• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Building You A Better Cartoon Show

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShindoW

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:23 pm Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:
i understand that there's a vastly wide gulf between something like Oreimo and Garden of Sinners, my real point is that no matter what the complaints are, they SELL OUT.

This was my problem. I was interested in shelling out for the LE of Oreimo for the price... but within a month or so it was OOP.

I'm not paying for a non-dub set for that price with no extras. Sorry.

I am looking forward to saving the money for a Madoka box set, though, since I prefer to buy complete boxes over individual volumes.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:39 am Reply with quote
doctor:
Quote:
For a series that was twice as long as those two, Durarara only cost about $150. None of these costs are too far different from what we were paying in 2007 and earlier.

That's bull. Most 20+ shows I pay anywhere from $30-$70 max.

Quote:
That IS a crazy price, and I don't think even in the VHS days one would have to pay that much for 13 episodes (if I'm wrong about that, someone please correct me).

You would've paid that much for all of KOR on DVD.

Hitokiri:
Quote:
Just don't act like the company is screwing you because they didn't already announce a much cheaper release before the JP set or first disc has even been released.

If you paid for the pricey set after they lied about it being the only one in print, then they are screwing you.

purple: If you're gonna go by "free" market standards, then you try to sell a product to as many people as possible, so it can be profitable.

Gilles: Except with Patlabor, you at last had the option of getting non-LE versions of the movies. And not all of BVUSA's deals were that great. Why should I pay R2 prices for an edited version of Gunbuster?

Lord:

Quote:
i understand that there's a vastly wide gulf between something like Oreimo and Garden of Sinners, my real point is that no matter what the complaints are, they SELL OUT.

Again, except R.O.D. and Durarara.

Shinn:
Quote:
You should ask yourselves is paying $370 plus tax + plus shipping worth 13 episodes when you can buy a PS3 with a few games, a bunch of different animes or movies from another company, and go out with friends multiple times?

I agree. And knowing the animators who worked on it will still be only doing better financially than their brethren working in Chinese and Vietnamese sweatshops doesn't exactly endear me to the argument that it's "worth" it to support these titles at those prices. But at least it explains why Nike's still in business. As many, if not more, suckers there, too.

Sailor:

Quote:
If the time comes when that model is no longer feasible, they will either adapt or perish.

Or, they'll be petty, and resort to scorced earth tactics against lucrative American licensors like Sojitz and Bandai Visual. Rolling Eyes

ikillchicken:
Quote:
You know, I'm happy to accept this line of reasoning when it comes to...lets say...House of Five Leaves.

See, I was willing to accept some of the pricing structure for Honneamise, too. But these companies seem to want to have it both ways, and create demand for a title, yet at the same time, discourage casual viewers-who might pay, too-from seeing it. They need to focus more on reaching as many people as possible, or no one's gonna be happy.

Quote:
*Mind you, I'm still extremely pissed that we won't be getting a BD.

We probably will, just not soon.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:04 am Reply with quote
Though really, what solves everything here? Streaming and piracy.

Those who can afford these prices are going to buy it.

Those who can't, won't.

But those who still want to see it can still see it.

And those who want to buy it after seeing it will buy it.

And those who don't want to buy it but still see it but were going to buy it and is now not will have someone else take their place.

And most importantly, all this costs Aniplex nothing to maintain. Obviously no hurt sales, and no need to spend to try and reach that middle price market.

And everyone is happy and shouldn't complain about something they didn't really want to have anyway.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:33 am Reply with quote
Asterisk-CGY wrote:

Those who can't, won't.

There is an intersection between the second and the forth set of people you list. That is to say, there are people who want to buy it after seeing it, but who cannot.

If you are attempting to demonstrate that the combination of streaming, piracy and Aniplex's releases suffices to satisfy every relevant person, you have no choice but to overlook the dissatisfaction of this set of people.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:59 am Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
... (although a couple more months vol 1 of Madoka should be priced at a more reasonable $25-30 on amazon). ....

I assume that you are talking about the BD? Since the $30 was the street price for the DVD regular edition from introduction.

ROD The Complete, MSRP$200, was on a Christmas sale at RightStuf for $100, but we'd have to ask to find out if that was with a kicker from AniplexUSA or entirely out of RightStuf's margin. In any event, they must have sold enough of them in the Christmas Sale, since right now R.O.D. the Complete is $178 or more at Amazon, from 3rd party sellers, and $160 from RightStuf.

