• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Whatever Happened to Bleach?

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lelouch Vi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

(Speaking of, remember Kuukaku Shiba? Or even Ganju? Yeah, they pretty much fell off the face of the earth after the rescue arc.)

Ganju is in the current arc FYI if you don't know. In fact the Shiba's as a whole have been mentioned since it was revealed that Isshin's true last name isn't Kurosaki, it's Shiba

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Ok, so this "Review" is full of flaws, but I commend you on your boldness to say all that you did. I do agree you have a whole bunch of points and proofs to go with it, but I suggest you do your research again before you write about a manga series like this. Your facts are off and that ruined the legitimacy of this article.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:58 pm Reply with quote
#847644 wrote:
Ok, so this "Review" is full of flaws, but I commend you on your boldness to say all that you did. I do agree you have a whole bunch of points and proofs to go with it, but I suggest you do your research again before you write about a manga series like this. Your facts are off and that ruined the legitimacy of this article.

Explain how he's wrong.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:27 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Not only that, but Tsugumi Ohba admitted, in How to Read, that he made up much of Death Note as he went. If any WSJ series sounded pre-planned, it would've been that one. Takeshi Obata, the illustrator, was astonished at that revelation; he thought Ohba had planned more of it out.

That explains so much about how that particular series progressed. I honestly can't think of a work of fiction from any medium using the making-things-up-as-the-author-goes method that hasn't devolved into an absolute mess before the end. I brought up LOST in an earlier post because it's one of the most spectacular examples of such I've personally witnessed: a well-produced show with a great premise and big mysteries to solve, but then you get a few seasons in and it becomes painfully obvious that the creative staff had no idea where the hell things were going, so they just started pulling plot points out of their asses, and that's about when I lost interest and didn't bother to keep up with the new season. If as an author you don't have a firm end goal in mind to reach, and at least a general idea on how you're going to get there, your work is at the very least not live up to its initial potential.

Lelouch Vi wrote:
Ganju is in the current arc FYI if you don't know. In fact the Shiba's as a whole have been mentioned since it was revealed that Isshin's true last name isn't Kurosaki, it's Shiba

I actually wasn't aware of that, but it reminds me of another pretty huge missed opportunity on Kubo's part. Near the start of the series there's a big emphasis placed on the fact that Ichigo looks an awful lot like the late Kaien Shiba, minus the hair color. Around the same time, back when Kubo actually remembered how the Soul Society worked, much was made about the cycle of reincarnation, and how souls that "died" in the Soul Society were reincarnated in the human world. So you have a person in Rukia's past whom she greatly admired and who died tragically, and now she's involved with helping someone who's a total dead ringer for him...what's the blindingly-obvious thing to do with the narrative in order to reinforce their connection? Apparently Kubo had no idea, because he doesn't even toy with it. And now you're telling me that what he did instead was to bring up the topic hundreds of chapters later in a different light, when it's no longer remotely relevant? I think that just about says it all.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:56 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
That explains so much about how that particular series progressed. I honestly can't think of a work of fiction from any medium using the making-things-up-as-the-author-goes method that hasn't devolved into an absolute mess before the end. I brought up LOST in an earlier post because it's one of the most spectacular examples of such I've personally witnessed: a well-produced show with a great premise and big mysteries to solve, but then you get a few seasons in and it becomes painfully obvious that the creative staff had no idea where the hell things were going, so they just started pulling plot points out of their asses, and that's about when I lost interest and didn't bother to keep up with the new season. If as an author you don't have a firm end goal in mind to reach, and at least a general idea on how you're going to get there, your work is at the very least not live up to its initial potential.

Calvin and Hobbes works like this; whenever Bill Watterson wanted to make an ongoing story that lasts for more than a week, he never had the ending in mind and would do this on purpose. (There was a brief mention of this in his commentary for the 10th Anniversary Book.)

That aside, these ongoing stories in Calvin and Hobbes are almost never longer than one month and remain very simple, narratively speaking. They also tend to end suddenly and abruptly.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Also, Bill Watterson is Bill Freakin' Watterson, so he doesn't have to follow such trivialities as sound narrative construction in order to make something awesome. Very Happy
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Well, you did say you couldn't think of an example of a series that works in this way, and I did.

But yeah, as its main character is a 6-year-old boy, meandering plotlines kind of work in the series' favor.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:26 pm Reply with quote
This is nothing but a full blown hate rant. Bleach is as good as it's ever been, especially when read in a full stretch instead of weekly. I'm guessing you frequent internet message boards where you and your fellow haters just whine about stuff but keep reading it just to hate on it.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
.... but instead (Orihime) stood hopelessly on the sidelines, waiting for Ichigo to save her to the very end.
It's shounen, why would you expect anything different? Laughing
kensiko

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:42 pm Reply with quote
For me Bleach is the best manga/anime ever, I watched many other animes and none came as good as bleach. Others are great, Fairy Tail, Naruto, One Piece, but I still don't have that attachment that I got with Bleach.

It's true there are many many fights, but it's the same for Naruto, endless fights. Showing a lot of new characters has some positive, it gives life to their world.
TrueZangetsu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:04 am Reply with quote
Absolutely biased commentary with personal opinion being sold as facts. Someone never learned from his parents what an opinion is and that yours isn't the ultimate truth .
Is there really any need to comment on an article, written this poorly?
My profile and avatar might already show that I'm a fan of bleach and vastly disagree with about 90% of every single sentence.

This is more of a YouTube rant video quality article more than anything else. Ann let this pass, that'd sad. I love Ann.
TrueCascada

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:26 pm Reply with quote
LaughingElbow wrote:
Been a while since I've seen so much butthurt in one article. Last time I saw this was the Fate Zero review.

I know right? All this person seemed to be doing was complaining and trying to compare it to their favorite anime instead. *cough* Naruto *cough*
Bleach is and always will be my favorite anime. There was a poll somewhere where it asked "out of all the Espada, which had an interesting story?" Nel won. And this person is telling us these characters get made or die and no one gives a crap? Anime hyper
Obviously the fans do. I don't know...this seemed like a huge whiney listed opinion to be honest. If you're a true Bleach fan, you'll love it despite its faults, not bash it and wish it were like another anime that was good because of the mainstream positivity behind it. Avenge, Tiburion, Cascada I'm F'n out-
TrueCascada

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:32 pm Reply with quote
kensiko wrote:
For me Bleach is the best manga/anime ever, I watched many other animes and none came as good as bleach. Others are great, Fairy Tail, Naruto, One Piece, but I still don't have that attachment that I got with Bleach.

It's true there are many many fights, but it's the same for Naruto, endless fights. Showing a lot of new characters has some positive, it gives life to their world.

Same! Like I was sad when Retsu died, not disappointed because she finally got her story out there. Anime hyper
Going into an anime, you've got to be positive with an open mind or you'll just be giving out negative comments and just waisting time when you should be enjoying the anime itself.
かっこいい子ども

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Made an account just to reply to the article, I personally liked Bleach through every arc, but I understand that when he used the final Getsuga Tensho (I think that's the correct spelling) and sacrificed all of his powers to defeat Aizen would've made most readers feel at ease with that being the final ending, I personally was rooting for Ichigo getting his powers back as I wanted to see more of his adventures, but that's just my opinion
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Locking necro thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 18 of 18