• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Zac Bertschy: Terrible American Tourist

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
9hoenix_

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:23 pm Reply with quote

I just had too
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
Maybe they're actually ravens? (Not to scale)

Crow: [pic]

Raven: [pic]

Yeah, I can't tell the difference from those pictures.

I know there are about a bajillion species of similar looking black birds, but to me, they're interchangeable.
Showsni

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Yeah, I can't tell the difference from those pictures.

I know there are about a bajillion species of similar looking black birds, but to me, they're interchangeable.

Well, the main difference is the size.

Rooks and Carrion Crows are harder to tell apart; Jackdaws are also quite similar to both from a distance. Choughs and Alpine Choughs have bright beaks. Hooded Crows have a hood... Jays and Magpies are pretty easy to tell apart from the rest, though. The corvids are a lot easier to tell apart than the about a million different warblers.

(I saw a Jay the other day, right when I had my video camera ready! They're beautiful.)
ladyvoid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:08 pm Reply with quote
geez. Always so negative whaen updating that blog of yours eh, Zac? C'mon! you're a tourist in a foreign country... atleast convince us that you're having a little fun over there? The dry sarcasm is funny at times, but now it's a bit too much.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:17 pm Reply with quote
ladyvoid wrote:
geez. Always so negative whaen updating that blog of yours eh, Zac? C'mon! you're a tourist in a foreign country... atleast convince us that you're having a little fun over there? The dry sarcasm is funny at times, but now it's a bit too much.

But it wouldn't be Zac any other way. I like to think he's the one who reminds us of the more ridiculous parts of the fandom... and being a tourist in this case.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:45 pm Reply with quote
ladyvoid wrote:

The title of the article is what again? "Terrible American Tourist." This was kind of the point (one of them anyways) of the article. It was supposed to be a bit over the top and facetious (I hope) to begin with. If you think it's too much you could always maybe just not read it. Very Happy
DizzyLikeQuantum

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:14 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Terrible American Tourist" I put other people down to increase my feeling of self-worth][/quote]
Feeling better about yourself after publicly eviscerating a group of dweeby tourists? They may be goofy-but they did not go out of their way to insult you (posting pictures too-that was classy). Viciously lashing out at people who are similar to you does not make you "cool" nor does it establish any measure of superiority. While they paraded around the shrine like dorky tourists you snickered and took a picture of them. Congratulations-you're super cool. I would offer you a cookie but you are too cool to eat it, so I guess I'll have it. Mmm-chocolate chip...
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:46 pm Reply with quote
DizzyLikeQuantum wrote:

Feeling better about yourself after publicly eviscerating a group of dweeby tourists? They may be goofy-but they did not go out of their way to insult you (posting pictures too-that was classy). Viciously lashing out at people who are similar to you does not make you "cool" nor does it establish any measure of superiority. While they paraded around the shrine like dorky tourists you snickered and took a picture of them. Congratulations-you're super cool. I would offer you a cookie but you are too cool to eat it, so I guess I'll have it. Mmm-chocolate chip...

I drink your righteous indignation like wine.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
DizzyLikeQuantum wrote:

Liar....you don't drink wine. You drink cheap scotch, and sometimes not so cheap scotch depending on what column you're working on that particular day. Wink I know, not that funny but it was in my head.
Mysticmidnightmaiden

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:07 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Mysticmidnightmaiden wrote:
I can't wait to go to Japan and see how much terror/chaos/double takes a 5'10" African American woman will cause...

There already is one.

Pfff. I could take her. She looks about my mom's size, and I can lift her fairly easily... Twisted Evil

But yeah. Let's hope Crystal Kay has more influence than Black Pants. It's not like we need any more "Angry Black Woman RAGE" stereotypes in entertainment...
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:29 am Reply with quote
Crystal Kay to me however has seemed more Japanese than anything over the years. Although she was going to American school on the base, her Japanese skills astound me.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
These people are douchebags. Honky douchebags.

Dude, seriously?
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:03 am Reply with quote
ladyvoid wrote:

I'd say "It's Zac, what else do you expect" but having 9 posts in the span of nearly a year makes one think you're not exactly familiar with the place.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
DizzyLikeQuantum wrote:

Self-edited because every time I make a funny lately, somebody gon' get mad.
sashaisme

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Heh. I completely forgot what I was gonna say to you when I saw that giggling Duck Hunt dog... Can I save it?

Anyway, it was nice seeing you putting columns on ANN again!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 22