• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Site Simulcasts Shugo Chara!! Doki— Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Weazul-chan wrote:
what else can you expect from people that feel as if I basic right has been denied by the region blocking? or it could just be they lack an understanding that while the internet is global that the industry is still very much handled regionally.

the way I see it, even if they're some region limitations now this is a step in the right direction and as more see it working (which it hopefully will) there will be fewer and fewer regional limitations. you can't expect a change this drastic to come to full fruition overnight, after all.

Obviously you've not bothered to look at the list which nightjuan kindly posted a few posts up.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion at the end of the day but I just don't like people who think that only North Americans should be allowed to watch anime and shows online legally on sites like CR.

In any case, the Internet as we know it [well, the WWW part] was created by a Brit; Tim Berners-Lee and if it wasn't for the likes of him, there wouldn't be any anime for you and any CR-supporting fanboys/girls to watch.

BTW, if that was a personal dig at me, I'm not angry, I just feel sorry that you think that I shouldn't be allowed to express my views on the current situation concerning legal downloads outside North America as well as CR not giving a rat's towards their UK members...

Look at it this way, it's highly unlikely there'll be a CR service which offeres legal downloads for the UK so that's why people like me who live in the UK and other countries aren't happy bunnies at the moment...

[Is really pissed off that he can't even watch Viewtiful Joe and wonders if the people who are CR fanboys/girls and posting in this thread are actually working for them...]
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:
BorgmanJayce wrote:
Obviously you must be a fan who thinks that only those who live in North America should have the right to watch everything that CR has to offer and let everybody else outside North America get frustrated or go to extreme measures to watch the anime that they feel they should be allowed to watch!

As I said before, I download fansubs and if anybody has a problem with me downloading fansubs, tough luck because my stance won't change any time soon!

You're not one of those "OMG CRUNCHYROLL IS RACIST" people who thinks they're blocking out these regions on purpose, are you? By and large it comes from the companies producing and distributing the anime that you seem to enjoy so much, and the agreements they have in place with their subsidiaries and distributors.

I'd tell you to take out your anger by boycotting their product but it sounds like you might be already doing that.

And regarding false advertising... They have always published which countries will hve access to which shows.

-Tofu

Where in the name of Ryo Saeba did you get the idea that I'm one of those "OMG CRUNCHYROLL IS RACIST"-type of people from?

I'm definitely not one of those people... I'm just frustrated at the fact that they can't even tell the difference between the Republic of Ireland and the UK when it comes to licensing certain shows like Dear Boys and Viewtiful Joe...

I believe that everybody should have the right to watch anime legally, regardless of wherever they may live in the world without licensing issues, but to be honest, I don't see that happening any time soon hence my cynicism towards CR and their laughable claim of global access to the shows on their site...

BTW, if any of you CR fanboys/girls missed the link that nightjuan was so kind to post here before, here it is again because I like to think of myself as a nice if sarcastic person at times... Laughing

http://www.crunchyroll.com/lineup?src=sm_msg_ea
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:22 pm Reply with quote
it has nothing to do with the rights of the individual and all to do with the rights Crunchyroll obtains. some of what they offer they only have regional rights to and thus are contractually obligated to do what they can to block people from other regions from accessing it. it's very likely they want to offer it to more regions but either have to make further negotiations to do so or the company that can give them those rights is deciding not to.

it's a BIG undertaking to start legally offering anime streams worldwide and obviously won't happen overnight. if it was so simple as "make a deal with one company, get worldwide rights" it still wouldn't be simple, but it's not. those complaining about Crunchyroll's region blocking have to realize it's not a personal jab at people who live there, but rather limits imposed on them by other companies which some of what they've said indicates they want to get beyond with future negotiations.
Kireek

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:
Why so much anger from people who are in regions not streamed to? It's not like you have some inalienable right to view these shows...

-Tofu

On another note, these companys want ot make money right?

*sees the big pile of cash on his desk* still waiting still waiting, oh while im waiting, I will probably find another show to watch and lose interest in the one I was going to buy.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I don't blame CR itself, though they aren't exactly my best regarded company either if you consider their own history, but that doesn't make things any better.

Anime is not a right, it is a priviledge, but being denied a priviledge when the technology for worldwide access is already in place will not gain the anime companies and distributors involved any fans, at least outside of the United States, as long as the regional blocks are still up.

It's basically saying "sorry, you can't watch this but someone else can. No, not even if you want to pay. Tough luck." What do you think will be the logical result?

