• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey Answerfans!

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
petran79

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I think there are cases where some companies hired fansubbers to translate some series. I've read this occured in Poland.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Cephus wrote:
Apparently, what the R1 companies are doing isn't what the fans want, because if it was... the fans would be BUYING IT! Sales wouldn't suck. The simple fact is, R1 companies aren't producing what people are willing to buy, but R1 companies are more terrified of actually having to change their failing business practices to provide what fans actually do want. It's easier to just point fingers and whine than it is to make a fundamental change in their business philosophy.

You're assuming the consumer is honorable enough to pay for a product that can be obtained illegally with little or no legal risk provided it was offered in that fashion. History easily demonstrates that if people can obtain anime illegally for free without any worries, even if the product is inferior, they will do so rather than pay.

Not to mention saying the industry must adapt or die is selfish and pathetic. That's like saying that someone can break in to your house and take all they want and that it is your responsibility to adapt to the fact they can take what they please or give in. That's just stupid, you're essentially robbing the rights of others and telling them that since you can do so that they must now adjust or be removed.

Such an argument also demonstrates insane bias and an inability to actually meet in the middle or compromise, which demonstrates you are also unwilling to discuss the topic, but rather shove your stance down other peoples throats. If that's the case then you are done here, end of story. This is a discussion, not your soapbox to preach your stance towards others. This is the last warning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lackofcheese

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:37 pm Reply with quote
krelyan wrote:
However, what I was trying to get across earlier is that it is just not feasible to put out such a product that will make fansubs “obsolete.” It’s requiring the product to compete with fast, free, (arguably) quality and actual digital copy.

It's obvious that money has to be made somehow, and making people pay for their anime is clearly the best way, and hence it's obvious that on price the anime industry can't compete.

However, with translation before release, they can at least compete on the speed front. As for the digitcal copy, the anime industry is perfectly capable of releasing high quality online material.

Most of all, however, I'd say that legality and morality aren't completely valueless to people. It's just that when what they get by shirking on them is something they want far more, they're likely to do so.
Cephus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
You're assuming the consumer is honorable enough to pay for a product that can be obtained illegally with little or no legal risk provided it was offered in that fashion. History easily demonstrates that if people can obtain anime illegally for free without any worries, even if the product is inferior, they will do so rather than pay.

They're certainly honorable enough to buy single songs by the millions off iTunes, aren't they? It isn't like you can't get any music you want for free any time you want it. This disproves your claim.

Quote:
Not to mention saying the industry must adapt or die is selfish and pathetic.

Welcome to the wonderful world of business, *ALL* industries must adapt or die. That's reality.

Quote:
That's like saying that someone can break in to your house and take all they want and that it is your responsibility to adapt to the fact they can take what they please or give in.

That's got to be one of the most idiotic analogies I've ever seen, I don't even know where to begin. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
That's just stupid, you're essentially robbing the rights of others and telling them that since you can do so that they must now adjust or be removed.

The world no longer revolves around DVD sales, even mainstream Hollywood has started moving toward a downloadable format. What you're basically suggesting is that the guy who wants to sell music on 8-track should be allowed to and the fact that the consumer doesn't want to buy it on 8-track is irrelevant.

Quote:
Such an argument also demonstrates insane bias and an inability to actually meet in the middle or compromise, which demonstrates you are also unwilling to discuss the topic, but rather shove your stance down other peoples throats. If that's the case then you are done here, end of story. This is a discussion, not your soapbox to preach your stance towards others. This is the last warning.
Rolling Eyes

You mean like you're doing, right? Sure, let's see some good old censorship while you're at it, it just proves I'm right.
lackofcheese

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:

So you claim, but there's evidence to the contrary also.

Keonyn wrote:
Not to mention saying the industry must adapt or die is selfish and pathetic. That's like saying that someone can break in to your house and take all they want and that it is your responsibility to adapt to the fact they can take what they please or give in. That's just stupid, you're essentially robbing the rights of others and telling them that since you can do so that they must now adjust or be removed..

It's selfish and pathetic, yes, you're right. However, selfishness in itself is one of the core principles in capitalist society - and it works. Sure, I agree with you - if just about every anime fan suddenly decided they would go out and buy whatever it is that the anime industry offers them, then that would be a positive outcome in that the anime industry wouldn't die. Do you really think that having the entire anime fan community change their stance is even a remote possibility though?

