• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Overlord

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:09 pm Reply with quote
The fight wasn't that great honestly, the magic effect were cool but everything was very static and them stopping every two three attack got redundant. I do hope they give an explanation for why he didn't open with his super skill, especially if its supposed to be charged.

I'm guessing the "solution" is that once he killed Shalltear and she revived she goes back to her normal state. Usually in mmo if you die and come back to life your slate is wiped clean, at most you have some sort of rez sickness. Although that doesn't make much sense with his comment.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:36 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
Episode 12, I figured they would split the fight between two episodes. Unfortunately I also figured that they would not have the opportunity to explain just what is happening when they use their skills, unlike in the novel. For example, the last spell he uses.

You don't explain skills on anime. Books have to be more detail because there is no pictures.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:00 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
The fight wasn't that great honestly, the magic effect were cool but everything was very static and them stopping every two three attack got redundant. I do hope they give an explanation for why he didn't open with his super skill, especially if its supposed to be charged.

I'm guessing the "solution" is that once he killed Shalltear and she revived she goes back to her normal state. Usually in mmo if you die and come back to life your slate is wiped clean, at most you have some sort of rez sickness. Although that doesn't make much sense with his comment.

In the novel he explains that he didn't use his trump cards at the beginning of the fight because he wasn't sure if she would have something in place that would counter them (since she would have all her skills/items/spells available). That's why he said that he's happy she went all out against him because she has exhausted her abilities and is now pretty much just stuck with melee attacks for the most part, meaning he can now pull out his finisher without worry of it being countered.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:03 pm Reply with quote
2 Points.

A. He tried to kill shaltear because he suspected could always bring her back. Which is exactly what happens.

B. Most of the characters in Nazerick far outclass all but a handful of people in this new world, so in short even if someone did challenge her, she probably would kill them and revert to her non aggro state.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:35 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
2 Points.

A. He tried to kill shaltear because he suspected could always bring her back. Which is exactly what happens.

B. Most of the characters in Nazerick far outclass all but a handful of people in this new world, so in short even if someone did challenge her, she probably would kill them and revert to her non aggro state.

I'm pretty sure he said he is not sure if he can bring character back like in game. Otherwise, he can just send the others to kill Shalltear.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:10 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
He tried to kill shaltear because he suspected could always bring her back. Which is exactly what happens.

He's not the one who rezzed her. She said she was saved by the rez item Lord Peroroncino gave her. Momonga may have known about that, but it wasn't him that restored her. To me, it sounded like if she hadn't had that prior, she'd have been toast.
Bull864

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:01 am Reply with quote
I'm happy to confirm there will be a 13th episode. That cut off was so ridiculously abrupt I didn't know how to feel. I tolerated the idea of the fight simply because it was the end of the season. I'm kind of confused at the idea of an almighty "Supreme Being" that can be defeated by one of his servants. I know they have to follow the original story, which I haven't read, but it just seems implausible. Now at one point it does seem like she would've died already if not for the revival item she'd been given, so I guess that counts for something. But a lot of my fun with this show was how OP the MC was. A lot of shows do drama and extra BS, "Is he going to make it? Will he survive?" And the MC has to cry and whine about his power. I really enjoyed someone simply saying, and backing up, he was better than everyone else. If you have an issue with that he will kill you. The nuance wasn't him not liking/using his powers unless needed like a lot of shows. It was how he was going about executing his plan. I like straight forward things. (Which is why I have to say, the less words used in a fight the better.)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:41 am Reply with quote
Bull864 wrote:
I'm happy to confirm there will be a 13th episode. That cut off was so ridiculously abrupt I didn't know how to feel. I tolerated the idea of the fight simply because it was the end of the season. I'm kind of confused at the idea of an almighty "Supreme Being" that can be defeated by one of his servants. I know they have to follow the original story, which I haven't read, but it just seems implausible. Now at one point it does seem like she would've died already if not for the revival item she'd been given, so I guess that counts for something. But a lot of my fun with this show was how OP the MC was. A lot of shows do drama and extra BS, "Is he going to make it? Will he survive?" And the MC has to cry and whine about his power. I really enjoyed someone simply saying, and backing up, he was better than everyone else. If you have an issue with that he will kill you. The nuance wasn't him not liking/using his powers unless needed like a lot of shows. It was how he was going about executing his plan. I like straight forward things. (Which is why I have to say, the less words used in a fight the better.)