Those who are left out of the system will either wait, find a way to take advantage of the streaming in spite of the region blocking, or will resort to other means, if not all of the above.

It's a similar kind of thought process that led to fansubs of some of these streaming shows in the first place.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:42 pm Reply with quote
it's more like "sorry, but we don't have the rights to distribute it to your region yet" with a side of "if we can get the rights to do so at a later time we'll make them available then" as they have shown they WANT to show as much as they can the the widest audience possible.

with Crunchyroll doing what they can to go legit and offer a legit alternative to illegal sources to as many as possible do you really think they'd do something that could negate all that work like offer titles in regions they don't have the license to offer them in?

think of it like something getting licensed for a DVD release in another region. they can only release it in the region they have the rights to and there's region encoding involved. there's probably ways to get around that if you have access to the right things just like with DVD encoding, but you have to know what you need to do to get around it.
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Weazul-chan wrote:
it's more like "sorry, but we don't have the rights to distribute it to your region yet" with a side of "if we can get the rights to do so at a later time we'll make them available then" as they have shown they WANT to show as much as they can the the widest audience possible.

with Crunchyroll doing what they can to go legit and offer a legit alternative to illegal sources to as many as possible do you really think they'd do something that could negate all that work like offer titles in regions they don't have the license to offer them in?

think of it like something getting licensed for a DVD release in another region. they can only release it in the region they have the rights to and there's region encoding involved. there's probably ways to get around that if you have access to the right things just like with DVD encoding, but you have to know what you need to do to get around it.

Is it me or do you come across as some kind of apologist or ass-kisser for CR by any chance? Why are you trying to justify what CR is doing by blocking up to 3/4 of their shows to people outside North America is a good thing even though they've paid for their so-called membership before most of the shows got blocked due to them being available to North Americans.

I'm sorry but yor BS won't work on me as I use anti-BS defense a lot! Very Happy

To be honest, I predict that CR will be out of business once the word gets out to a wider audience that they've not been exactly honest to their members when it comes to their so-called paid anime membership being only suitable for people in North America. In fact I give them a year or two before they go out of business and even then I'm being generous with my prediction! It's as obvious as the nose of my face that their business plan sucks more than the Boston Red Sox and once CR goes under, the likes of Toei, MB, ADV and the people who distribute Korean and Chinese dramas will be back to square one!

Can you honestly justify to me and other non-North Americans why we should support CR if they're going to treat us like pariahs...

[Before anyone asks, I don't have a huge hatred for North America, in fact I have relatives in the USA myself and a lot of my friends live in both the USA and Canada as well, it's just CR's BS that I don't like at the end of the day!]

BTW, if anyone still doesn't like me or anybody else with a similar complaint complaining, tough luck, because everybody's entitled to a thing called "free speech" regardless of whether you think you're in the right or not.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:21 pm Reply with quote
BorgmanJayce wrote:
Can you honestly justify to me and other non-North Americans why we should support CR if they're going to treat us like pariahs...

You shouldn't. But you shouldn't complain about it to no end, either. You have no right to the anime on that site. You never had a right to the anime on the site. If you were watching it online before, odds are you were pirating it. You have no legs to stand on here.

I am just sick of people complaining about this like they have some legal right to view this anime (for free or otherwise).

-Tofu
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm simply someone who understands that Crunchyroll can only legally provide certain shows to certain regions and doesn't want to get in legal trouble for showing them in other regions before they get the rights that will allow them to do so. understanding the legal reasons for the region blocking and why it's taking them time to make more titles more globally available makes me a realist who accepts that this will take steps, not an ass-kisser.

I'm not saying it's a good thing, just that they're doing that because they could get in legal trouble if they DON'T do it. that would set the progress they're starting to make back. they've stated their aim is to make as much as possible globally available, not that it will be that right from the beginning. THEY'RE STILL WORKING ON IT.

it's a HUGE step especially considering the reasons legal streams on this scale, as limited as it is by regions, hasn't appeared in the past is because because the Japanese wouldn't allow it or only allowed it on very small scale. how the anime industry works, both inside and outside of Japan, has to adjust to what legal streaming means; they have to adapt how they make licensing/streaming deals to the global media of the internet instead of the regional media of DVDs. an industry does not make a huge change overnight, as I've said before, and this is only the first significant step.

would you have them risk all the progress they made just because a few that can't accept the reality of the situation feel butthurt?

they've also never made claims all their titles would be globally available right away. that's something that is going to take time because of the legal steps they'll have to take to do so obviously. there are even disclaimers that shows may not be available in your region.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Weazul-chan wrote:

People who seem to be far better informed than myself have already commented on the Toei situation as to why this is very unlikely in that particular case. I'm actually quite glad that other shows do not have such restrictions and those streams will definitely be watched. It's just that there's always a catch, and one that wouldn't need to be there if Toei's business practices were different.

