• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Perfect Blue/Paprika Director Satoshi Kon Passes Away

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NGE1113

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:10 pm Reply with quote
This news is terrible beyond what words can describe, and is easily something I wish I didn't just read. My interest in anime blossomed after Eva, but there were several titles before that that first piqued my interest in the medium. One of these was Perfect Blue, which holds two distinctions: It was the first to deliver a sense of "What the--" from the various animated works I had seen before. For someone who did not truly comprehend how animation could be used to masterfully tell a story, this was a true wake-up call. It was also a part of the first anime purchase I ever made. From those three VHS tapes, only Perfect Blue is still around, albeit in DVD format now.

To Satoshi Kon, I hope you find peace, and to his family and friends, solace and comfort during these times.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I've yet to see his movies, but I have the Geneon boxset of Paranoia Agent and loved it, the man's talent is insanely obvious in it. I'm definitely making buying his movies a higher priority now.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I can't remember the last time I was so broken up about the passing of someone I didn't know personally.

The world lost an incredible artist and director way, way too soon.

Condolences to his family, friends and colleagues.

I really can't think of anything to say. Life is unpredictable and often unfair. I'm deeply saddened by his passing.
Kelly

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:18 pm Reply with quote
It's hard to know what to say regarding tragic news like this which will send the fandom reeling for weeks and perhaps even months. Mr. Kon didn't make any of my personal favorites and his work was sort of hit-or-miss for me, but his impact on mature anime is undeniable, and I imagine he has many fans in shock right now.

I will remember him most for Tokyo Godfathers being the first genuinely moving anime I ever saw, and Magnetic Rose still being the best horror anime I've ever watched IMHO.

Above all, of course, this is a personal tragedy, and my prayers to his family tonight.
bigheart711

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:33 pm Reply with quote
This Is very VERY unfortunate news. I've been a fan of his work for about three years now. My condolences go to his family and friends too. A lot of good things happened to me today, but this horrific event overpowers them all with sadness and grief. Sad Therefore, I now dedicate this message and all those events to Satoshi-Kun. One of the best the anime community has ever known. May he rest in peace. -_-
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I made my doctoral thesis about his work, and had the opportunity to interview him in 2006. This is a great loss for the anime community and the admirers of his work. Sad
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:36 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
What?! I didn't even know he was sick. This is really sad, and I think I'll be in a bit of shock today over this sudden passing. The animation world has now lost a major gem.

I agree. The past year or two have been simply horrible. I mean how many does this make now? Anime visionaries need to stop dying for a few years now. This is just getting depressing the talent that is passing on.
Weiss_Yohji

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Why do good people have to die so prohibitively early?

Goodnight sweet prince.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Parsifal24 wrote:
Dang 47 is way too young to die in the grand scheme of things condolences.

Couldn't agree with you more. This is really terrible news. I'm so sorry for his family and loved ones, and of course the man himself. Crying or Very sad
Vicserr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Sad news indeed, he died young, I didn't even know he suffered from the Big C, hopefully his body of work will be testament to his talent, RIP, you shall be missed.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Vicserr wrote:
Sad news indeed, he died young, I didn't even know he suffered from the Big C

The report of cancer as the cause comes secondhand from Gainax producer Yasuhiro Takeda ("I heard it was cancer") and has not been officially confirmed yet.

Last edited by Egan Loo on Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jessica Hart

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:53 pm Reply with quote
So sad.. he wasn't just one of the best animators, he was one of the best directors of all time: period. Sad to see him go so soon since his debut. Crying or Very sad
GARlock

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Oh my god. I did a double take when I read the title of the article, hoping I misread it. This is just heartbreaking. The man had amazing vision and talent and he will most certainly be missed. RIP
Novium

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Such a shame really, and he was one of my favorite creators too... I only hope this tragedy can help bring in more fans and recognition to his works.

I am deeply saddened by this news.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:01 pm Reply with quote
this friggin' SUCKS. He was a man who had a million more ideas he could have given to the art form and his passing was DECADES too early.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 19