• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Amnesia (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:46 am Reply with quote
I would say could be a dog cage from a pet store...but they don't actually look like that. :<

They have bars going across...
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:36 am Reply with quote
Everything is fun and romance until your boyfriend spoiler[who isn't really your boyfriend decides to drug you and lock you in a bigass cage]

I had to breath and count to ten or I would've come here still raging about the stupidity of this episode. Last week I said I was done getting angry at the girl for being so passive, but this is just whole new level. The guy's a total creep and not only does she not make a single attempt to escape, but she thinks his behavior is justified.

Thank you Japan, this is definitely the kind of healthy relationship every girl should aspire to. Like, seriously, my heart is beating so [expletive] fast.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:52 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Thank you Japan, this is definitely the kind of healthy relationship every girl should aspire to.

Oi, don't blame the entire country for it. =_= That's not cool. You know perfectly well there are plenty of shoujo with actual healthy relationships!
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Since media is a product of culture, yes I'm blaming the whole country and its preposterous idea of "ideal relationships according to girls" for everything in this show that makes me mad.
rheiders

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:56 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Since media is a product of culture, yes I'm blaming the whole country and its preposterous idea of "ideal relationships according to girls" for everything in this show that makes me mad.

Okay, now that's just silly. This show is a late-night otome game adaptation. I don't think it's really reflective of how your average, non-fujoshi Japanese person might feel. I think most Japanese people would be just as disturbed by the message here as we are. I'm not saying Japan is super-feminist or anything--it's really not, at all. In fact, I often find myself ranting and raving about all their sexist BS. I'm just saying that it's a bit unfair to stereotype an entire country just by looking at the most weird and niche of their products. (Sorta like those people who think all Japanese people love watching tentacle p0rn...)

Plenty of more mainstream shoujo also has some ugly messages about relationships and a woman's place, but it's generally more subtle than being drugged and stuffed into a hamster cage by your boyfriend xD
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:02 pm Reply with quote
rheiders wrote:
I'm just saying that it's a bit unfair to stereotype an entire country just by looking at the most weird and niche of their products.

Yes, completely unfair and ignorant to boot. =_=

People don't look at Twilight and go "Wow, America, your literature really sucks".

This is the same as that. Actually even less so because Amnesia's not nearly as popular. (I'm pretty sure).

And I'd like to point out that yeah, Heroine justifying Touma's actions isn't good...but it's not NEARLY as bad as her falling in love with him, which she clearly is not.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:23 am Reply with quote
It may be unfair on my part, but this episode came right as I'm having a big argument with my Japanese teacher about sexism in Japan (been going at it for around a week) due to women's place in Japanese society -a lot of which is reflected in language- and what an average Japanese woman can expect for her future. The teacher reproached me because, when using informal speech, women are expected to speak with soft, gentle voices so as to feign kindness and frailty and I didn't want to do it. It may be my childish western sensibility, but it made me extremely aggravated, then I watched this episode and snapped. I understand that the "relationship" portrayed here is not common rule -far from a trope-, but it still sickens me to no end that they expect girls to dig this shit, and moreover, place themselves in the Heroine's shoes and thus identify with her decisions and attitudes, that they're trying to sell the whole "drugged and caged" as a very sweet and romantic way to show one cares.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Wowzers. I take back everything I said last week about Toma. Dude is messed up. Shocked What do you wanna bet that the diary shows that this world's heroine loves Toma so much but was unable to tell him, then they will sit down, talk it out, share a few laughs, promise to start over, and then she dies and then we jump to crazy green guy?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:47 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Thank you Japan, this is definitely the kind of healthy relationship every girl should aspire to. Like, seriously, my heart is beating so [expletive] fast.

She goes what, three or four days without using the bathroom? Now that's healthy. And he kisses her after about 70 hours of being knocked out. Yuck.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
She goes what, three or four days without using the bathroom? Now that's healthy

Um....I think it's safe to assume this anime treats bodily functions the same as Star Trek. Rolling Eyes
JustinGallimore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
This episode was just creepy, but then again I felt for both characters and how they felt toward each other.
LKK

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Quote:
She goes what, three or four days without using the bathroom? Now that's healthy

Um....I think it's safe to assume this anime treats bodily functions the same as Star Trek. Rolling Eyes

I assumed that Toma's "Ask me if you want anything" was code for water and bathroom breaks.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

spoiler[Wow, that girl sure got around.
So far it seems she was with all of them at some point.
Flashbacks to her past were kinda sweet.
She let go of the whole caged thing rather easily.
Can't decide if she's an airhead, or just stupid or both.
Honestly, I don't get what they all see in her..
The world switching part was interesting though.
Seems like she's not the only one experiencing that phenomenon.]
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:34 pm Reply with quote
On 10....

Wow....that was pretty action-packed for this show. Anime hyper
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Toma, all of that would've been a heck more romantic if you hadn't spoiler[drugged her, caged her and threatened to rape her.]

Honestly disappointed with how spoiler[she got killed. I first thought Toma would go ballistic and kill her by accident, and at some point I entertained the thought that a piano would drop on her head while she was at the hospital, but my pet theory was that Ikki's fans would beat her to a pulp. I don't even know what purpose those girls serve(d) to this show, now that they apologized... I mean... that so overall stupid and inconsequential to the plot]

Oh well, at least Ukyo -in this world- seems average sweet and caring -spoiler[if you ignore his other-world persona who threw her off a building]- though I'm not holding my breath. He'll find a way to be horrible or creepy in no time

Something I've been pondering on for a while, everytime she dies in each world, does it mean that the original "her" from that world dies too? What I mean is that this girl existed in all those worlds prior to losing her memory, and apparently, she's just skipping from world to world, replacing each world's "heroine". But when she dies, does that world's heroine cease to exist too?

Nevermind, this show isn't worth such deep pondering
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 16