Quote:

I may understand that, but for me it's just as if these Toei shows hadn't been streamed at all. Nothing has changed.

A lot of people can now throw away (at least figuratively speaking) their dirty, dirty fansub copies (if applicable, obviously) because there's finally a legal way to access these shows, which makes them understandably happy. It's not just ethics for the sake of ethics, the law for the sake of the law, (if that were the case, fansubs would never have been created, regardless of which titles are licensed in the U.S and which aren't), there's also a feeling of personal satisfaction and comfort involved. That, unfortunately, only applies to U.S. citizens (and sub groups) at the moment. What about, say, fansubbers and anime fans in Antarctica? Tough luck.

Personally, I'll just be patient and entertain myself with the region free streams, but the issue remains and it's not going to go away.

Quote:

Most DVDs can at least be legally imported, at lesser or greater cost depending on the applicable taxes and shipping charges. I've done that myself a fair number of times and I will continue to do so. That's different from...whatever applies to this situation.

Region coding for DVDs is essentially symbolic at this point, and even Blue-ray has adopted a considerably more sensible coding scheme (divided into 3 zones instead of 6), when it's present at all (reportedly, most Blue-ray discs aren't actively region coded).

Last edited by nightjuan on Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:55 pm Reply with quote
as I've said, the industry has to adapt to this new development and that will take time. they've been working with a regional licensing pattern since they started and adapting to releasing via a global form like the internet will not happen overnight.

you have to remember as of right now this is only a first step by a site run from the US. they have grander plans, but they have to work with how the industry currently grants distribution rights until it adapts. it may not benefit too many regions right now, but in the future (near future hopefully, for both the sake of fans all over the world and Crunchyroll which needs profits to keep this going) it most likely will (unless the early steps fail).

and the DVD analogy was just giving a rough idea of why they have to block certain regions at this point. something to drive home it's not Crunchyroll doing it just to thumb their nose at people not from the US or Canada.

I'm really glad to see Crunchyroll working on making anime as widely available as they legally can, hopefully truly on a global scale for all or at least most their titles. seeing this starting is what's turned me from someone who was against the site to someone who supports them for what they are trying to accomplish.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Weazul-chan wrote:
as I've said, the industry has to adapt to this new development and that will take time. they've been working with a regional licensing pattern since they started and adapting to releasing via a global form like the internet will not happen overnight.

Then for the industry's own sake and that of anime fans worldwide, let's hope that takes years instead of decades.

In the meanwhile...it's literally business as usual for most of the world, in every sense of the word.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:15 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
Weazul-chan wrote:

Then for the industry's own sake and that of anime fans worldwide, let's hope that takes years instead of decades.

In the meanwhile...it's literally business as usual for most of the world, in every sense of the word.

It is great and all, but still, the main problem for a lot of is that it is CrunchyRoll, and streaming. We don't want to see streaming become the de facto way of anime to get to us, opposed to higher quality fansubs or DVDs. And as for Chrunchyroll, we will just never accept him or his site for profiting off fansubs in the past. Were it hulu or joost or what have you, we'd be a lot more accepting.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:26 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
Weazul-chan wrote:

considering the state of the economy in many places the people in Japan have probably decided they've got to seriously start adapting soon, which is why they're finally allowing a venture like this. even if you just look at the anime industry for the past few years they've been having financial issues both inside and outside of Japan. it's in the best interest of all sides to work together to make something that works.

used right streams can form a fanbase, many of which who will support at least the titles they like most by seeking to add them to a physical collection, thus helping both the Japanese industry and non-Japanese companies out to sell DVDs in their respective countries. I think they're starting to see that.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:13 am Reply with quote
Oh I understand the No Toei (and other shows) for Europeans situation fine, it just doesn't make the situation any less shit for me or anyone else who may want to watch these shows legaly.

We just happen to have verying degrees of severity on how we express said agrovation.

But at the end of the day, when all is said and done; here's my money, here's my money going elsewhere and here's me downloading Fist of The North Star from ***** of ******* for nothing. GG Crunchyroll, you win at business(!).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7