On the other hand, I think that expecting the anime industry to offer a product closer to what fansubs offer is exactly what you say we should be looking for - a compromise. The anime industry will offer products similar to what we see in fansubs right now, while the anime fans will be willing to pay for it...

As for the metaphor of breaking into someone's house, that's a horrible one. It perpetuates the copyright infringement = stealing argument, and that's damaging to society. As things stand, copyright is a legal right, but the need for its existence is a topic for debate, and not a given fact.

In any case, it is a core principle of economics that money is made by making your product as close as possible to what the consumer demands. To expect consumers to buy something completely different to what they want simply for the sake of a business is utter stupidity in capitalist society.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty familiar with economics, given my career, but thanks for the lesson.

Quote:
So you claim, but there's evidence to the contrary also.

No, but I'm not basing my entire stance and argument around it either.

Sounds to me like you're still demanding the industry to adapt to what you want of them, which is basically an economic situation that no business could survive and continue to produce a quality product.

Doesn't sound to me like you're looking to meet in the middle and that your "compromise" is simply reliant on demands that companies offer you what you get out of theft. Whether you like it or not they work hard and put a lot of man hours in to these productions and they deserve the right to be paid for working the same as you deserve that paycheck you get for doing your job. You're still dismissing the rights of others and I fail to see how that is not harmful.

You're right, they do need to make their product as close as possible to consumer demands. But "as possible" needs to have some accountability there, and so far that isn't being accounted for. Rather people are seeming to demand the industry be reduced to slavery. They get whatever they want for nothing, and that can be accomplished through no other means. While it may be stupid (and I'd watch it with the insults) to demand people buy something completely different to what they want for the sake of business may not be the wisest method; consumers demanding a method of product production that an industry and the people whose livelihood depends on it can not survive on just because they don't feel like paying is equally as bad. You're still demonstrating no desire to meet in the middle at all, but rather still demanding the middle come to you.

Digital distribution is likely the future, but not in such an absolute way as you're demanding and the industries will still need to charge to the degree they can survive. I won't deny that some adaptation needs to occur, but I'm not entirely convinced we're in a position yet to convert. Personally, given the option I would still buy DVD's as I then get a solid hard copy for my money and I would prefer that option remain available. Of course, modern technology has opened other avenues and it would be wise of the distributors to explore those avenues. I can understand their restraint though due to the costs involved and the risk it presents.

Cephus wrote:
Welcome to the wonderful world of business, *ALL* industries must adapt or die. That's reality.

I'm an economics major, I'm pretty familiar with the how the business world works and I'm afraid it's not quite so simple. Thanks for playing though. Last I checked you don't invent reality. Demonstrate that you are the programmer of this matrix and we'll continue this redundant discussion. Until then, I think you broke your record.

Cephus wrote:
That's got to be one of the most idiotic analogies I've ever seen, I don't even know where to begin.

Find a place and start or don't bother responding to it. You provide nothing to a discussion by quoting and just saying "that's stupid". It is a pretty foolish request, but it seems in line with the requests of others.

Cephus wrote:
You mean like you're doing, right? Sure, let's see some good old censorship while you're at it, it just proves I'm right.

Saying, "OMG that must mean I'm right" stopped working in 1st grade. I'm perfectly willing to work in the middle and have stated in the past that offering digital distribution is in the industries best interest. I also don't ignore the fact however that many people still want hard copies, which has been demonstrated repeatedly here and in previous threads. So killing off a means of distribution is a pointless crusade since there is still demand, whether you like it or not.

I'm flexible and open to discussion, but you are not apparently and have demonstrated in the past of this thread that you are completely unwilling to discuss anything that doesn't meet your demands. Call it what you will, be it censorship or whatever, but this is a discussion forum for people who are actually willing to discuss the topic. If you are simply here to preach and demand others agree with you then you are not discussing anything and that does little more than degrade the thread and create a hostile environment for people who are actually looking to discuss the topic. Am I censoring you? Perhaps, but you are effectively doing the same to others by simply preaching to them and demanding they latch to your viewpoint. You've been saying the same thing for pages and have consistently ignored the comments of others and have only blasted them with more of your preaching and redundant claims that aren't even backed up with legitimate information.