The reason why he is having such a hard time is because Shalltear is basically the perfect counter to his class. He is an undead necromancer, many of his death powers dont work on her because she is also undead, he relies a lot of summoned minions but they will just feed her health, she also has class levels in cleric I believe which makes her effective against undead as well as being one of the most powerful guardians in terms of physical stats. So basically the majority of his strongest class powers are less effective against her and she outclasses him in physical combat.

He doesn't take world class items with him because he's worried that they will be observed during the fight and possibly be ambushed so he won't risk letting those items fall into enemy hands (which is also why he told his subordinates to run if they ever run into an enemy they can't handle because they are carrying the world class items).

It doesn't make perfect sense but that's the general gist of it from the novel that I remember.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Unless something crazy happens next episode, i suspect there going be season 2 unless there something else in store. It was good series.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I believe there is a good chance of there being a season 2, the intro includes some brief scenes from the next few chapters of the novels (hint, it's the quick shots of the guardians). This first season covered 3 chapters, I could see the next season covering the next 2-3, which would be great as there are some pretty kick ass sections in them.

But again, it really will come down to ratings and how well this first season does
ZhonLord

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:12 am Reply with quote
Bull864 wrote:
I'm kind of confused at the idea of an almighty "Supreme Being" that can be defeated by one of his servants. I know they have to follow the original story, which I haven't read, but it just seems implausible. Now at one point it does seem like she would've died already if not for the revival item she'd been given, so I guess that counts for something.

Don't forget, many MMO's have npc characters that are just as, or more powerful than, the players themselves. Take world of warcraft for example:
The cities themselves are neutral to either the Horde or the Alliance, however members from the opposing side can infiltrate the city and attack people: or they would if they could get past the city's guards. Those guards are several levels above the cap a player can get to, so they basically overpower the player and destroy them before they can get into the city and start killing random people.

They specifically mentioned at the beginning of the anime that Yggdrasil gave players a staggering amount of freedom. So it's not much of a stretch to think that if a player wanted to invest the time and resources into creating an NPC that can trump other players he could do so, especially since the Ains Ool Gown Guild gathered a lot of valuable treasures that other players would want to raid them for - and did regularly.

Nazarick is a multi-layered dungeon meant to hold off any group of players who would want to invade. But they were so strong that no one got past the first floor, let alone pierce the interior. It's easy to believe that many of the guardians are on par in power with the ones who created them, otherwise the opposing players could have broken in easily and plundered the tomb.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:31 am Reply with quote
So, it looks like they are definitely leaving the possibility of a second season open, bringing up a lots of scenes of the following chapters from the light novels. In fact, they've shown far more sneak peaks than was actually in the novel at this point.

I have very much been enjoying the light novel so I really hope they continue this series, what is the most interesting is the fact that the main character slowly starts becoming more and more like the evil undead overlord his game character while slowly forgetting his human past.

I'd say that the last episode did more to whet my appetite for another season than anything else.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:38 am Reply with quote
The big problem with this last episode is that the series obviously climaxed at the "bear hug of death" episode which happened both too late and too early. If it had happened earlier they could have spent more time on developing the next arc, which instead had to be rushed. And if it happened later, ie this episode, it would end on a high note. It just feel like there banking way too much on getting another season that they forget about making this season stand up well on its own.

Overall, this wasn't a bad show, it just felt like it desperately needed a better editor.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:02 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
The big problem with this last episode is that the series obviously climaxed at the "bear hug of death" episode which happened both too late and too early. If it had happened earlier they could have spent more time on developing the next arc, which instead had to be rushed. And if it happened later, ie this episode, it would end on a high note. It just feel like there banking way too much on getting another season that they forget about making this season stand up well on its own.

Overall, this wasn't a bad show, it just felt like it desperately needed a better editor.

Remember, this is a madhouse show based on source material. The vast, vast majority of the time, that means it's meant as promotion for that source material, and it won't get a second season.
ragz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:04 am Reply with quote
The "Brain" guy is the dude Shalltear chased off in the bandits' hideout
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 16