So if you are looking for PMMM to have a sale, be sure to hit the sale if/when its announced, as it might be a short time thing. And if the regular edition sells out, they might let it wait a bit before coming back into print ~ that part of helping to maintain a premium price point, after all.

Zin5ki wrote:
Asterisk-CGY wrote:

Those who can't, won't.

There is an intersection between the second and the forth set of people you list. That is to say, there are people who want to buy it after seeing it, but who cannot.

If you are attempting to demonstrate that the combination of streaming, piracy and Aniplex's releases suffices to satisfy every relevant person, you have no choice but to overlook the dissatisfaction of this set of people.

But these are not publicly funded providers performing a public service: these are creators of commercial entertainment for commercial purposes.

If there are a large enough number of those people to make the lower price point worthwhile, then the people who are satisfied at that price point can possibly get satisfaction, but the people who need a lower price point will still be dissatisfied.

If they come out with a direct digital download option that addresses some of the issues that some people have with streams ~ (1) you are paying a nickle or a dime or a minute or two of your time to watch something you have access to this month, but if you want to watch it next year it might not be there, (2) some people have bandwidth/equipment limitations, so even at constrained bandwidths they have to step down the resolution (3) people without bandwidth/equipment get bitrates aimed at the bulk of the market and not at them ~ even if it "fixes" those issues, it will still be at some price point ... at the $2 an episode price point, that will be too high for some and leave them dissatisfied.

Hell, if its $0.50 an episode, that will be too high for some, and they'll be left dissatisfied.

Which is just normal commercial business, after all: if you can be satisfied at a price point that is worth the while of a seller, its possible for you to be satisfied. If you can't be, you'll be frustrated. In time, maybe existing or new sellers will come up with some product that satisfies the previously unsatisfiable demand ... and maybe they won't.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Asterisk-CGY wrote:

Those who can't, won't.

And those who don't want to buy it but still see it but were going to buy it and is now not will have someone else take their place.

And most importantly, all this costs Aniplex nothing to maintain. Obviously no hurt sales, and no need to spend to try and reach that middle price market.

And everyone is happy and shouldn't complain about something they didn't really want to have anyway.

There is a problem. What if I wanted to see it dubbed? And please don't direct me to the one time streaming at a certain time, since I'm busy those days, plus I am hard of hearing and like to watch dubs with subtitles. Please link me to a stream that allows dubs with subtitles and then I will be happy.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
kakoishii wrote:
... (although a couple more months vol 1 of Madoka should be priced at a more reasonable $25-30 on amazon). ....

I assume that you are talking about the BD? Since the $30 was the street price for the DVD regular edition from introduction.

I was referring to the MSRP which was around $40 ($39.98 I think it was), but I can see now you can get it for about $30 now on rightstuf, so that's encouraging.

As far it selling out though, I really doubt Aniplex will let Madoka go OOP unless they are planning on releasing a new editon. Madoka has too wide appeal to treat it like something like Garden of Sinners or something. Something tells me, they'll keep on the shelfs for as long as they can get away with.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
Asterisk-CGY wrote:

Those who can't, won't.

There is a problem. What if I wanted to see it dubbed? And please don't direct me to the one time streaming at a certain time, since I'm busy those days, plus I am hard of hearing and like to watch dubs with subtitles. Please link me to a stream that allows dubs with subtitles and then I will be happy.

Man, those guys that ought to be ripping US dvd's are sure being lazy.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Asterisk-CGY wrote:

Those who can't, won't.

At the same time, its not zero access. You still have options to watch. To own will be an issue, but at that point is having a hard time spending money.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:48 pm Reply with quote
ShinnFlowen wrote:
You should ask yourselves is paying $370 plus tax + plus shipping worth 13 episodes when you can buy a PS3 with a few games, a bunch of different animes or movies from another company, and go out with friends multiple times?

It's called priorities.

You can try to look at it objectively, which is what you're doing when you're trying to give a comparative value as to what $370 can buy. But someone who is a fan of that series (or a die-hard collector) won't care about the other items they could buy for the same amount of money. If they want the series, they'll try to buy it. And they'll cut back on other items or put in more time on the job to earn the funds for it.

