get something. Simple as that." But ya know, it isn't that simple thanks to downloads. I don't know about you guys but I'm not going to judge someone who isn't willing to make major sacrifices to buy Anime when they can get it for free.

My father was injured & disabled back before million dollar lawsuits were the norm. For getting crippled for life, he got a whopping $8000. I grew up on welfare. My folks could only afford second hand clothes so when I got tired of being teased for wearing Thrift Store clothes, I made my own money picking fruit (climbing 12 ft ladders to pick cherries & shimmying up & down apple trees with a 20 lbd sack of apples tied to me like modern baby carriers, babysitting, working as a candy-girl in a theater for free movie tickets).
I think my teen yrs were filled with "do without" & "earn your own money for your toys because mommy & daddy can't afford"

Any other whines that I don't know what I'm talking about?

I have to scramble now to get Samurai Champloo, Fate Stay Night, & Disgaea or gamble they'll vanish so I obviously do wait until it comes out at a price I'm willing to pay. Just last night I scoped out NHK & Red Garden & decided I could wait for a box
But no, I don't do without, do I
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
What, my expectations of humanity are unfair because I expect people to pay for the things that interest them?

When they can just get ot for free by donwloading? Yes.

Quote:
I can't fathom how someone could enjoy a series and yet not want to support the industry and/or creators who made said series possible.

This is a hugely flawed assumption anti-downloaders make. If I download a series, it must be becuase I don't want to support the industry. It couldn't be the fact that it will cost me 25 bucks a DVD to do so.

Obviously theres a huge difference between wanting to support the industry and being willing to spend your money to do so.

Quote:
There's no excuse for downloading anime other than outright selfishness, and if you think that that selfishness should be tolerated because 'you can't judge people for wanting to do things the easy way', well, there's nothing more to argue about.

I wouldn't exactly put it that way, but really thats is sortof what it comes down to. People like you are so judgemental of someone for doing this. I just don't think thats fair. You're expecting people to spend alot of money and go to all this trouble why? Becuase its the right thing to do? Sorry, think what you will but I'm not going to blame people who download in this situation.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:00 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

The issue at hand though, is that CSSYueh comes flying in here telling people that they're bad for downloading and that they should "do without" if they can't afford it when she clearly doesn't have to face that reality. Maybe its because she saves and doesnt spend money on other stuff, but it seems apparent that she's able to fairly easilly afford as much Anime as she wants. She says stuff like "do without" but she would never have to. It comes across as very hypocritical.

Even assuming she does make major other sacrifices to do so. Hell no she or anyone else isn't wrong for saving like that. Clearly nobody is saying they are. Its great that they do. I do think its bad for someone to expect others to make such extreme sacrifices inorder to buy Anime. Especially when they are so judgemental of anyone who isnt willing to. You, her and others love to tell us "You either save up or sacrifice something else to get something. Simple as that." But ya know, it isn't that simple thanks to downloads. I don't know about you guys but I'm not going to judge someone who isn't willing to make major sacrifices to buy Anime when they can get it for free.

My father was injured & disabled back before million dollar lawsuits were the norm. For getting crippled for life, he got a whopping $8000. I grew up on welfare. My folks could only afford second hand clothes so when I got tired of being teased for wearing Thrift Store clothes, I made my own money picking fruit (climbing 12 ft ladders to pick cherries & shimmying up & down apple trees with a 20 lbd sack of apples tied to me like modern baby carriers, babysitting, working as a candy-girl in a theater for free movie tickets).
I think my teen yrs were filled with "do without" & "earn your own money for your toys because mommy & daddy can't afford"

Any other whines that I don't know what I'm talking about?

I have to scramble now to get Samurai Champloo, Fate Stay Night, & Disgaea or gamble they'll vanish so I obviously do wait until it comes out at a price I'm willing to pay. Just last night I scoped out NHK & Red Garden & decided I could wait for a box
But no, I don't do without, do I

I don't know how old you are- but how long have you been a fan of anime? Really.

You just named a list of titles you're going out to buy. Not everyone has that luxary. Trying to compare buying anime to getting better clothes- thats stupid. having clothes on your back is much more important.

What does working for free tickets have to do with anything? Unless you're selling them on the side for money its completely irrelvent.

And I don't know if you've picked up a paper recently (or maybe its just my neck of the woods) but jobs for teens are being snatched up by adults loosing their jobs. Last summer (technically last winter) three friends i put in over 100 applications at different places.

To say, we're still jobless for next summer.

I just reread your statement and you call waiting on a (guessing) boxset doing without?
Right... Rolling Eyes

Good luck with all that money you have to throw around.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:15 pm Reply with quote
So some aspects of the economy aren't quite as good as one could hope, but when you believe theft of non-essentials to be the solution you have to also understand that doing so only makes matters worse by denying people payment for their hard work and likely, in the end, costing people their jobs. A bit of an unfortunate situation when your solution becomes the problem.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:24 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

Right... Rolling Eyes

Good luck with all that money you have to throw around.

I don't see how all this "boo hoo i'm broke" stuff entitles you to all the anime you can watch for free without the permission of the original artist.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
So some aspects of the economy aren't quite as good as one could hope, but when you believe theft of non-essentials to be the solution you have to also understand that doing so only makes matters worse by denying people payment for their hard work and likely, in the end, costing people their jobs. A bit of an unfortunate situation when your solution becomes the problem.

As it was told to me by some of my friends when we talked about this situations: "i'll pay when I get the means to pay. however long it takes."

I can't hate on people who don' have the means and still enjoy and love something. Was it called theft back in the day when there wasn't even a small market here and people were sending fansubbed vhs through the mail?

Probably not. I'm sure those people didn't consider themselves thevies.

And Zac- that particular statement deals with what I said a few posts back.

Actually I'm broke because I have been buying. I just don't like it when people who are fortunte like us look at everyone who isn't as blessed as a dirty theif. And its even worse when someone who seems to buy everything starts to preach like waiting on a $60 boxset is doing without.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:30 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
My folks could only afford second hand clothes so when I got tired of being teased for wearing Thrift Store clothes, I made my own money picking fruit (climbing 12 ft ladders to pick cherries & shimmying up & down apple trees with a 20 lbd sack of apples tied to me like modern baby carriers, babysitting, working as a candy-girl in a theater for free movie tickets).

And if you could have just illegally downloaded nice clothes? Honestly would you really have done all that? If you say yes, I won't call you a liar but I will say I'm skeptical. Regardless, even if you truely would, its not fair to expect others to do the same. If you're willing to do that, congrats. You're a shining example of amazing moral fibre. Again though, Im just not going to hold it against people who arent like that. just becuase they don't take it to that extreme doesn't mean theyre some immoral, evil person.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 15