If you want to discuss the topic, then discuss the topic. If you want to preach, go find a church. Frankly these topics will never stop as long as inflexible people just preach back and forth over and over and over and we have no intention of keeping redundtant neverending arguments on page 1 for all eternity. So yes, at some point we say "enough is enough".

Last edited by Keonyn on Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
krelyan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:12 pm Reply with quote
lackofcheese wrote:
However, with translation before release, they can at least compete on the speed front. As for the digitcal copy, the anime industry is perfectly capable of releasing high quality online material.

But can it do so without the expense of the other factors I listed? I don't see a way it can. As for speed, it would require licensing the show before it airs which would entail a fair amount of risk. Also, I would reasonably assume that this would undermine the Japanese TV broadcasting rights/contract.

Cephus wrote:
They're certainly honorable enough to buy single songs by the millions off iTunes, aren't they? It isn't like you can't get any music you want for free any time you want it. This disproves your claim.

Ah, but is iTunes drawing of users that previously downloaded the free music or is it drawing its user base off customers that formerly purchased CDs and have moved on to a digital format? Wink

I still think we're a ways off for true digital distribution on video files. I know I certainly don't have the anywhere near the bandwidth required nor do I expect it to be available in my area any time soon. At least in the United States, it would take a long time to install the necessary groundwork that would allow the true high-speed connections to the masses and the Government does not appear to be rushing ahead with it.
Xanas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:

Sounds to me like you're still demanding the industry to adapt to what you want of them

Is that all that unusual? Similar demands exist regardless of industry. Aside from that, is it right to say someone is "demanding" when they simply state what they are willing to accept. If the industry doesn't want to do it, they don't have to. But they'll lose the money from those who "demand" it their way, just like any other business will lose if it doesn't meet customer demands.

Quote:

Doesn't sound to me like you're looking to meet in the middle

The middle is wherever the companies decide to meet at the end of the day in order to make whatever money they are able. Instead you expect the consumers to do what the businesses want even when they aren't meeting their expectations?

Quote:

Rather people are seeming to demand the industry be reduced to slavery.

I am wondering how you define "slavery." I don't like my job much. I still do it because i get paid. I have the freedom to choose another job or to do nothing at all. Slaves have none of those freedoms. If these companies would rather make something other than anime, or ignore the demands of a large portion of their users because they think they are unreasonable, that's their prerogative. But it's also the prerogative of the consumers making those demands not to buy anything.

Keonyn wrote:

I can understand their restraint though due to the costs involved and the risk it presents.

The risk of doing nothing has proven to be very high. No solution can be found in avoiding change.

It seems odd to me that you have argued that you don't think people are "honorable" enough to do the right thing, and yet you expect them to be more likely to do the right thing when their expectations are outright ignored. I suppose if the risks are really so high that the industry can't try anything else and if "it's not time to convert yet" that they can continue to ignore fansubs. That's about the only choice they have, unless they actually think stronger enforcement is going to encourage people to love the industry and start buying dvds.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Is that all that unusual? Similar demands exist regardless of industry. Aside from that, is it right to say someone is "demanding" when they simply state what they are willing to accept. If the industry doesn't want to do it, they don't have to. But they'll lose the money from those who "demand" it their way, just like any other business will lose if it doesn't meet customer demands.

Demands still need to be flexible. I can demand you step out in front of a bus, but I should hope you wouldn't do that simply because I demanded it. The industry needs to be flexible for the benefit of the consumer, and through that themselves, of course. The consumer also needs to be flexible to allow for the industry to survive. It's a two way street.

Quote:
The middle is wherever the companies decide to meet at the end of the day in order to make whatever money they are able. Instead you expect the consumers to do what the businesses want even when they aren't meeting the expectations?

Of course not, but I do believe it is fair people be a bit less demanding of the industry and consider that there are people out there making this stuff that need their paychecks too.

Quote:
I am wondering how you define "slavery." I don't like my job much. I still do it because i get paid. I have the freedom to choose another job or to do nothing at all. Slaves have none of those freedoms. If these companies would rather make something other than anime, or ignore the demands of a large portion of their users because they think they are unreasonable, that's their prerogative. But it's also the prerogative of the consumers making those demands not to buy anything.