For you, buying a PS3 and some games is something you value more than buying an anime series. For me, buying some nice anime production artwork is something I value more than $370, an anime series on DVD or Blu-Ray and a PS3. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes, which is a good thing because there's only so much of one item.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
There is a problem. What if I wanted to see it dubbed? ...

If there's a dubbed disk, but the dub is not available on subscription streaming because it was not licensed by Funimation or Sentai/TAN, then wait until the overpriced regular edition DVD comes out and rent it from an anime rental-by-mail place.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:12 pm Reply with quote
"And the other thing is, for the people who actually do buy these sets, I hear nothing but praise. I mean, they're expensive, but lookit all this crap. In a weird way, you're basically getting your money's worth. You get a nice booklet, a soundtrack, a freakin' dub, some posters and cards, and other fun stuff."

I like most of the stuff they include, however I'd still rather have a dub as part of that package, especially at their prices.

And that's not always true, most of the ones that have gotten the largest barrage of complaints are the ones aren't providing a dub for properties that are big enough and of high enough quality that they should definitely be getting them and WOULD from the likes of Funi and Sentai etc.. Such as Fate/Zero (or Garden of Sinners) and the huge miss release of Blue Exorcist that would have been yet another big shonen action show here had it been released with a dub, it's ridiculous that something so "US anime market friendly" is getting released the way it is and not drawing in more US fans and "just selling to importers". I totally understand with niche shows like Sentai does sometimes but these aren't ultra-niche or "cheap" shows that couldn't support dubs (especially given some rather niche shows that still get dubbed), these are big, high production value, shows even Sentai who releases both ways would 100% dub for the US. In my opinion Aniplex has no excuse for releasing "big titles" like these without dubs, they even have less "middlemen" to pay and yet Sentai can do it just like Funi for shows this big.

That still doesn't cover some of the more ridiculous prices like Fate/Zero where it's over $300 and you're still only getting HALF the series.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:22 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:

That still doesn't cover some of the more ridiculous prices like Fate/Zero where it's over $300 and you're still only getting HALF the series.

Because Fate/Zero isn't a US release. Jesus. How is this hard to understand? Fate/Zero is an import. Period. It is the Japanese release, made available in limited quantities here.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
DangerMouse wrote:

Because Fate/Zero isn't a US release. Jesus. How is this hard to understand? Fate/Zero is an import. Period. It is the Japanese release, made available in limited quantities here.

From my point of view they just prevented Sentai etc. from licensing the damn show since they wanted to do it themselves and prevented them or Funi etc. from giving a "freakin dub" as they absolutely would have. If an importer wanted to buy it they could just buy it from CD Japan etc like I've done on numerous occasions while we wait to one of those companies to bring it over or until the JP side says the wait's been long enough. If Aniplex wants to include dubs on these then I'd still complain about the price but I'd have less to complain about since they wouldn't be preventing dubs from getting made for some of these big shows that I'd like to enjoy seeing in both languages.

Shows like these that they've released first the "import way" have never so far gotten dual-audio releases later, and that's continuing with the BS of KnK and Oreimo re-releases being sub only DVDs when BDs exist and neither is still getting dubbed. Why should I believe Blue Exorcist will ever get dubbed either despite being a show that 110% would have gotten not only dubbed but full on Blu-ray from both Sentai or Funimation given their track records? Or why should I believe they'll ever even give it a pricey Madoka-style dual audio BD style release? So far these "imports" have a track record of being "blockers" of real dual audio US blu-rays. If Aniplex changes that then I won't mind them giving "importers" a chance to get in early while we wait for dual-audio BDs just like we have to for Funi and Sentai releases until the licensor says it's ok.

Now (judging by KnK and Oreimo) even if they do ever re-release Fate/Zero it'll be DVD-only BS still without a dub despite BD's existing. Meanwhile there's no way Sentai (who releases both dual audio and sub only for ultra niche stuff) would relegate something on the level of Fate/Zero (or KnK or Blue Excorist) to sub only DVD. They'd absolutely do dual audio BDs for shows like these. Why is that hard to understand?

Last edited by DangerMouse on Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:55 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:

From my point of view they just prevented Sentai etc. from licensing the damn show since they wanted to do it themselves and prevented them or Funi etc. from giving a "freakin dub" as they absolutely would have.

Assertion without evidence, paranoia, lack of understanding of how this all works.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6