It's not slavery in the sense of forcing someone to do as you tell them without a choice. It's similar in the sense that these people, who've essentially trained and devoted their lives and skills to this industry would then be told they have to give away their product with no regard towards their well-being or survival.

Quote:
The risk of doing nothing has proven to be very high. No solution can be found in avoiding change.

It seems odd to me that you have argued that you don't think people are "honorable" enough to do the right thing, and yet you expect them to be more likely to do the right thing when their expectations are outright ignored. I suppose if the risks are really so high that they industry can't try anything else and if "it's not time to convert yet" that they can continue to ignore fansubs. That's about the only choice they have, unless they actually think stronger enforcement is going to encourage people to love the industry and start buying dvds.

I don't believe their expectations should be ignored, but I do believe they shouldn't ignore the expectations of the industry either. There will always be freeloaders as long as the option of theft is available, no amount of change is going to resolve that frankly.

The industry also does need to adapt in order to meet the consumer demands for digital distribution. The entertainment industry also needs to adapt to provide a more flexible and functional way of integrating this digital distribution with current A/V standards, so I don't put it all on just the anime industry either. These are all points that I agree with, although I'll stick with a hard copy myself.

My main case is that I think some people are going a bit far in demanding the industry adapt in a manner in which it can not survive with no flexibility in their demands for the well being. Claiming what's right and freedom and so on and so forth, while ignore those same rights and freedoms of the other side. I have no belief that the industry is heading in the right direction if it continues to rely on DVD sales alone, but the demands some people are placing in regards to digital distribution are a bit unrealistic as well and I'm frankly not convinced they're thinking of anyone but themselves. For a society and economy to function people need to consider all parties.

Otherwise, the main thing I even came here to say before I got a bit too caught up in the comments is that the redundant people need to simmer down a bit and lay off the preaching with no regard for discussion. This doesn't apply to you Xanas, you made good points and I hope I answered effectively.
Blue_Mage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:25 pm Reply with quote
And here I was exercising sufficient self-restraint not to post in this thread again. Ah well.

Keonyn, I think you're getting dangerously close to a reversal of the law of supply and demand. Marketers the world over know that it isn't their job to create, or even to sell a product. It's to create demand. I've had a number of people come at me from different aspects of my life (one of them is a no-good bum of a relative) with this strange idea that because they have created a product, someone has to buy it. That's just not how it works. Except maybe in the case of Apple...

So yes, as consumers and as fans, we need to support an industry we appreciate. But that does not mean that we should support it simply because they produce anime and we like anime. They need to create the demand for their product. That could be accomplished in a number of ways: by taking fansubbers out of the picture through legal means, be it lawsuits or DRM; by working with fansubbers to get a better tailored product out faster; by ignoring fansubbers entirely and creating a product that consumers just really want to buy. It doesn't really matter, but to be honest, legalities of intellectual property aside for a moment, it's the responsibility of the company to see that it makes a profit. Not the responsibility of the consumer.

And I do apologize. I realize the point of this thread was to discuss responses to the question of whether companies involved in the anime industry should work with fansubbers, and if so, how. I haven't replied to either of those questions in this post, but it certainly helped to clarify a few things in my own mind. I'll go back to shutting up now.

Random amusement on my part: the automatic spellchecker thinks both anime and fansubber are spelled incorrectly.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:05 am Reply with quote
Heh, don't get me started on Apple.

I never expected people to support something they have no interest in. I don't expect people to buy a title they don't care for. I'm not sure how implied that but that is not my stance.

The demand for their product is produced by producing a quality product that people would want to watch. If the anime industry took to producing 3fps animations of brawling stick figures I wouldn't expect people to buy that or support that unless, for some odd reason, they felt that was quality.

It is on the responsibility of the industry to create the demand. That is done by adapting to distribution and developing a quality product. However, as a consumer it is also the consumers responsibility to support that industry if they appreciate the product. I don't expect people to go out and buy every anime ever made, or even just a show they think is okay. But if they really like a show, then yes, they should support it. A middle ground still needs to be obtained. The industry needs to produce a product to meet demands, but the demands have to be practical to the point the industry can still survive. Obviously if they just give it all away for free, we'll be seeing 50 episodes of those stick figures before long.

Legal means aren't going to work as it would cost the industry far too much money to take legal action. Working with them isn't practical either because US labor laws would require those fansubbers be paid since the industry is a for profit industry, therefore they wouldn't actually save money. The best option for them would be to ignore the fansubbers and develop a competing product. It isn't the ideal situation, but given the alternatives it's the only practical answer.

You are right though. This has gone OT for long enough, so yeah, think I'll step out as well.
mrploddy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:50 am Reply with quote
Not withstanding a lot of the legal and contractual issues etc etc but what is to stop the anime industry collaborating to create a central site similar to the model adopted by the BBC with their Iplayer in the UK.

I think thats an absolutely great idea. Iplayer is IP restricted so that only UK IP's can watch the flash bashed streams so whats to stop something like that being developed where the contract means that as soon as ADR for a show in Japanese is finished that the script gets passed over to American licensors to produce a translation and then within 24 - 48 hours of it finishing airing the site can put up a free stream for 7 days for people who wanna watch the show but don't care about collectioning THEN you have better quality download to own and DVD's released at a later point.

A lot of the reason for the delay contractual/legal issues aside is the Japanese are afraid of reverse importation because series are significantly cheaper in the states than buying R2's from Japan. So wouldn't an Iplayer based model work as a suitable alternative and stand in till the normal DVD planning and producing processes are completed then of course those who want them can still carry on and buy them.

Obviously such a centralised site could have promotional items. Eg an advert for a Funi thinpack on a Funi steam page and so on or the likes of rightstuff could advertise as well appropriately...

Like Tofu said a lot of people just wanna watch it once and then forget about it so wouldn't that sort of idea work?.....

-mrploddy
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:11 am Reply with quote
Cephus wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
If you still are asking that than you have not paid attention the other 12 pages here or any of the other plethora of related threads you yourself have posted in. You sir have your blinders well and truly on obviously.

Considering most shows are fansubbed before they're even licensed in R1, please explain how the fansubbers can be stealing from R1 licensees before they even exist?

Or are you just going to keep making the same tired, empty assertions?

You don't just have blinders on, you simply are blind. You answered your own question to me. How can fansubbers being stealing from the shows before they even exist? For starters regardless of it being available in an R1 format it's still stealing. Before or after it gets dubbed in English it is still the illegal reproduction of someone else's material. You seem to think that point doesn't matter until it's dubbed in English. Two, by fansubbing every damn series before it ever reaches the shores internationally you're cutting a huge chunk of profit right out from underneath of them because when it does come here people have already seen it so why buy/rent it?
lackofcheese

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:20 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Doesn't sound to me like you're looking to meet in the middle and that your "compromise" is simply reliant on demands that companies offer you what you get out of theft. Whether you like it or not they work hard and put a lot of man hours in to these productions and they deserve the right to be paid for working the same as you deserve that paycheck you get for doing your job. You're still dismissing the rights of others and I fail to see how that is not harmful.

Again you use the term "theft", I wish people would stop that. The correct term is "copyright infringement", and the difference is significant. I'm not dismissing copyright, I'm just questioning it. I'll clarify my thoughts - the right to control the copying of something you created is not a straightforward, natural right; it is arguable as to whether or not it's needed, and it's obvious that the internet makes copyright highly impractical. What I'm really saying is that new business models not inherently dependent upon it are required, and copyright reform (or replacement) is as well.

I recommend just about everyone read the following article by Karl Fogel, The Promise of a Post-Copyright World:-
http://questioncopyright.org/promise

Before copyright reform and that of business models based on it can be expected, however, I do agree that people need to be willing to pay for legal products that offer what they desire, even faced with free illegal ones.

Keonyn wrote:

You're right, they do need to make their product as close as possible to consumer demands. But "as possible" needs to have some accountability there, and so far that isn't being accounted for. Rather people are seeming to demand the industry be reduced to slavery. They get whatever they want for nothing, and that can be accomplished through no other means. While it may be stupid (and I'd watch it with the insults)

Sorry about that, I'll try to be more careful

Keonyn wrote:
to demand people buy something completely different to what they want for the sake of business may not be the wisest method; consumers demanding a method of product production that an industry and the people whose livelihood depends on it can not survive on just because they don't feel like paying is equally as bad. You're still demonstrating no desire to meet in the middle at all, but rather still demanding the middle come to you.

Digital distribution is likely the future, but not in such an absolute way as you're demanding and the industries will still need to charge to the degree they can survive. I won't deny that some adaptation needs to occur, but I'm not entirely convinced we're in a position yet to convert. Personally, given the option I would still buy DVD's as I then get a solid hard copy for my money and I would prefer that option remain available. Of course, modern technology has opened other avenues and it would be wise of the distributors to explore those avenues. I can understand their restraint though due to the costs involved and the risk it presents.

krelyan wrote:

I still think we're a ways off for true digital distribution on video files. I know I certainly don't have the anywhere near the bandwidth required nor do I expect it to be available in my area any time soon. At least in the United States, it would take a long time to install the necessary groundwork that would allow the true high-speed connections to the masses and the Government does not appear to be rushing ahead with it.

I'd say that if fansubs really are a huge problem, then they prove that digital distribution is not only the future, but the present. If the anime industry simply can't offer me decently fast, subtitled anime with digital distribution, then so be it. In that case, I'd much rather the anime studios in Japan set up ways I could easily donate money to them. Sure, you could say that DVDs are the same thing, but the problem with those is buying those is also supporting a product I don't want. It also means I can't show support for anything recent, and my support (since I'm in Australia) is vastly disjoint from the original source of the anime, which is where I really want my money to go.

krelyan wrote:

But can it do so without the expense of the other factors I listed? I don't see a way it can. As for speed, it would require licensing the show before it airs which would entail a fair amount of risk. Also, I would reasonably assume that this would undermine the Japanese TV broadcasting rights/contract.

The whole issue with the licensing process is a big reason why the initial "push" has to come from the Japanese.

Keonyn wrote:
Obviously if they just give it all away for free, we'll be seeing 50 episodes of those stick figures before long.
Indeed that is obvious, so I don't think you needed to point it out =P. No-one here has been asking that the anime industry put out a free product anyway.

Keonyn wrote:
Working with them isn't practical either because US labor laws would require those fansubbers be paid since the industry is a for profit industry, therefore they wouldn't actually save money.

I don't know about this, but I think that if the anime industry doesn't directly "use" the fan-made subtitles itself, but instead merely allows the end user to make use of them (i.e. as something to go with unsubtitled anime), that issue can be avoided.

Keonyn wrote:

The best option for them would be to ignore the fansubbers and develop a competing product. It isn't the ideal situation, but given the alternatives it's the only practical answer.

This is certainly something I would be very happy to see. However, I must ask (though you won't answer since you've quit the thread) - what exactly is it you consider "the ideal situation"?

Quote:
You are right though. This has gone OT for long enough, so yeah, think I'll step out as well.

Well, the way I see it, at the core of this argument is still the question of what the anime industry should do about fansubbers. Sure, it's not a direct discussion of it, but the issue is so complex that I believe the underlying issues also need to be discussed to make it complete.
Xanas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:40 am Reply with quote
Keonyn, thanks for the reply. I suppose I don't really have a way to ask for specifics of what people have demanded as there are so many who have spoken here.

You have made it clear you don't believe digital distribution as a rule is unfair, so I assume there are some specific things people have said here you see as problematic.

Does that include working with fansub groups to produce the material? (an idea I've never been a stickler for, though I think it can work if done right).

The option I personally prefer would be a subscription service. It would allow someone based on price to watch a selection of titles in sub format as early as possible for preview purposes. I'm not big on buying something blindly, even when it's cheap, because I hate throwing stuff away but I also hate not liking something I buy.

I bought Kiddy Grade, and am going to start buying Shuffle now as I did watch a few episodes of each before coming to a decision to do that. I'd rather do this legally, but sadly I'm left to trailers on a lot of shows and the trailers are usually poorly made and don't provide enough info. I was going to use ADV's free episodes to check out some of their shows until they were sadly removed. The only trailer that I saw that convinced me to outright buy a show was the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

Anyway, a subscription service wouldn't have me paying per episode for something I might not like, so I get to try things that I'm unsure of and this is what I would probably use the service for. Others could use it as their primary method of just watching the shows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 17